Coffee-Flavored Steak??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MtnBiker, Jan 14, 2004.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Tue Jan 13, 9:11 AM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

SEATTLE (Reuters) - The city that spawned America's obsession with strong, dark coffee is giving locals a popular new coffee-flavored steak, even while the mad cow scare that started in Washington state is putting some people off beef.

Rippe's, a local waterfront steak and seafood restaurant, began serving filet mignon steaks dusted with Starbucks Corp.'s dark espresso blend a few weeks ago and now has a runaway hit on its hands.

"The first night we tried it, about a third of the menu sold was the steak," said Chad MacKay, whose family runs several steak joints in the Seattle area.

MacKay said that the $29 steak, now dubbed the Seattle Signature Steak, was the brainchild of a waiter and a chef.

Despite being rubbed with coffee grinds before grilling, the 12-ounce steak, although a bit crunchy, carries only a subtle whiff of coffee flavoring.

Seattle and the rest of the state were jolted by the news four weeks ago that a cow in the central Washington town of Mabton had tested positive for bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE (news - web sites)) or mad cow disease.

Link

I can't imagine anyone paying $29 bucks for a coffee dusted steak.

2. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hey, that's nothing when you can buy a $40 hamburger!

3. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Damn that must be a heluva hamburger, but coffee on a steak :confused:. There are so many better flavors to put on beef.

4. SinisterMotives

SinisterMotives Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, salt and pepper!

5. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Mtn I am with you, coffee just does not seem like the best topping for a steak !!

6. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Yup, that's the classic seasoning. Make sure it is kosher salt.

7. SinisterMotives

SinisterMotives Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion, anyone who has to add flavoring to a steak doesn't really like steak in the first place. ;)

8. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Yeah I pretty much agree. It depends on the cut of meat though. Filets do not have as much developed flavor, they are typically served with some sort of enhancement, ie mushroom demi-glace or bearnaise something like that.

9. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Coffee flavored steak doesn't sound so appealing. There is also that soda, think Jones, that came out with the flavor Turkey and gravy at Thanksgiving time! now that's gross, but yet, they said it sold tons.

10. SinisterMotives

SinisterMotives Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I generally go with foods that already taste good instead of those that require a lot of preparation, mainly because I don't get off my duff and go to the store until I get really hungry. By that time, all I want to do is cook it and eat. :laugh: