Soil bacterium helps kill cancers

A bacterium found in soil is a showing promise as a way of delivering cancer drugs into tumours.

Spores of the Clostridium sporogenes bacterium can grow within tumours because there is no oxygen.

BBC News - Soil bacterium helps kill cancers

A spore is not a bacterium. Spores are tricky...and hard to kill. Though i am interested to see how the research comes out.

Clostridia turns into a spore when conditions are adverse and stays in that stasis environment until it is reintroduced into a favorable environment where it converts back to it's bacterial self.

That's the deal with tetanus. C. tetani inhabits bovine GI tracts. So a cow can drop a load on barb wire fence and a bunch of C. tetani is on the barb wire and reverts to spores. Ten years later, someone steps on the fence and innoculates themselves with C. tetani that turns into the bacteria and starts producing tetanus toxin.

There is a mistaken association with tetanus and rust. It's not the rust. It's the old metal that may or may not have cow feces on it.

Dust is cool;

sem_montage.jpg
Spider webs will fix up a cut in a jiffy.

My mother related to me a story that happened to her when she was a kid.

She ws burned and being poor during the great depression, and what the state of medicine at the time, her father gather up spider webs to put on the burned area.

Apparently not only do they have some modest antibiotic effects, but they also served as a protective structure upon which the new skin could grow.

I always thought she was nuts until I read a few year back that spider webs do indeed offer some antibiotic properties and are now being investigted as one technique to treat burns.

I have a new respct for our arachnid friends.

Hell as long as I'm probably grossing people out let us also give a big hand to MAGGOTS which, it turns out, give us an excellent way to debride gangrenous wounds without further tramatizing the injured by mechanical debridement techniques.

Maggots ONLY eat dead flesh, you see?

Maggots and leeches have both made a comeback.

Spider webs will fix up a cut in a jiffy.

My mother related to me a story that happened to her when she was a kid.

She ws burned and being poor during the great depression, and what the state of medicine at the time, her father gather up spider webs to put on the burned area.

Apparently not only do they have some modest antibiotic effects, but they also served as a protective structure upon which the new skin could grow.

I always thought she was nuts until I read a few year back that spider webs do indeed offer some antibiotic properties and are now being investigted as one technique to treat burns.

I have a new respct for our arachnid friends.

Hell as long as I'm probably grossing people out let us also give a big hand to MAGGOTS which, it turns out, give us an excellent way to debride gangrenous wounds without further tramatizing the injured by mechanical debridement techniques.

Maggots ONLY eat dead flesh, you see?

Maggots and leeches have both made a comeback.

Amazing isnt it!!! I did my clinicals on Dr Buncke floors at Davis in SF.... Part of my job was checking the leaches on each finger.....

New Topics

Forum List

Back