So what does a country do once its bankrupt?

Once this nation finally goes bankrupt, maybe then will people realize that you can't have a large chunk of the population leaching off another, and that sooner or later, you actually have to pay for what you get.

OR, perhaps we will realize that we simply cannot afford to have the largest military in the world and do the world's police duty for free.

It DOESN'T? What exactly is their mission in Cuba? Kosovo? Germany? How about Japan? Thailand? Iraq?
Cuba? Not a clue, unless you mean the Rough Riders and TR - or perhaps they are after Cigars for the current POTUS
Kosovo - Taking the heat off Clinton during the Lewinsky affair.
Germany and Japan - Garrisoning conquered territory and later holding back the Commies.
Thailand - visiting the Ho houses
Iraq - still garrisoning a conquered country.

OR, perhaps we will realize that we simply cannot afford to have the largest military in the world and do the world's police duty for free.
Our military does NOT serve as the world's policeman.

You can't be serious. Since the end of WWII, that's all our military has been used for.

And politicians and lawyers in Washington have been more than willing to send other peoples' kids off to fight and die in one meaningless military escapade after another.

It DOESN'T? What exactly is their mission in Cuba? Kosovo? Germany? How about Japan? Thailand? Iraq?
Cuba? Not a clue, unless you mean the Rough Riders and TR - or perhaps they are after Cigars for the current POTUS
Kosovo - Taking the heat off Clinton during the Lewinsky affair.
Germany and Japan - Garrisoning conquered territory and later holding back the Commies.
Thailand - visiting the Ho houses
Iraq - still garrisoning a conquered country.

And these "duties" are critical to our defense and security, how? Where are these "duties" spelled out in the Constitution?

You can't be serious. Since the end of WWII, that's all our military has been used for.

But I am serious. In fact a better case could be made for WWII being the sole time we actually acted as world police - stopping an out of control criminal government - all the other uses were far different. And not necessarily in a better sense either, though the First Gulf War was defensible.

But I am serious. In fact a better case could be made for WWII being the sole time we actually acted as world police - stopping an out of control criminal government - all the other uses were far different. And not necessarily in a better sense either, though the First Gulf War was defensible.

Read up on your history, Sparky. WWII was one of the FEW times we were not acting as wrold police. See, the Empire of Japan attacked our bases in Hawaii. Shortly thereafter, Germany and Italy formally declared WAR on the United States. But even prior to this happening, German U-Boats were sinking American merhcant ships within sight of our shores. We were truly defending ourselves. THIS is what the Constitution calls for.

WWII was one of the FEW times we were not acting as wrold police.
But even prior to this happening, German U-Boats were sinking American merhcant ships within sight of our shores. We were truly defending ourselves. THIS is what the Constitution calls for.

News flash Yanko - the German subs in WWII had a Fuhrer directive ordering them not to fire on US ships. Even when US destroyers were firing on them.

As for Pearl - FDR wanted the Japanese to attack us, because he needed a war to get us out of the depression.

Finally - nothing since WWII (except Gulf 1 and maybe Afghanistan) qualifies as actually making the world a better place, something required for me to compare it to "policing" the world.

WWII was one of the FEW times we were not acting as wrold police.
But even prior to this happening, German U-Boats were sinking American merhcant ships within sight of our shores. We were truly defending ourselves. THIS is what the Constitution calls for.

News flash Yanko - the German subs in WWII had a Fuhrer directive ordering them not to fire on US ships. Even when US destroyers were firing on them.

As for Pearl - FDR wanted the Japanese to attack us, because he needed a war to get us out of the depression.

Finally - nothing since WWII (except Gulf 1 and maybe Afghanistan) qualifies as actually making the world a better place, something required for me to compare it to "policing" the world.

So....we should excuse them because the "accidentally" sunk our merchant ships??? Did they at least say "My bad"??

Even before World War II began for the United States, the U.S. merchant marine had already experienced the deadly impact of war. As early as November 1940, the U.S. merchant ship SS CITY OF RAYVILLE sank after either being torpedoed or striking a mine off the coast of Australia, with the loss on one crewman. In May 1941 an unarmed merchant ship, SS ROBIN MOORE, sank off the west coast of Africa after being torpedoed by a German submarine. In all 17 U.S. merchant vessels were sunk, and many others were damaged, detained or threatened, before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. More than 200 merchant mariners died in these pre-war attacks.
About the Merchant Marine | World War II US Navy Armed Guard and World War II US Merchant Marine

SS ROBIN MOORE, sank off the west coast of Africa after being torpedoed by a German submarine.
Robin Moore - Sunk with no loss of life.

Australia - a Mine OR torpedo
Who would mine the approaches to Australia? (Hint the sun never set on their empire during the Victorian era)

So what does a country do once its bankrupt?

It gives even more of a voice to corporations as "persons" in "democratic" elections. "Free market" practices will not heal this country, but hasten its demise. Free markets have never worked anywhere. The proletariat would not tolerate the repression needed for them to exist.

It stands by and watches its proud and elitist congress cram a health bill down it's throat.
I thought that was what was going to drive the US to bankruptcy.

We were already there...we've been borrowing money since Jan 20 of 09.

We were clearly on track for bankruptcy since the end of the Cold War. We might stave it off for a generation or two, but there will be a default of hyper inflation eventually.

The Bribes to pass "HCR" are enough to bankrupt some countries the price tag on the thing will shake out to be many times a trillion dollars.

The CBO of scores it 1.2 trillion over 10 years with a cut in deficit of 130 billion these is pretty rosy IMO

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

looks like the debt to GPD ratio will reach 100% sometime next year.

US Federal Debt As Percent Of GDP in United States 2010-2015 - Federal State Local

Are you a CPA or finance person?

Forum List

Back