Should Professors/Staff On College Campus Be Able To Carry Arms?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Skip the 'kiddies'. Links of course:

http://www.volokh.com/archives/archive_2007_04_15-2007_04_21.shtml#1176947872

And a follow up:

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2007_04_15-2007_04_21.shtml#1177010979

2. JeffWartman

JeffWartman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I don't see why not.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Score one for those with common sense!

4. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Kathi please reconsider. What kind of atmosphere for teaching is an armed camp where at any moment a gun might be drawn? It is an atmosphere of fear, not learning. I would not enter a classroom where the teacher was packing a gun.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Vintij

Vintij Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I agree with both of you to some degree. I always go back to the airplane comparison, I dont know why, but it makes the most sense. The teacher would not literally be armed with a weapon, its more like the cockpit of an airplane, where the gun is locked away in a box that only the captian or co-pilot can open. Same goes for the classroom, the gun would be in every class mounted on the wall behind bullet proof glass and could only be opened by the professors key, (wherever he decides to hide it) He could also tell his TA where the key was incase he was not able to open it. This would make everyone happy without putting a handgun in the hands of every student.

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    It would be better to have all facilities with wall-mounted automatic weapons that could be controlled by the campus police by remote control. They could keep surveillance on all parts of the campus, including the washrooms. The moment someone pulled a gun they could be taken out immediately.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Why would you 'fear' a weapon you don't know exists? In most states we don't consider who may or may not be carrying a weapon. However, if someone who does not play by the rules comes along wanting to rob, rape, murder, it's very nice if someone else happens to come along that can stop the first. I know those 32 at VT will not be learning, nor will most on that campus for a time.

8. Emmett

Emmett Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Why would we be able to trust a professor to shape the minds of our children, possibly becoming the most influencial person ever in their lives to that date but NOT trust them to protect them in the case of an emergency.

I say it again, and each of you knows I am right, if you were about to be slaughtered by a lone gunman, his footsteps are getting louder, he kicks away the table you have covered yourself with and takes aim at your head, I guaren-damn-tee you that at that very moment you wish the hell you had a gun and were able to use it. Now address that exact statement lefties and tell me I'm wrong. Not one of you will do it!

9. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    What the shooting scenario? Of course I'd wish I had a gun. Now what?

10. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    I think everyone should have a gun from school age, they should be taught how to use one alongside being taught how to walk and talk.Children should be given guns by their parents as soon as they are going to be out of control of the parental protection zone.It may be an idea that teachers can safely store the guns until home time but only if the teachers are armed and prepared to use their guns for the protection of the children.

I have more.