So I donated to a breast cancer foundation . . .

ChrisL

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2014
Wherever the wild things are!!
Now they call me constantly. CONSTANTLY asking me for donations. Look, I don't mind when they set up booths or other things for donations or solicit for donations, but I don't think these charities should be able to call you at home to solicit you for donations. If I want to donate and if I can donate, then I will donate. Don't call me every day and harass me about it though! This year, I just happened to donate to another cause (my local animal shelter).

Now they call me constantly. CONSTANTLY asking me for donations. Look, I don't mind when they set up booths or other things for donations or solicit for donations, but I don't think these charities should be able to call you at home to solicit you for donations. If I want to donate and if I can donate, then I will donate. Don't call me every day and harass me about it though! This year, I just happened to donate to another cause (my local animal shelter).

Agreed. I tell them from the first call not to call again, and send me no further literature that uses up my shredder's lifetime.

I also explain that if they do not comply, they will be stricken from the list and not receive another dime. Don't waste the money I send.

This is why refuse to give my phone number out when making donations. I have a junk email account that I give.

Agreed. I tell them from the first call not to call again, and send me no further literature that uses up my shredder's lifetime.

I also explain that if they do not comply, they will be stricken from the list and not receive another dime. Don't waste the money I send.

Well, I have donated money to the animal shelter and they don't call me. They've sent me some literature in the mail, which is fine with me. I just don't appreciate the phone calls all the time.

This is why refuse to give my phone number out when making donations. I have a junk email account that I give.

I'm sure this practice turns a lot of people off to donating. They should really stop doing that.

/--- You need to understand the guiding principal of Charities: People who give money - give money. People who don't - don't. If you were responsible for running a charity, which would you call on most? The booths are to snare those who don't normally give to give. I give to St Jude's Children's hospital. I get 10 - 15 envelopes a year with return address stickers. I reply to maybe 3 or 4 a year. Don't take it personally.

Oh, come now, Chris. Donate again. Save the tatas.

How do you feel about these charities calling you at home every day and asking for money?
Yea, it's annoying. The GOP hounds me for money. They're like liberals in a way.

The one organization to whom I donate that doesn't solicit is my church.

We have something called Treasures and Talents once a year. Basically a fund drive without the formal tag.

That is every charity that has ever existed.

Just be glad you are not a universal blood donor, they REALLY love to call you in that case.

/--- You need to understand the guiding principal of Charities: People who give money - give money. People who don't - don't. If you were responsible for running a charity, which would you call on most? The booths are to snare those who don't normally give to give. I give to St Jude's Children's hospital. I get 10 - 15 envelopes a year with return address stickers. I reply to maybe 3 or 4 a year. Don't take it personally.

I don't mind if they send me things in the mail or even email. It's the calls that are annoying me.

I'm sure this practice turns a lot of people off to donating. They should really stop doing that.
The main problem is that so many charities use professional fund raisers. And the fund raisers get a percentage of the money raised. So instead of making you feel good, they have turned into telemarketers.

Do you get the caller that laughs when you answer?

What? No. No idea what you're talking about. :dunno:

The breast cancer gal that calls me has an uncountable need to laugh..

The breast cancer gal that calls me has an uncountable need to laugh..

Really? That's odd. Maybe she has Tourette's. Lol.

I never donate to any cause that benefits human beings. I donate to animal causes. Still and all, occasionally I will get a cold call by a charity where I am so nasty and abusive that they don't call back.

Forum List

Back