Should a bully be criminally charged if their victim commits suicide...

Should a bully be criminally charged if their victim commits suicide...

• Yes

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Vanilla wafers

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
The manager of a Missouri Dairy Queen was charged with involuntary manslaughter after a jury ruled the December suicide of her 17-year-old employee was the result of constant bullying he experienced at both school and work.

Missouri teen’s suicide ruled involuntary manslaughter
Here's the gist of the story. The manager was a douche, and this 17 year old was also bullied at school. He killed himself at home in his front yard.

In your opinion, should the manager face criminal charges?

Absolutely not. Where does the line to get drawn where no one is responsible for their actions any longer?

Absolutely not. Why judges don't throw out cases like that?

This is really a tough one and there are many factors in play here so I don't see it as an open/shut case. But in direct answer to your question......I don't think the Manager should be held solely responsible, since he wasn't the only bully.
At 17, he's still a kid, still immature & impressionable.....MAYBE....since many kids that age are much 'older' than their years, so that would have some weight in the matter.
When it comes to adults committing suicide, it's never just one or two things that bring them to it but an accumulation of many factors over a period of time building up until they can't take it anymore. With a kid (again depending on his maturity level) it doesn't take as much to push them over the edge.

At anytime someone is contemplating suicide, they are not of 'their right mind'. To be THAT depressed, you don't think or reason or understand with a clear mind. So the line of personal responsibility is not so obvious

Ultimately, vanilla wafers

The bully needs to take responsibility too... For instance when some guy taped a gay room mate having sex with his partner and they showed it all over campus, the gay guy killed himself.. the guys who taped it are in jail now I believe.

The manager made him clean the floor lying down! She threw food at him and ridiculed him. Where were the other employees and why didn't the contact corporate office? Where were the parents when the boy was being bullied at school?

Bullies have to be held responsible, but that means fired from the job. The company or school system should then be responsible for counseling and be sued on behalf of the bullied person.

A year in prison may just be what the bully needs. Let him meet Bubba.

The manager of a Missouri Dairy Queen was charged with involuntary manslaughter after a jury ruled the December suicide of her 17-year-old employee was the result of constant bullying he experienced at both school and work.

Here's the gist of the story. The manager was a douche, and this 17 year old was also bullied at school. He killed himself at home in his front yard.

I voted Yes, I strongly disagree with bullying and the charge of involuntary manslaughter in a case such as this I think is correct, this woman pushed this young man over the edge.

Of course those unfortunate souls who think of suicide often have other complex underlining psychological issues happening, but this doesn't excuse that situations such as bullying and/or shaming don't push people over the edge and where an actual death occurs then I think the bully should hold some responsibility for his or her actions.

The person that is most responsible are the parents.

If a kid commits suicide because of bullies, that is the failure of the parents, and their punishment is simply, losing their child.

The world is harsh, it is cruel. There are mean, nasty people out there. There always will be.

It is the job of parents to instill a sense of self-worth and self esteem. Too often in our society today, we are foisted off the illusion by modern culture that our worth needs to come from society, our peers, our job, our accomplishments, the approval of others, etc.

It can never come from there. As long as we continually strive to have it come to us externally from such sources, we will never find peace of mind or long lasting happiness. The only result will be anxiety, depression, loneliness, self-loathing, unhappiness, etc.

If this kid had any of tools of self-esteem or self-worth, he would have known that he could have filed a complaint at work or could have found a new job.

If he had any of these things, he would have known that how he was viewed by his peers at school was only a temporary situation, and he would have found joy in other aspects of life. He would have known that his opinion of himself was as valuable as those around him, especially if that opinion was the same as his parents.

Tough call.

I guess the D/A and the jury decided so.

All politics are local.

Darren Wilson was cleared at the State and the Federal level for pumping 11 rounds into Michael Brown. I suppose anything is possible either way, good bad or indifferent.

I voted Yes, I strongly disagree with bullying and the charge of involuntary manslaughter in a case such as this I think is correct, this woman pushed this young man over the edge.

Of course those unfortunate souls who think of suicide often have other complex underlining psychological issues happening, but this doesn't excuse that situations such as bullying and/or shaming don't push people over the edge and where an actual death occurs then I think the bully should hold some responsibility for his or her actions.
The problem in this case is that he was being bullied in two areas of his life. His job and school. Bring bullied like that in his job means he could have quit. Being bullied at school he couldn't quit. Why isn't the administrators at school being held responsible as well?

No, but he should have his ass kicked repeatedly for the next two years.

I notice the pronoun used in many if not most of the response to describe the bully as "he".

Does it change anyone's opinion knowing that the bully manager was a 21 year old female?

alpha1.png

Harley Branham: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Last edited:
That would put Trump in major legal danger
Actually, it would outlaw the Democrat party in its entirety.
Donate your brain to science, so you can never happen again
Ah, you going to cry?
Donate your brain. Do it.
Donation of your brain to science would be much more productive and beneficial to the world. Pre-stroke brains could provide a cost benefit to losing your shit over a disagreement of opinion in a free society in terms of preventing ideological death.

If a kid commits suicide because of bullies, that is the failure of the parents, and their punishment is simply, losing their child.

The world is harsh, it is cruel. There are mean, nasty people out there. There always will be.

It is the job of parents to instill a sense of self-worth and self esteem. Too often in our society today, we are foisted off the illusion by modern culture that our worth needs to come from society, our peers, our job, our accomplishments, the approval of others, etc.

It can never come from there. As long as we continually strive to have it come to us externally from such sources, we will never find peace of mind or long lasting happiness. The only result will be anxiety, depression, loneliness, self-loathing, unhappiness, etc.

If this kid had any of tools of self-esteem or self-worth, he would have known that he could have filed a complaint at work or could have found a new job.

If he had any of these things, he would have known that how he was viewed by his peers at school was only a temporary situation, and he would have found joy in other aspects of life. He would have known that his opinion of himself was as valuable as those around him, especially if that opinion was the same as his parents.

I couldn't agree with you more!

There's more I'd like to post but,
it'll have to wait til I get home in the morning

Awesome post!

I couldn't agree with you more!

There's more I'd like to post but,
it'll have to wait til I get home in the morning

Awesome post!

I think the more important question the media, law enforcement and society should be asking in this case is, was this teen on any anti-depressants or anti-anxiety, or ADHD medications?

Forum List

Back