Small nimble forces don't win wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't thinking of the Taibums - the Wehrmacht (the ones with the awesome cool uniforms)

The Wehrmacht had a few really good units. They had a great tactical airforce at the beginning of the war but they never developed a strategic airforce which crippled them, and they never entered into full war production till 1945 (when it was much too late) so their otal production of equipment was woefully low. They built a total of around 20,000 tanks of all types during the war, we built 55,000 Shermans alone, the Russians produced over 55,000 T-34's alone. The T-34 was the best tank in the world till 1943. And even after it was a match for anything the Germans had till the King Tiger showed up....and they were unreliable and broke down all of the time so their usefullness was limited.

Of course their uniforms looked good, they were designed by Hugo Boss!

Now go away!

Umm we are trading with Nam now, bush went over there and dressed up tin their ceremonial jammies with them.
It is also becoming a vacation area, etc.

We lost, Viet Nam appeares to have won, both north and south.

Strange how Bush did not want to go over there when he was in the guard.

Bush VOLUNTEERED to go dumb ass. The aircraft he flew was an interceptor, they did not need him. The test program wanted more experienced pilots. But you keep telling those lies.
Four months before enlisting, Bush reported at Westover Air Force Base in Massachusetts to take the Air Force Officers Qualification Test. While scoring 25 percent for pilot aptitude – "about as low as you could get and be accepted," according to Martin – and 50 percent for navigator aptitude in his initial testing, he scored 95 percent on questions designed to reflect "officer quality," compared with a current-day average of 88 percent.

Among the questions Bush had to answer on his application forms was whether he wanted to go overseas. Bush checked the box that said: "do not volunteer."

Washingtonpost.com: At Height of Vietnam, Bush Picks Guard

In Bush's defense he might not have known that Vietnam was overseas?

Ready to apologize for calling me a liar?
Or not man enough?

Retard, he volunteered AFTER he was a qualified pilot. He volunteered under a test program to see if the US could find a role for the Interceptor he flew. You know the MOST dangerous aircraft at the time, for anyone to fly, a single engine interceptor that was long in the teeth on service. He also flew more hours then required in that aircraft.

Go ahead keep calling National Guardsmen cowards.

By the way I am STILL waiting for that supposed list of men he got put ahead of to join the Guard. You see numb nuts I was in the Guard before I was in the Marine Corps. That would be 78 to 79. I was in a State Headquarters unit as a clerk for the 201 files ( I believe that was what they were called, been a long time) for all deployed Guardsmen in the State.

I know how the Guard worked back then and I know what was standard practice. There were no lists of people trying to get in the guard and there were none during the Vietnam conflict either. You either got accepted or you did not. And that decision was based on whether there was a billet for you.

The U.S. wouldn't be in the position it is in today if 20 million dumb soviets hadn't caught bulllets for us. Thank you Russia, LOL.

Rumsfeld was all wet with his doctrine.

Huge overpowering masses of humanity do - like in the Great Patriotic War - when the Soviets drove back the Wehrmacht from the gates of Moscow to the Brandenburg Gate.

Depends on the war.

Rumsfeld's army beat Irqi forces easily.

It won the war, but lost the peace.

Bush VOLUNTEERED to go dumb ass. The aircraft he flew was an interceptor, they did not need him. The test program wanted more experienced pilots. But you keep telling those lies.
Four months before enlisting, Bush reported at Westover Air Force Base in Massachusetts to take the Air Force Officers Qualification Test. While scoring 25 percent for pilot aptitude – "about as low as you could get and be accepted," according to Martin – and 50 percent for navigator aptitude in his initial testing, he scored 95 percent on questions designed to reflect "officer quality," compared with a current-day average of 88 percent.

Among the questions Bush had to answer on his application forms was whether he wanted to go overseas. Bush checked the box that said: "do not volunteer."

Or not man enough?

Retard, he volunteered AFTER he was a qualified pilot. He volunteered under a test program to see if the US could find a role for the Interceptor he flew. You know the MOST dangerous aircraft at the time, for anyone to fly, a single engine interceptor that was long in the teeth on service. He also flew more hours then required in that aircraft.

By the way I am STILL waiting for that supposed list of men he got put ahead of to join the Guard. You see numb nuts I was in the Guard before I was in the Marine Corps. That would be 78 to 79. I was in a State Headquarters unit as a clerk for the 201 files ( I believe that was what they were called, been a long time) for all deployed Guardsmen in the State.

I know how the Guard worked back then and I know what was standard practice. There were no lists of people trying to get in the guard and there were none during the Vietnam conflict either. You either got accepted or you did not. And that decision was based on whether there was a billet for you.

and they made billets for those with enough political suction.

Pathetic.

USA takes care of business against the likes of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan in 1942-1945.

havent won anthing since

That's ridiculous. The US achieved it's objectives in places like Korea, Panama, Grenada, the Balkans, and the first Iraqi war.

I am not a big fan of war. We should be working to reduce the need for it.

However, in the current environment, not recognizing the nature of today's conflicts is lockstep and quite frankly..stupid.

More and more we are getting involved with asymetrical conflicts that have more to do with protecting our interests or keeping the peace.

Or not man enough?

George W. Bush spent those same years in a state of dissolution at Yale, and would go on, as we know, to plot how to get out of going to Southeast Asia. On that subject, here's a choice quote. "I was not prepared to shoot my eardrum out with a shotgun in order to get a deferment," Bush told the Dallas Morning News in 1990. "Nor was I willing to go to Canada. So I chose to better myself by learning how to fly airplanes."
Kerry Coverage: Conservative Bias? - CBS News

In discussing his own decision, he has always said his main consideration was that he wanted to be a pilot, and the National Guard gave him a chance to do that. In 1989 he tried to describe his own thought process to a Texas interviewer. "I'm saying to myself, 'What do I want to do?' I think I don't want to be an infantry guy as a private in Vietnam. What I do decide to want to do is learn to fly."

Asked in a recent interview whether he was avoiding the draft, Bush said, "No, I was becoming a pilot."

Bush clearly avoided going to Vietnam.

I get the feeling someone's been playing "Call of Duty" much too long.

Oh they do so, especially when no one has made a proper case for the war and 40 % of the people only want to fight some other undefined war.

Wehrmacht: Powerful armor, excellent use of combined arms. Tactical brilliance overshadowed by poor grand strategy, pathetic navy.

german_panzer4_tank_panzer_iv_mark_iv.jpg

Red Army: War of attrition results when generals fail at maneuver. Brutally persistent, excellent tank and small arm designs, little else to speak of.

t34_76c.jpg

American Military: Excellent strategic decisions, mediocre ground forces at best, superb navy and airforce.

char_m4_sherman.jpg

Imperial Military: Excellent strategic decisions, strong navy, laughably backwards ground forces.

Medium-my-ass.jpg

British Military:
Awesome navy, passable ground forces, backwards military doctrine.

285px-Matilda_%28AWM_016100%29.jpg

Italian Military: Pathetic ground forces, poor strategic decisions, virtually no navy...useless without German support.

m13-40-north-africa-01.jpg

French Military: Decent military designs, piss-poor WWI-era strategy, too much reliance upon static defenses.

char_b1_bis_02.jpg

Wehrmacht: Powerful armor, excellent use of combined arms. Tactical brilliance overshadowed by poor grand strategy, pathetic navy.

german_panzer4_tank_panzer_iv_mark_iv.jpg

Red Army: War of attrition results when generals fail at maneuver. Brutally persistent, excellent tank and small arm designs, little else to speak of.

t34_76c.jpg

American Military: Excellent strategic decisions, mediocre ground forces at best, superb navy and airforce.

char_m4_sherman.jpg

Imperial Military: Excellent strategic decisions, strong navy, laughably backwards ground forces.

Medium-my-ass.jpg

British Military:
Awesome navy, passable ground forces, backwards military doctrine.

285px-Matilda_%28AWM_016100%29.jpg

Italian Military: Pathetic ground forces, poor strategic decisions, virtually no navy...useless without German support.

m13-40-north-africa-01.jpg

French Military: Decent military designs, piss-poor WWI-era strategy, too much reliance upon static defenses.

char_b1_bis_02.jpg

"Mediocre ground forces at best"??? (United States)

Try telling that to the heroes of Bastogne during The Battle of the Bulge.........

"Mediocre ground forces at best"???

Try telling that to the heroes of Bastogne during The Battle of the Bulge.........

I'll ask my grandfather about that...he still maintains that the Sherman he lost in the Bulge was a piece of shit. His delusions of 'Being the Best Damn Army in the World' were dispelled when he encountered his first Flak 88.

88_flak.jpg

Last edited:
80 Shermans will overwhelm 1 Kraut Tiger..............................

Hence why we won the war...but this does not change the fact that, gun for gun, the Germans had us beat on almost every ground platform.

What we lacked in technology, we made up for with ferocity and strategic wisdom.

Hence why we won the war...but this does not change the fact that, gun for gun, the Germans had us beat on almost every ground platform.

What we lacked in technology, we made up for with ferocity and strategic wisdom.

How 'bout those 8- wheeled high-tech Strykers................??

Really making a diff in Afg...........................

More than just uniforms - conguered Europe all the way to Moscow.

Took most of the world to defeat them .....

US only had about 500,000 casualties in WW2 - even less than Britan or France and far less than Germany , japan or theSoviet Unions 20 millions

Rumsfeld was all wet with his doctrine.

Huge overpowering masses of humanity do - like in the Great Patriotic War - when the Soviets drove back the Wehrmacht from the gates of Moscow to the Brandenburg Gate.

Depends on the war.

Rumsfeld's army beat Irqi forces easily.

It won the war, but lost the peace.

except for the fact that we have not had an official war since WW2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back