So much for Christmas tradition...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
I don't know about elsewhere, but in Columbus, Target discount stores and Giant Eagle supermarkets have barred Salvation Army bell ringers from setting up this year so as "not to distract" shoppers. Fer cryin' out loud, can't they even pretend to remeber that Christmas is about sharing and giving and caring?

Well, Target and Giant Eagle can kiss my money good-bye this year.

Finally, something we're both fanatical about AND on the same side of. I will never shop Target again without a public apology and a huge donation to the SA. Never heard of Giant Eagle, but I won't shop there either.

To further add to this atrocity, Target stores feature signs reading "Happy Kwanzaa," "Happy Hannukah," "Happy Ramadan," "Happy Holidays," "Season's Greetings," and even "Merry Winter Solstice," but no sign saying "Merry Christmas" that I've seen.

Hobbit said:
Finally, something we're both fanatical about AND on the same side of. I will never shop Target again without a public apology and a huge donation to the SA. Never heard of Giant Eagle, but I won't shop there either.

To further add to this atrocity, Target stores feature signs reading "Happy Kwanzaa," "Happy Hannukah," "Happy Ramadan," "Happy Holidays," "Season's Greetings," and even "Merry Winter Solstice," but no sign saying "Merry Christmas" that I've seen.

Amen. Ebeenezer Scrooge must have been CEO.

For the record though, target.com has a big picture of a family opening presents under a Christmas tree.

If people want to donate, they know how to do so, without someone standing around, blocking the entrance to a store with an obnoxious bell begging for money. I don't like feeling like I have to donate to every single one that I pass.

Shattered said:
If people want to donate, they know how to do so, without someone standing around, blocking the entrance to a store with an obnoxious bell begging for money. I don't like feeling like I have to donate to every single one that I pass.

If you donate your conscience should be well at ease. Is your momentary social comfort worth telling them to get off the block entirely?

nakedemperor said:
If you donate your conscience should be well at ease. Is your momentary social comfort worth telling them to get off the block entirely?

I see no reason to tell them to "get off the block entirely".. However, they need not be at *every* store on *every* block, either. 6 of them within a 2 block radius is a bit much. Kohl's. Pick & Save, Shopko, Hobby Lobby, Walgreens, Walmart...and the list goes on and on...

Oh, and let's not forget the flyers stuck to your door, phone calls to your house, envelopes in the mail... There is such a thing as overkill, ya know.. :)

Shattered said:
Oh, and let's not forget the flyers stuck to your door, phone calls to your house, envelopes in the mail... There is such a thing as overkill, ya know.. :)

I have NEVER gotten any such thing from the Salvation Army, nor have I ever seen them blocking store entrances. They just stand there, ringing their bells. These guys are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, too. My dad's an executive, yet until this year, he spent a few hours every weekend in front of Target, ringing the bell. Now, while the bell itself may annoy some people, let's look at a few other holiday traditions that *I* can't stand.

I hate Valentine's Day stuff. I have never had a girlfriend and although I'm usually fine with that, Valentine's Day is a *very* lonely time of the year when I feel ashamed that I haven't even found *a* special someone, much less *that* special someone. However, I don't sue over Valentine's Day, because I know how it makes others feel and I'm willing to put up with a little depression every once in a while becuase I'm not petty.

Kwanzaa. I'm sure it's a fine holiday, but I have no idea what the hell it is, what it means, or what it stands for, only that it's a holiday made for blacks. How about filling us in so I can stop thinking every year, "What the hell is Kwanzaa?" Still, I tolerate it because I'm sure that *somebody* out there knows what it means and if people wanna celebrate, then by all means, go right ahead.

Halloween. If I don't pick something every kid in the world likes, I have to genuinely scare the hell out of them to keep them from vandalizing my (parents') house. I'm tempted to buy some blanks and rock salt for my shotgun. However, I tend to actually scare the hell out of them, so I let it alone.

Independance Day. I like blowing stuff up as much as the next man, but the next 12 year old who shoots a bottle rocket or throws a firecracker at me or my car is getting an M-80 up his butt. I have been able to deal with this, though. It usually has to do with a Super Soaker pointed at their stash.

Thanksgiving. Is it so much to ask to wait until *after* Thanksgiving to start in on Christmas? And stop having these early morning, limited time sales. I can't get up that early and I HATE crowds!

April Fools' Day. Most pranks are so unoriginal, I want to vomit. They also typically cause harm. Stealing everybody's shoes the night before is creative and harmless. Egging a car is not. Moving furniture to convice them that they're in the wrong dorm room is creative and harmless. Spreading Icy Hot in a swimsuit is not.

Now, given all of these things, I should be a scrooge, right? Nope, I love these holidays, annoyances and all, because I don't let it get to me, and none of these things gives food, clothing, or shelter to the needy.

• Thanks
Reactions: Joz
i, like many children before and after me, often had to make the tough decision of who to give money to during the holidays, the church collection plate or the salvation army bell ringer... hard decision but my first and most profound lesson at the age of 5 in budgeting and thinking of others less forturnate than i am....

fuck target for doing this, and fuck wal-mart for screwing their workers over... in japan i'm stuck shopping at the Navy Exchange anyway...

Bullypulpit said:
I don't know about elsewhere, but in Columbus, Target discount stores and Giant Eagle supermarkets have barred Salvation Army bell ringers from setting up this year so as "not to distract" shoppers. Fer cryin' out loud, can't they even pretend to remeber that Christmas is about sharing and giving and caring?

Well, Target and Giant Eagle can kiss my money good-bye this year.

I've already written Target stores off my list due to their unwillingness to support veterans and the Marine's Toys for Tots program, so this is just another reason for me to give them the finger.

But gee-whiz Bully, just when I was beginning to think you were a real wanker, you go and post something like this. Guess you're really just a marshmallow.

Merry Christmas, ya big ole squishy softie you! :laugh:

Merlin1047 said:
I've already written Target stores off my list due to their unwillingness to support veterans and the Marine's Toys for Tots program, so this is just another reason for me to give them the finger.

But gee-whiz Bully, just when I was beginning to think you were a real wanker, you go and post something like this. Guess you're really just a marshmallow.

they're not doing the toys for tots program either?

damn, why is there no big outcry over this?

Shattered said:

Poop. You know that they're not blocking the door. I don't donate to the bell ringers because I send the Salvation Army a check each year. But I understand your discomfort because despite the fact that I do support the Salvation Army, I have a little twinge of guilt walking past without dropping something in. Perhaps that's what is bothering you and you just don't want to admit it.

If you view it rationally, it should not bother you. It's your money, you worked for it, and you are under absolutely no obligation to donate to any particular cause. So if you have donated elsewhere, or if the Salvation Army is not one of the causes you support, then that's certainly your business and you shouldn't feel uncomfortable about it. (if you manage to actually do that, PM me and let me know, because I haven't been able to take my own advice on that yet)

The bell ringers are probably more useful a means of reminding people of the Salvation Army's existence than they are as a tool for fund raising. They're just one of the signs of the season. Smile at them, they appreciate that.

Merry Christmas.

true story about toys for tots...

six years ago, at the wal-mart my mother worked at after she retired from the army, a manager on the night shift took toys out of the TFT's box and tried to put them back on the shelf... he was accosted by five angry older men and a woman, as well as one of the "people greeters" wal-mart employs...

the men threatened to call the police, as well as the marine reserve unit, and then the woman took it to a whole new level...

"mister, i will take my purse and beat you with it till you pass out on that floor if you don't put those children's toys back right now... my children are marines and i'll make sure they beat you as soon as they can get liberty and come up here"

the idiot manager put the toys back quickly and then was fired the next day

other customers and employees witnessing all this clapped and cheered as the manager hauled ass to the back of the store

Merlin1047 said:

I'm sure I'll disappoint you later, but thanks. ;)

And Shattered, I'm not even christian and I can appreciate the season. But did you realize that collections from these bell ringers constitute some 20% of their annual cash donations? And they do much good work in the communities they serve, even if part of their motto is "Blood and Fire".

Happy ChanuChrismaKwanzaka!

Perhaps you all have more....hmm...ethical bell ringers, then. :) The people we have here are not volunteers - they're paid cash from the back of the van that drops them off.

I probably don't see it as any big deal that Target is not letting them ring, because next to Target is Kohl's which has one, across the street is Pick & Save which has one.. Like I said, there's about 6 of them in a 2-block period. There are a LOT of people I know of that share your annoyance.. I'm just not one of them, because for every 1 we lose, we have 3 more.

Now, given all of these things, I should be a scrooge, right? Nope, I love these holidays, annoyances and all, because I don't let it get to me, and none of these things gives food, clothing, or shelter to the needy.

Not necessarily. I'm not a scrooge, either. However, I just don't see any reason to totally wig out, and refuse to shop somewhere that I normally shop just because of something like this.

I donate a shitload of money to United Way, Humane Society, as well as all the stuff I send out to Military bases every month... I'd be damned annoyed to see *them* popping up outside of every single store as well.. Hey, why get a collection of them..say 6 per store? They can each have a bucket, a different bell, and play Christmas carols.

(Ok, that last bit was sarcasm...but again, I don't see the big deal.)

The thing is that this is a country found on freedom of religion and we have private property and free enterprise. In other words, it's annoying to the thousands and thousands of citizens who do not practice christmas to be force fed in public places.

Target has every right to not have beggers outside the door, trespassing on their property and annoying their customers. That's freedom of enterprise. Maybe you aren't annoyed, but I am. If the CEO didn't have thousands of customers complaining then he wouldn't of made this dicision.

I giev to three organizations and i don't want people ringing those damn bells and trying to make me feel bad when I walk by. They're there then to suck you in on the emotional aspect of giving which Christmas isn't about anyhow. I hope all the malls and stores follow suit.

Last thing, if you feel the ned to punish someone by withholding your business because they feel different then you that sucks. Respect America and freedoms of ALL PEOPLE, not just you.

But, Thornton - that's the beautiful thing about freedom. I'm free to withhold my business from anyone I choose; you're free to think it sucks; all God's chillun' is free.

It's a cool thing!

Happy ChanuChrismaKwanzaka!

They soooooo ripped off the Glenn Beck program. This picture is from a year ago.

rama-large-shirt-image.gif

Forum List

Back