Sincere answers only please, in alphabetical order: Arizona, California, Florida or Texas...

Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Kansas, Mississippi.............These states have larger cities under a million. A lot of people are moving to these states, because of the bullshit and political crap going on in the northern states. It's more rampant up there than down here.

There's lots of industry down here too, plenty to choose from. Most people in the smaller cities are going to be more laid back as well.

But you can always do what a lot of people do down here..............work in the city and live in the country.

As for selling your house, I don't know what area you live in, or anything about your home........so I really can't say.
I will say, you should have your house and land appraised for 2023 value specs. It will give you a base to work with.
Who moves over politics? Nobody. Not everyone is a political junkie like us

You guys know me enough and have information that could help me. I need to sell my home and leave Canada, it's clear there is little for me here anymore. This was really pre-ordained since birth truth be told.

So, please recommend where you would go if one were competent, hard working, corporate experienced who needs a balance of a reasonably cheap place with plenty of work, good people and values I would embrace.

Thank you to any contributors.

I have lived in a number of States and traveled in almost all of them. My recommendation would be Florida or Texas. Specific cities would be the Tampa Bay or Orlando areas in Florida. North of Tampa in Pasco or Hernando County is excellent. Texas I think Austin and San Antonio. I lived in Dallas for a while. Nice people for the most part, but the city is too big.

Keep in mind Texas and Florida have no state income tax which is a big plus. Tucson is nice in Arizona. Salt Lake City is nice. Denver is cool. Richmond and Raleigh/Durham are nice areas as well with 4 distinct seasons but never super cold.

I have lived in a number of States and traveled in almost all of them. My recommendation would be Florida or Texas. Specific cities would be the Tampa Bay or Orlando areas in Florida. North of Tampa in Pasco or Hernando County is excellent. Texas I think Austin and San Antonio. I lived in Dallas for a while. Nice people for the most part, but the city is too big.

Keep in mind Texas and Florida have no state income tax which is a big plus. Tucson is nice in Arizona. Salt Lake City is nice. Denver is cool. Richmond and Raleigh/Durham are nice areas as well with 4 distinct seasons but never super cold.
Denver is off the map, winterish but fairly libertarian correct?

Denver is a nice city. Really not too cold as the Rockies often warm air as it takes energy to push the air mass over the mountains. In the dead of winter you might have one day in the twenties but the next can be in the fifties. I lived in Minneapolis for six years and Denver is nothing like that. The city generally is progressive, but not psycho California progressive.

If you are considering Florida (where I currently live) the gulf coast is the place to be. South of Tampa Bay (Sarasota area) is great. Ditto north of Tampa in Clearwater, Pasco, Hernando, or Citrus Counties. You can get a very nice home for 300-500K. I'm talking 2000 sq feet, 1/3 acre lot, enclosed pool, etc.

Texas gets hot as f*#k in the summer, but some of the nicest people around imho. Like you I like the Hispanic culture and food, etc. I grew up in Virginia (Richmond area) and if you like 4 seasons but not too cold Richmond or Raleigh is nice. Plus you have the beach, Chesapeake Bay, and the Blue Ridge Mountains 1-2 hours away by car. Both are mid-sized cities, great economies, good jobs etc.

Last edited:
You guys know me enough and have information that could help me. I need to sell my home and leave Canada, it's clear there is little for me here anymore. This was really pre-ordained since birth truth be told.

So, please recommend where you would go if one were competent, hard working, corporate experienced who needs a balance of a reasonably cheap place with plenty of work, good people and values I would embrace.

Metro Phoenix. ITS sunny almost everyday. Cost of living is nothing like California, Mostly white and Mexican conservatives
Nice city and good people.

The mid-South is lovely. Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina. The big cities can be expensive and also, can be quite liberal. But the smaller cities and small towns are very much conservative and the people are friendly. You get four seasons there, but the winters are short--very short. March is fully spring. October is not really fall yet. If it snows, everything shuts down because they have no equipment to deal with it. That type of thing. Summers are hot and humid, but not unbearable.

There are jobs all over down here. Work is not everything. What do you like to do in your free time? Work life balance should be part of the decision. You can make a couple grand a week bar tending where I live during the summer. Winter kinda sucks around here
Hunt and fish till your arms fall off. Not a lot of urban amenities unless ya wanna drive an hour though.

I was thinking. South Florida has a fairly large community of Canadian ex-pats. They are mostly retirees but you might get some traction around there.
He'd have to speak Spanish for employment.

You really should look at what the weather is in summer and winter. Phoenix is forecast to be 118 Saturday.

Forum List

Back