Should we expect immigrants to learn "OUR" language?

I really don't care if people from a different country want to speak the language they are most comfortable with when speaking to others they know. Why republicans want to force them to speak English in every facet of their lives is beyond me. I thought they were the small government party

I really don't care if people from a different country want to speak the language they are most comfortable with when speaking to others they know. Why republicans want to force them to speak English in every facet of their lives is beyond me. I thought they were the small government party

WTH does small or large government have to do with assimilation by immigrants? I don't care what language ones chooses to speak at home but out in mainstream speak English. Is that too much to ask?

WTH does small or large government have to do with assimilation by immigrants? I don't care what language ones chooses to speak at home but out in mainstream speak English. Is that too much to ask?

What's "out in mainstream"?

Absolutely. Like it or not English is one of the most frequently used languages for business. Services should be provided in other languages for one simple fact. There invariably are going to be people that take longer to learn the language and adjust to its nuances.
Operation Wetback How Eisenhower solved illegal border crossings from Mexico Political Vel Craft

Theodore Roosevelt’s ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

‘In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.

But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American….There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.’

President Theodore Roosevelt 1907

76VVNDm.png

I'd wager that most immigrants are working harder to learn English than most of the whiners here have ever worked to learn anything.

This question is quite difficult, but I'm curious about a broader perspective on the issue. What our Government is doing for provide them with possibility to learn English for free? Do immigrants have a right to expect all services and their children's education to be provided in their native language?
How many money should we spend for achieving this goal?

My take as an immigrant from Spain.
1. It should be a mandatory to learn English if you want to live in this country.
2. The government should not spend a dime teaching these abusers to learn English.
3. It should be an individual effort if you want to live and succeed in this country.

My ancestors migrated to America from Spain in 1949 and run a very successful business here in Florida and Ca. I was born in Cal. but because of immaturity no high school would accept me till my father kicked me out of the country. Finished my high school in Spain. I spend my college years here and there 2 years in Montpellier, France end up in the Manila, Philippines for 3 years. Did not learn anything but good time. Their language is not that difficult to learn.Got married have kids matured then my father allowed me to return here in US. I've been here in US for a long time and still my English still messed up. Trust me English is the hardest to learn.
In my experience in dealing with people from Middle East, Europe and Asia all are trying very hard to learn English. Except people coming from South of the border which don't give a hoot. They want us to adopt to their language.
Just want to share my immigration and English experience.

Except people coming from South of the border which don't give a hoot....

Wrong.
If you live here in Cal. you will run into this kind of problem daily. Not me exactly but I heard this complaint all the time that mostly older Hispanic people do not make effort to learn English. Can you tell me why I'm wrong?

Too much family reunification from mostly south of our border today. That means many older adults coming here and with so many Spanish speaking neighborhoods and their families being able to communicate with them in Spanish they don't feel the need to learn English. However, even though the younger ones may learn English to be able to work and survive here I have found that they have an adversion to speaking English out in public. It's a non-assimilation factor to me.

I know white Americans that have lived here for generations that still pronounce words incorrectly..When will these people learn to assimilate with how the language is correctly used?...

Except people coming from South of the border which don't give a hoot....

Wrong.
If you live here in Cal. you will run into this kind of problem daily. Not me exactly but I heard this complaint all the time that mostly older Hispanic people do not make effort to learn English. Can you tell me why I'm wrong?

However, even though the younger ones may learn English to be able to work and survive here I have found that they have an adversion to speaking English out in public. It's a non-assimilation factor to me.

No, it's an ignorant bias factor FROM you.

I know white Americans that have lived here for generations that still pronounce words incorrectly..When will these people learn to assimilate with how the language is correctly used?...

Oh stop being ridiculous now! As long as one can converse in a language so it is mostly understandable to others who speak it then why are you creating such straw man arguments? Getting desperate now, are we?

Oh stop being ridiculous now! As long as one can converse in a language so it is mostly understandable to others who speak it then why are you creating such straw man arguments? Getting desperate now, are we?
No, I learned more than juan language so I prefer proper annunciation...

No, I learned more than juan language so I prefer proper annunciation...

Here's a hot flash for you . No matter what one's native language is many do not always pronounciate their language correctly nor are they perfect spellers. It's not just something akin to English speakers nor does it negate our country's right to expect foreigners living here to assimilate to our language.

Here's a hot flash for you . No matter what one's native language is many do not always pronounciate [sic] their language correctly nor are they perfect spellers. It's not just something akin [sic] to English speakers nor does it negate our country's right to expect foreigners living here to assimilate to our language.

:rolleyes:

Woh here. Are you kidding me? what, we have to pay to edumacate all dem forgighners WHAT NOT to do? Right, We all share the same culture, right? We are on the same page here or what? This board, these threads are all in English, so that subtle point can't be understated. ENGLISH. And how much money do we need to spend reeducating head hunting cannibals? Not one red cent. Nadda. But I suspect the likes of you would change that, too, if you could. I am not feeling their pain, plenty of folks immigrated over the last two hundred years and learned English and got over it, what's up with Mexicans, anyway, they are god's gift to mankind and can do whatever they please?

Forum List

Back