Smoking cessation

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
How many smokers do we have here?

Anyone have any knowledge about hypnotism as a way to quit smoking? I don't have many alternatives left!

I've tried the patch and ended up smoking while wearing it. I tried the gum and it didn't prevent me from wanting a smoke for 5 minutes. I tried cold turkey and wanted to go on a killing rampage after about 5 hours.

I really do want to quit but I just can't.

Anyone??

I'm not a smoker, but my parents were when I was a kid.

This is what caused them to quit smoking.

One night, the entire family was together watching TV. My brother, three sisters and I were in our jammies, lying on the rug, while my parents were on the sofa. A particularly scaremongering Anti-smoking commercial came on. In unison, all five of us kids turned to look at Mom & Dad, with tears streaming down our little faces.

Guilt - it worked great.

Lock yourself in a closet with only food and water for two months.

Short of that, I'm fresh out of hints. I quit because my parents thought I was smoking MJ and grounded me for the summer.

I had the same experience everytime I tried the patch, Jim. I'm eventually going to look into prescription treatments for nicotine addiction. I hear they're much more successful than patches and gum.

Wonderwench - great story, I can't handle anymore guilt right now though. Thinking of my 3 year old son is what has me wanting to quit so desperately.

SinisterMotives - If I can't find a good hypnotist, or if it doesn't work for me, I'm going to probably go the prescription route myself.

I know I'm looking for the easy way out, but at least I've made the decision to want to quit. Now I have to follow through. I just need a plan of action.

DK - what problems did your wife have? Or did it just not do anything?

And damn, Jeff wants to lock me in jail with just bread and water to survive! LOL

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
it worked for about 3 weeks, then the stress and pressure was too much for her and she fell off the wagon.

Interesting. But it did work for awhile? I'd love to learn more about this so that I could be mentally prepared.

If I can find some of the info for you, I'll put it up here.

as for working? I suppose it did and it probably would have been better were it not for her supposed friends still smoking around her

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
If I can find some of the info for you, I'll put it up here.

as for working? I suppose it did and it probably would have been better were it not for her supposed friends still smoking around her

I'm going to throw away all smokes, ashtrays and anything that even reminds me of smoking. I'll have to avoid drinking until the coast is clear, but I rarely drink anymore anyway. I'm home most of the time and my wife doesn't smoke - so hopefully I won't get the urge from others.

If you find anything please post it!

Jim,
In order for hypnosis to TRULY work, you REALLY want to quit. If you going to go there in hopes that it will cure you of your addiction, you wrong.

A friend of the wagon masters (stevie) across the street decided to give it a try, she didn't really want to quit truly, just thought by doing so it would force her to quit. Anyway, after spending the money she did, she went. It worked for a few days, after that, she went back to smoking, sad part, she smoked more than what she did before hand. If you go this route, you better put it in your head that this is something YOU really want to do, if not, don't bother and go the patch route. They also are coming out with the vaccine, the claim will cure anyone that smokes. Who knows!

jimnyc, I quit for 15 years only to start again but here is how I did it...lots of hard candy,bubble gum, something in the mouth all the time and always something for my hands to do,holding tools pens whatever....also was a mf to be around for like a weekor 4 and you WILL gain some weight...foood taaasssstttee goood!!!! I stopped smokin and chewin at the same time...the took to calling me MR.BITCH at work. even when I tried to be calm and knew what was coming didnt stop me from being a volcano....best of luck also dont forget to dump the butte trays in the car..driving and smokin go hand in hand....:clap:

hahahahahha! but you should think about it quitting! but then again, you really don't smoke that much anyway, or atleast that's what I remembered.

Im not as heavy as Jim no...but I definately have to quit!! Cant living here though. I woudl go MAD!!! LOL You quit yet?

No, too much going on right now to even think about doing that. Figure start with the diet and workout, then on to quitting. I will go nuts trying to do all.

Jim, this poor guy has an addiction too! hahaha

Originally posted by janeeng
No, too much going on right now to even think about doing that. Figure start with the diet and workout, then on to quitting. I will go nuts trying to do all.

Wow...get you off the drink and we can sign you up for the convent!! LOL

Forum List

Back