So how long is it till the next iminent govt shutdown?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by uscitizen, Nov 27, 2011.

1. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Since the Supercomittee failed, how long till we hit the budget spending cap again?
    Around an election?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,439
    Dunno, but I do think that the longer the GOP and the teabaggers play politics with the economy, the more pissed off people are going to be.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Obama won re-election, Boehner, Cantor and McConnell all lost, along with heavy losses in both the House and Senate for the GOP?

3. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,680
    Not to worry, the budget is in the hands of the Bi-Partisan Super Committee and there are no TEA Party types in there to fuck it up this time! Thank Gawd huh? :)

4. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,439
    Nope........just the tenacity of the GOP to cling to the oath they signed over to Grover Norquist.

My question is..........Norquist HAS NEVER BEEN ELECTED to ANY office, yet he has a stranglehold on our government via the GOP.

Know what I'd like to see on the next bunch of Democratic ads? The fact that the Dems swore an oath to support and protect the Constitution, yet the GOP decided to sign an oath to Grover Norquist.

Incidentally...........quick question for you GOP types who are so Islamophobic.........why do you support Norquist and his pledge when he's married to a Muslim?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover_Norquist

Not only that, he supported the Ground Zero mosque, AND he wants us out of Afghanistan.

5. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I don't know for sure, but if I remember correctly after the last one, our esteemed politicians came to some kind of a deal that would extend the current plan until after the next election. That would mean that it won't happen until after the election. It doesn't mean it won't be an issue.

I'm tired and don't feel like looking that up. Does anyone else remember such a deal?

Immie

6. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Well, they extended the debt limit to get past the 2012 election, but we still have appropriations bills to pass. Some of which need to be done before New Year's, and many of which will be just as contentious about how much to spend and where and on what. Might be some continuing resolutions cuz nobody wants to be the bad guy right now.

7. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    FYI - current gov't funding runs out on Dec 16th. That is the next imminent shutdown. There's a bunch of other stuff that also needs to get done, unemployment benefits run out Dec 31st, so does the payroll tax cut and other things.

8. Wacky Quacky

Wacky Quacky Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +376
    You mean like when Democrats had the White House and a supermajority in the house and the senate, only to piss it away with crap health insurance reform?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  9. Wacky Quacky

Wacky Quacky Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +376
    I believe govt shutdowns will be coming more and more frequently. Politicians have the country so divided they can't agree on a single damn thing.

10. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    Correct.

This is idiocy, the House has a Constitutional mandate to practice responsible governance, not play politics. And that democrats are ‘just as bad’ is irrelevant – it’s incumbent upon Congress to ensure the government is properly funded and the Nation’s issues addressed. And the GOP has only succeeded in obstructing this mandate.