Should the south have set slaves free!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luissa, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I went to lecture tonight given by a man about whether or not the south should of freed slaves in order to have them fight for the south. On one hand the Union used 200,000 slaves to fight on their side and they made up 44% of the south population. Then other hand they would have been free and once the war was over they would not longer be slaves for them on their plantation. Then there is also what happened in Haiti.
    I of cours em for freeing of the slaves and the union winning! I just thought to change the subject alittle.What do you think?

2. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    oh..definitely we should have enslaved them..in fact maybe its still not to late.....oh shit.. but now they all have guns...never mind...yes I'm glad we set the black man free is what I meant to say

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  3. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    My question was should the south have set them free to win the war? Maybe I should of worded it better!

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,929
    The North Raised black regiments but I am not so sure they were all former slaves.

As for the Confederacy they DID use blacks in the military, they used them as construction forces and other support positions. When they were lost in 65 they tried to free them, but that destroyed the whole argument about why they were fighting to begin with.

Politically freeing the slaves would have destroyed the Confederacy. Georgia and several other States would have pulled out of the Confederacy if that were done.

And initially the Union was not fighting for or against slavery. Lincoln was quite clear on the matter. He would have accepted any deal that kept the Union together.

5. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    But they could have won the war with the help of slaves! Jefferson Davis also at one point though about using slaves a year after many editors of southern news papers asked for this. I think you are right about the states pulling out. The south also stated it was not fighting the war over slavery so if that is true why wouldn't they free them for their greater good! I think there was 3 million slaves in the south, with them fighting along side with the south don't you think they would of one.

I also want to ad again I am not for the south winning!

6. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,929
    The ENTIRE reason the South left the Union WAS slavery, couched as State's rights. The average southern dirt poor farm would never have fought to preserve slavery, but they would when the Southern Aristocracy described it in terms of somehow denying their State of its freedom to make it's own laws and decisions. And they did. The Southern plantation slave owners RAN the South and di not care one whit what the "people" wanted or needed.

There were only 11 States in the Confederacy, the lose of Georgia and Tennessee would have split the Eastern States from the Western ones. Arkansas would have probably left as well.

There was no chance the South could free the slaves. Arming them was out of the question even as late as winter 1864. No slave owner was ever gonna agree to that. A couple here and there was fine, but arming them in mass was simple to dangerous in the minds of most Southern whites that had lived for years with the fear of black uprisings. Their militia was better then the Norths for that very reason.

Blacks DID fight for the South, some even under arms. BUT in small numbers as armed men. Do not forget the response from the South to Union colored troops was to shoot them if captured armed and shoot their officers, no trial no prisoner status and then to bury them together in a mass grave.

7. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    They were never freed. The Democratic Party has been keeping them on the plantation for over a century. The father has been replaced by the government to destroy the family unit, and affirmative action is used to enroll them in a college that is well above their ability to succeed so they'll fail and continue to rely on the government. These are just a couple ways the Democrats keep them subservient.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    One cannot help but wonder how many slaves might have turned those guns on their former owners?

By a show of hands, how many people here, had they been enslaved their whole lives, would willinginly fight for the cause which rebelled for its right to continue enslaving your own people?

Come on ye Sons of the South, weigh in here.

Make a convincing argument that the southern gentlemen treated their slaves so sweetly that those slaves would have willingly died for your noble cause and (of course) for that STATES RIGHTS issue that most of you have convinced yourselves the war was really fought over.

9. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,929
    It really WAS about States rights. The right to have and keep slaves.

10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Spot on, RGS