Should the President of the United States ever bow before another world leader?

longriver

Rookie
Nov 12, 2009
President Obama created a new presidential precedent when he bowed to the Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko Saturday.

No president of the United States in the more than 230 years since the country was founded in 1776 had ever bowed to a member of royalty. That was until Barack Obama's presidency.

From Global Times Forum

President Obama created a new presidential precedent when he bowed to the Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko Saturday.

No president of the United States in the more than 230 years since the country was founded in 1776 had ever bowed to a member of royalty. That was until Barack Obama's presidency.

From Global Times Forum

Wrong on all counts. Also, the Emperor is a figurehead, not a world leader. So double fail.

From Global Times Forum

Wrong on all counts. Also, the Emperor is a figurehead, not a world leader. So double fail.

I seem to remember Bush bowing to the Saudis.

Probably, he did everything else. Danced with them, held hands with them, kissed them. Had them at the White House.

However, Nixon also bowed slightly when he was in office.

The problem is that too many Americans are ignorant to customs that have been set in place for thousands of years in Asia.

From Global Times Forum

Seriously? You are 1) very naive and 2) know history worse than I do.

So ... then should the other world leaders shake our president's hand or should we wage when they kiss him?

Probably, he did everything else. Danced with them, held hands with them, kissed them. Had them at the White House.

However, Nixon also bowed slightly when he was in office.

The problem is that too many Americans are ignorant to customs that have been set in place for thousands of years in Asia.

It's not just that obama bowed, it's the depth of the bow.

not sure what that is. I was in Jamaica for six days and heard about this incident last night on the phone at the Atlanta airport.

Jamaica? Nice.

The people are complaining that Obama bowed too deeply. However, you are suppose to bow deeply when it comes to elders. There are three different bows, two originally. Informal Bow, Formal Bow, and Bow with a handshake. Obama did the last two combined.

Informal Bow is 15 degrees, Formal Bow is lower, and the third is obvious.

It's Japanese custom to bow to each other as a sign of respect.

Barry shoulda said.....Yo muddafukka ! You B likin dat dog meat on you tacos O is cat mo bedda ?

It's Japanese custom to bow to each other as a sign of respect.

Barry shoulda said.....Yo muddafukka ! You B likin dat dog meat on you tacos O is cat mo bedda ?

The Daily Show made fun of righties trying to make an issue of this. They showed Bush holding the Saudi King's hand and they showed how Bush rubbed the German President woman's shoulders and made her shreek in horror over his touch. What a douche bag he was.

But it did look like Obama looked down as he bowed. He's supposed to keep eye contact and the Japanese guy should have bowed at the same time. That way its mutual.

Anyways, after 8 years of the GOP making enemies all over the world, I'm glad to see Obama mending fences. America is number one regardless. When you go to someone else's home, you show respect, regardless of if you can kick their ass.

From Global Times Forum

BS. Somebody already sensationalized this topic.

The President should NEVER bow in subservience to ANYONE. But then, we know that's not what bowing means in Japan, don't we? It's a formal greeting and a show of respect. Did not the Emperor return the bow?

:eusa_doh:

Should the President of the US disrespect the customs, traditions and courtesies of of other cultures/nations just to prove he's yet another arrogant American?

I didn't think so.

From Global Times Forum
You gotta love how CON$ervative sheep mindlessly parrot the GOP propaganda they blindly swallow from hate radio. :cuckoo:

Eisenhower was a bowing fool.

eisenhower+bow.jpg

Pope John XXIII
AP5912040168%282%29.jpg

wife of Italian Prime Minister Giovanni Gronchi
AP590428059.jpg

Archbishop Iakovos of New York, Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church of North and South America
AP5909020306%282%29.jpg

Charles De Gaulle
bush-in-china.jpg

Bush in China showing deference to a communist

From Global Times Forum

BS. Somebody already sensationalized this topic.

The President should NEVER bow in subservience to ANYONE. But then, we know that's not what bowing means in Japan, don't we? It's a formal greeting and a show of respect. Did not the Emperor return the bow?

:eusa_doh:

Should the President of the US disrespect the customs, traditions and courtesies of of other cultures/nations just to prove he's yet another arrogant American?

I didn't think so.

I see it differently. Japan attacked the USA onf Dec. 7, 1941. Thousands and Thousands of our soldiers died defeating Japan. He should of course show respect,but that can be done in other ways other than bowing, bowing does in fact show deference or subservience. I believe I read somewhere that obama's bow was at 45 degrees.Obama should stand up proud for this country I'm still waiting for him to do so.

From Global Times Forum

nixonbow.jpg

ikebowtodegaulle.jpg

bushkiss.jpg

bushbow.jpg

bushbowpope.jpg

bushmerkelgrope.jpg

From Global Times Forum

No. Silly decision.

From Global Times Forum
You gotta love how CON$ervative sheep mindlessly parrot the GOP propaganda they blindly swallow from hate radio. :cuckoo:

eisenhower+bow.jpg

Pope John XXIII
AP5912040168%282%29.jpg

AP590428059.jpg

Archbishop Iakovos of New York, Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church of North and South America
AP5909020306%282%29.jpg

Charles De Gaulle
bush-in-china.jpg

SEE THE DIFFERENCE?

From Global Times Forum

eisenhower+bow.jpg

Pope John XXIII
AP5912040168%282%29.jpg

AP590428059.jpg

AP5909020306%282%29.jpg

Charles De Gaulle
bush-in-china.jpg

SEE THE DIFFERENCE?

Why are GWB and the China guy wearing pajamas?

Forum List

Back