Should we remove the Jefferson Memorial in DC?

Jefferson was a hypocrite no different than any other slave owner and should be treated the same.

• YES -- He was a sneak and a racist hypocrite --- remove his monument too!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO -- He was a President and believed in a separation of Church and State makes him honorable!

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • A slave owner is a slave owner -----remove Jefferson's statue but leave the empty structure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jefferson was a slave owner who raped his black female slaves against their will, and he never freed his slaves. Jefferson at best seems to have believed in select freedom and was an insincere opportunist.

Please see the following: KING: Thomas Jefferson was an evil rapist who owned 600 slaves

The issue here seems to be, what is Jefferson remembered for? Is he remembered for being just a slave owner, or was he remembered for other, more positive things?

The problem with Confederacy monuments is that most of them were build to defy the Civil Rights movement. What they mean to people is about the Confederacy and people remember the Confederacy as a union of states which intended to keep slavery.

This is the point. What does a statue represent?

Jefferson was a slave owner who raped his black female slaves against their will, and he never freed his slaves. Jefferson at best seems to have believed in select freedom and was an insincere opportunist.

Please see the following: KING: Thomas Jefferson was an evil rapist who owned 600 slaves

The issue here seems to be, what is Jefferson remembered for? Is he remembered for being just a slave owner, or was he remembered for other, more positive things?

The problem with Confederacy monuments is that most of them were build to defy the Civil Rights movement. What they mean to people is about the Confederacy and people remember the Confederacy as a union of states which intended to keep slavery.

A stature represents remembering, immortalizing and creating an icon of worship. The separation of Church and State that Jefferson seemed to believe has been breached. George Washington at least freed his slaves and took issue with slavery. If we are going to try to erase history and sterilize the USA, we need to be through and not stop at mere soldiers of regimes. Jefferson's image on Mount Rushmore should be reshaped into that of Obama. Isn't that what the leftist want? Why not make all churches remove all crosses --- are they not flaming symbols of racism? Where does it stop?

This is the point. What does a statue represent?[/QUOTE]
That's the reason for all this kerfluffle. It represents such different things to different people. To most people it's just another guy on a horse statue. To some it represents pride in their southern heritage. To some that heritage also includes white nationalism. To some it represents oppression, murder and hatred of blacks.

I talked to a Jewish friend yesterday who is highly political. I told him I thought everyone who participated in violence last weekend in Charlottesville was wrong. He agreed, but he told me that to him the very words that the Nazi's were chanting on Friday night and Saturday were a direct threat to him and justified a physical response as a form of self defense. He said "Those people are saying I am subhuman and that they would kill me if they had the chance. I will protect my children, my family and my life."
Just another perspective on the counter-violence.

Jefferson raped no one against her will. After his wife's death, Jefferson began an affair with his sister in law who lived with him as his mistress and as mistress of the household.

Apparently the party of tolerance has become the party of absolute intolerance over night.

Jefferson raped no one against her will. After his wife's death, Jefferson began an affair with his sister in law who lived with him as his mistress and as mistress of the household.
Yeah......but he was born white so that makes him guilty automatically.

That's the reason for all this kerfluffle. It represents such different things to different people. To most people it's just another guy on a horse statue. To some it represents pride in their southern heritage. To some that heritage also includes white nationalism. To some it represents oppression, murder and hatred of blacks.

I talked to a Jewish friend yesterday who is highly political. I told him I thought everyone who participated in violence last weekend in Charlottesville was wrong. He agreed, but he told me that to him the very words that the Nazi's were chanting on Friday night and Saturday were a direct threat to him and justified a physical response as a form of self defense. He said "Those people are saying I am subhuman and that they would kill me if they had the chance. I will protect my children, my family and my life."
Just another perspective on the counter-violence.[/QUOTE]
My landlord is Jewish and Israeli. He asked me why Democrats were calling people nazi when the Democrats want Jews killed. They just support Hamas and hezbollsh to do it.

Take down all monuments, burn all history books and let no one speak publicly. A liberal wet dream.

Why stop at Jefferson. There were 12 US Presidents who were slave owners, including Northern Presidents.

So you wanna move the country's birthdate altogether? Say to ---- 1861?

Oh wait that won't work either. OK, 1877. That's 101 years we have to wipe out to get to an unbroken string of POTUSes who never owned slaves.

Then we can --- what? Pretend it never happened?

Last edited:

You know Sally Hemings and Jefferson's wife were half-sisters, right? And that on her death bed the latter requested the former to be there for TJ?

Obviously any human's life has its moral peaks and valleys so every historical figure's worthiness would be relative. But on that scale, Robert E.Lee scores far worse than simply tearing families apart, torturing and executing slaves and flat-out massacre of black POWs.

Oh and while he was president of Washington (later Washington and Lee) college, they had their own Klan chapter that would abduct and rape black schoolgirls from nearby black schools.

So --- there's that.

Oh btw I didn't vote in the poll, as I didn't see a choice listed for "I'm not a binary-bot".

Why don't we just leave the statues that have already been put up right where they are? It isn't like they are going to come to life and go after us.

God bless you always!!!

Holly (age 35)

P.S. I was once scared of a statue that was in the yard of a lady who lived across the street from my grandmother. I was 6 back then. Now if only so many other people would finally do the growing up that they obviously have not done yet.

upload_2017-8-18_9-53-55.jpeg
upload_2017-8-18_9-54-37.jpeg
Two GOP politicians....one freed the slaves, the other wants to feed the slaves..to the alt-right animals!!

Why stop at Jefferson. There were 12 US Presidents who were slave owners, including Northern Presidents.

Why don't we just leave the statues that have already been put up right where they are? It isn't like they are going to come to life and go after us.

God bless you always!!!

Holly (age 35)

P.S. I was once scared of a statue that was in the yard of a lady who lived across the street from my grandmother. I was 6 back then. Now if only so many other people would finally do the growing up that they obviously have not done yet.

The are all over the US , a sign of white supremacy.

Just another perspective on the counter-violence.
My landlord is Jewish and Israeli. He asked me why Democrats were calling people nazi when the Democrats want Jews killed. They just support Hamas and hezbollsh to do it.

Tell your friend to read the history of the US and to pay attention to the different political parties, you might want to reread it as well.

A stature represents remembering, immortalizing and creating an icon of worship. The separation of Church and State that Jefferson seemed to believe has been breached. George Washington at least freed his slaves and took issue with slavery. If we are going to try to erase history and sterilize the USA, we need to be through and not stop at mere soldiers of regimes. Jefferson's image on Mount Rushmore should be reshaped into that of Obama. Isn't that what the leftist want? Why not make all churches remove all crosses --- are they not flaming symbols of racism? Where does it stop?

But Jefferson isn't known for being the sort of guy who FOUGHT for keeping slavery, is he? That's the point.

This isn't about having slaves, this is about THE MESSAGE that these people give us in this modern era. I could give you tons of things about why Washington is a bad example of a man to worship, but the issue is that what he represents isn't the senseless slaughter of defenseless native women and children. Washington represents something else.

Apparently the party of tolerance has become the party of absolute intolerance over night.

And which party would that be? They're both quite bad, so....

New Topics

Forum List

Back