Should the parents be charged in bullying suicide?

Should the parents of the bully be charged?

• Yes

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Not sure/don't know

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Sheriff weighs charges for parents in bullying death

The younger suspect has shown "remorse and cooperation" over the incident and was released into her parents' custody, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Office. The older suspect, described by Judd as "very cold," is in the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice.

The sheriff said authorities are still investigating the girls, and also trying to decide whether the parents should be charged.

"I'm aggravated that the parents aren't doing what parents should do," Judd told reporters. "Responsible parents take disciplinary action."

• Banned
They are claiming her attack was hacked.

Parents of teen charged in death of cyberbullied Florida girl claims her account was hacked - NY Daily News

The parents of one of two girls accused of tormenting a Florida 12-year-old — driving her to suicide — claim their daughter didn’t post the callous Facebook message at the center of the case.
Instead, they say they're “sure” her account was hacked.
The post is what prompted Polk County authorities Monday to charge Guadalupe Shaw, 14, with felony aggravated stalking against Rebecca Sedwick.
The heartless comment posted Saturday allegedly said, “Yes ik [I KNOW]I bullied Rebecca nd she killed her self but IDGAF [I don’t give a (fuck)].”

The younger suspect has shown "remorse and cooperation" over the incident and was released into her parents' custody, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Office. The older suspect, described by Judd as "very cold," is in the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice.

The sheriff said authorities are still investigating the girls, and also trying to decide whether the parents should be charged.

"I'm aggravated that the parents aren't doing what parents should do," Judd told reporters. "Responsible parents take disciplinary action."

"Sins of the Father" or its reverse is not part of our criminal code, and for good reason. The parents would have had to have taken an active role in the harassment to even be considered liable criminally for it.

Now civil liability is another issue entirely, as the parents could be sued for wrongful death and since the perps are underage, any liability fiscally might be the parent's (not a lawyer so not 100% sure on this).

They are claiming her attack was hacked.

Parents of teen charged in death of cyberbullied Florida girl claims her account was hacked - NY Daily News

The parents of one of two girls accused of tormenting a Florida 12-year-old — driving her to suicide — claim their daughter didn’t post the callous Facebook message at the center of the case.
Instead, they say they're “sure” her account was hacked.
The post is what prompted Polk County authorities Monday to charge Guadalupe Shaw, 14, with felony aggravated stalking against Rebecca Sedwick.
The heartless comment posted Saturday allegedly said, “Yes ik [I KNOW]I bullied Rebecca nd she killed her self but IDGAF [I don’t give a (fuck)].”

If the post was after the girl's death, all it would be is evidence of the bullying, which if this is a usual bullying case can probably be given from witness evidence.

Its kind of like aruging, HEY, I used a .45 to kill so and so, not a 9mm!!! get your facts straight!

• Banned
We have one yes, one no, one not sure.

It's probably world's apart - but I'm not an attorney.

How is this different from fining parents for their child's truancy.

We have one yes, one no, one not sure.

It's probably world's apart - but I'm not an attorney.

How is this different from fining parents for their child's truancy.

That usually happens only after a warning, and is more than likely a civil penalty, not a criminal one. Kind of like a parking ticket.

How could you hold the parents responsible unless they took an active part in the alleged harassment? Ironically the parents of the victim had a responsibility for creating an environment where the girl could confide in them and relate the problems she was experiencing. It's a tragedy and not a basis for creating new laws.

Parents own the devices, the children don't.

Parents have a duty to protect the public from wrong doing of their offspring.

Yeah, this reeks of a multi-million damages suit that will have the parents putting others' offspring through college and not their own.

The sad truth is that the parents of the victim bear most of the responsibility for the tragedy by creating an environment where a young girl could not confide in them about the agony she was or she thought she was going through.

should the parents of the bullies be charged for the suicide.... no.
should the parents be held responsible for their brats harassing her.... yes

should the parents of the dead girl be held responsible for their daughters suicide .... yes. It was there job and responsibility to remove the source of the harassment... her computer and phone.

The sad truth is that the parents of the victim bear most of the responsibility for the tragedy by creating an environment where a young girl could not confide in them about the agony she was or she thought she was going through.

You might want to read a little more.

About what? The personal agony of a ...what...12 year old girl is the focus. How she could have been impacted to such an extent by a texting conspiracy without confiding in her parents is the fault of the parents.

She was home schooled after she had attempted suicide. What parents in the freaking world would not be concerned enough about the mental health of a freaking 12 year old who attempted suicide to investigate the source of the problem and contact the police before it was too late? Isolation wasn't the solution as long as the electronic harassment continued and it was the responsibility of the victim's parents to monitor the source of the problems for a poor 12 year old.

She was home schooled after she had attempted suicide. What parents in the freaking world would not be concerned enough about the mental health of a freaking 12 year old who attempted suicide to investigate the source of the problem and contact the police before it was too late? Isolation wasn't the solution as long as the electronic harassment continued and it was the responsibility of the victim's parents to monitor the source of the problems for a poor 12 year old.

Where are you seeing that they didn't.

Where are you seeing that they didn't.

Responsibility. The girl was 12 years old.

The kids shouldn't even be charged, words do not kill.

Parents own the devices, the children don't.

Parents have a duty to protect the public from wrong doing of their offspring.

Yeah, this reeks of a multi-million damages suit that will have the parents putting others' offspring through college and not their own.

That was a stupid argument, even for you.

Judd told NBC's Today on Wednesday that investigators so far have found no criminal charges that could be filed against the parents, "but if we can find contributing to the delinquency of a child, we would certainly bring that charge."

That would be a stretch.

The fact is there are no legitimate charges that can be brought against the parents.

Forum List

Back