So a private citizen can’t pick and choose who they want to live with?

This is not discrimination if it is then something is wrong with the government .
Something that can be fixed.
Or we can let it continue until the government creates some Brave New World.

The statement “expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths,” according to the complain

Well then the congressional black caucus is illegal. pure and simple.

Duh, have you ever read the Constitution?

Does the Constitution obligate you to sublet your home to anyone government forces you to rent it to?

See this just goes to show how retarded you are. At no point does this force her to live with someone she doesn't want to live with. It just says that she can't advertise to specifically exclude people who don't share her faith.

“It’s a violation to make, print or publish a discriminatory statement,” Executive Director Nancy Haynes told Fox News. “There are no exemptions to that.”

The only people bitching about this are little bitches. The woman was evidently willfully ignorant of what entailed her making an advertisement of this sort. :cuckoo:

Bullshit. She'll get prosecuted or sued if it can be proved to a judge she did not rent on the basis of religion.

And you don't really have a problem with that, do you?

It's not rocket science. The law says you can't make discriminatory statements in these matters. When prospective renters call, it can be determined in the first few minutes if the person is a Christian or not. This is a lot of saber rattling by retards.

You can't post such statements on Craigslist either. Deal with it. :cuckoo:

You can't post it on Craigslist because it's a privately-owned site and the owners make those rules, not because the government prosecutes you for it. In this case, it wasn't the church that objected.

IF, in fact, the law meddles in advertisements for roommates (as opposed to advertisements for renters in housing the advertiser does not personally live in), then it's an unwarranted intrusion by the law. Perhaps someone should explain to you the difference between "legal" and "right".

Good Lord! Sometimes I think I'll never see anything more lunatic than what I'm then looking at ... then it happens: An even more lunatic issue.

Hell, if I wanted a roommate who is male, and advertised such preference, would that mean I'm discriminating against women? If a lesbian came to my door to fill a roommate request in an ad, would I get sued for discrimination?

Holy mackerel!

Well, how many times have we seen ads for roommates that specify "non-smoker"? Yeah, it's discriminating, but what's wrong with that? Everything about the process of choosing one applicant over another is discriminating.

I thought smoking was a choice, not something you were born with. As for religion, I don't think faith and smoking are fair comparisons.

Smoking IS a choice. So is Christianity, last time I checked. So do tell me how two different life choices are not a fair comparison.

:cuckoo:

"So are you a Christian?"
"No."
"Sorry, I can't rent to you now."

No shit, if she went about it like that she would have a problem.

Reality check, and this is how non-saber rattlers have been doing it:

"So I'm a Christian, and I hold those values."
"I'm an Atheist urine drinker."
"Fantastic! I have a few other people to interview, and I'll let you know!"

Whatever you're bitching about is some imaginary concoction stirred from Tea Party hysteria you fucking moron.

So she can't chose who she wannts to live with?

Government compels her to sublet to anyone?

She can choose, but to be "politically correct", you just can't state in writing who you choose. It's dumb, huh?

It's dumb to you.

Would you like to see in big letters in an ad, "Easy going dudes looking for black room mates only"?
I bet you would feel pretty shitty. You would probably cry up a shitstorm, and make a discrimination case, because that's how the double standard works.

In a civilized society, there are limits to what is socially acceptable to say or do. Any adult with half a brain knows that there are consequences to using free speech irresponsibly. She is more than free to make her ad the way that she did. In this litigious society, she is getting sued for it. That's the American Way ®, so you should all be very happy!

Guess what, you don't go to a cocktail party dressed in mechanics coveralls, chewing tobacco, and making redneck jokes. You don't advertise that you want a room mate who is of your preference. It's not socially acceptable, and it's laughable that you are making this a "political correctness" issue. There's a time and a place for everything, and a classified add is not it.

Last edited:
The statement “expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths,” according to the complain

You're not allowed to talk about it. Nor about BET. :)

I guess if she asked for female roommate, she'd be discriminating all men?

Good Lord! Sometimes I think I'll never see anything more lunatic than what I'm then looking at ... then it happens: An even more lunatic issue.

Hell, if I wanted a roommate who is male, and advertised such preference, would that mean I'm discriminating against women? If a lesbian came to my door to fill a roommate request in an ad, would I get sued for discrimination?

Holy mackerel!

Well, how many times have we seen ads for roommates that specify "non-smoker"? Yeah, it's discriminating, but what's wrong with that? Everything about the process of choosing one applicant over another is discriminating.

I thought smoking was a choice, not something you were born with. As for religion, I don't think faith and smoking are fair comparisons.

You CHOSE a religion dumb ass.

The more of this nonsense the better.
The backlash will be stunning.

The only backlash will be against retarded bitches like this woman.

A simple rephrasing would have stopped this mass hysteria. But then America has gone insane hasn't it?

I have a difficult time agreeing with you that encouraging deception is a good thing.

Ame®icano;2876021 said:

Go make a court case about it if you feel that strongly. It is the American Way ®
I've seen white people on BET. Again, if you feel discriminated against by the idea of BET, maybe you should sure them :lol:
Actually, that could be argued in a court of law. The fact that you would even ask that shows your true ignorance.:lol:

So she can't chose who she wannts to live with?

Government compels her to sublet to anyone?

She can choose, but to be "politically correct", you just can't state in writing who you choose. It's dumb, huh?

It's dumb to you.

Would you like to see in big letters in an ad, "Easy going dudes looking for black room mates only"?
I bet you would feel pretty shitty. You would probably cry up a shitstorm, and make a discrimination case, because that's how the double standard works.

In a civilized society, there are limits to what is socially acceptable to say or do. Any adult with half a brain knows that there are consequences to using free speech irresponsibly. She is more than free to make her ad the way that she did. In this litigious society, she is getting sued for it. That's the American Way ®, so you should all be very happy!

Guess what, you don't go to a cocktail party dressed in mechanics coveralls, chewing tobacco, and making redneck jokes. You don't advertise that you want a room mate who is of your preference. It's not socially acceptable, and it's laughable that you are making this a "political correctness" issue. There's a time and a place for everything, and a classified add is not it.

You fail when you use "legal" and "socially acceptable" interchangably.

She's not being sued because the ad was socially unacceptable, she's being sued because it was illegal, in which case her speech wasn't free at all.

Ame®icano;2876021 said:

Go make a court case about it if you feel that strongly. It is the American Way ®
I've seen white people on BET. Again, if you feel discriminated against by the idea of BET, maybe you should sure them :lol:
Actually, that could be argued in a court of law. The fact that you would even ask that shows your true ignorance.:lol:

I think you missed the point.

The more of this nonsense the better.
The backlash will be stunning.

A simple rephrasing would have stopped this mass hysteria. But then America has gone insane hasn't it?

I have a difficult time agreeing with you that encouraging deception is a good thing.

Encouraging deception? I disagree. Stating that you want a room mate is not deception. If meeting prospective room mates, and then deciding who is an acceptable choice is what you would consider "deception," then I guess every person who has ever chosen a room mate is devious in your book.

There's a point during adolescence when most people realize the world isn't black and white. Then there are those few who never quite grasp that concept. I'm supposing you are in the latter group.

Go make a court case about it if you feel that strongly. It is the American Way ® I've seen white people on BET. Again, if you feel discriminated against by the idea of BET, maybe you should sure them :lol:

I got his point. And I tore it to pieces.

And are red herrings like BET and the Congressional Black Caucus really relevant here?

Last edited:
Ame®icano;2876021 said:

we're making our case here bitch, same as you are. you pretty freaking bossy ain't ya?

Encouraging deception? I disagree. Stating that you want a room mate is not deception. If meeting prospective room mates, and then deciding who is an acceptable choice is what you would consider "deception," then I guess every person who has ever chosen a room mate is devious in your book.

There's a point during adolescence when most people realize the world isn't black and white. Then there are those few who never quite grasp that concept. I'm supposing you are in the latter group.

whiney freaking bitch ain't ya?

If you don't understand how it encourages deception then you're either being deceitful, or you're a fucking retard.

She only wants a roommate that is Christian. By being HONEST about it, she has opened herself up to a lawsuit. The clear lesson here to anyone reading the story is that if you're looking for a Christian roommate, you damn well better fucking LIE about it or else!

Get it, twatstick?

Go make a court case about it if you feel that strongly. It is the American Way ® I've seen white people on BET. Again, if you feel discriminated against by the idea of BET, maybe you should sure them :lol: Actually, that could be argued in a court of law. The fact that you would even ask that shows your true ignorance.:lol:

I got his point. And I tore it to pieces.

And are red herrings like BET and the Congressional Black Caucus really relevant here?

they sure as fuck are relevant, I like to point out selective racism.

It's dumb to you.

You fail when you use "legal" and "socially acceptable" interchangably.
Not at all. Society elects officials who make laws.
She's not being sued because the ad was socially unacceptable,
It was and is socially unacceptable.
she's being sued because it was illegal, in which case her speech wasn't free at all.
You can't yell bomb on an airplane either. Get over it. Free speech is not absolute.

Forum List

Back