CDZ Should passenger vehicle inspections be required?

Should drivers of passenger vehicles be required to perform vehicle inspections?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
usually Im lazy and just take it for service. You would think the stealership would know to look.
Speaking of lazy, my ABS light came on last week, so being lazy I took it to a Mr Tire. (first time I tried a mr tire.)
they came back with a quote for a new front hub (with bearing and sensor) the price of the hub was quoted at 650.00 with 240.00 to install. 890.00 total. Before I said yes or no I called the dealership and asked the price for the new hub. 400.00 and they would install for 205.00.
I'm lazy, not stupid.
Will spend the 20 minutes or so and replace my own damn hub. been wanting to play with my new torque wrench anyway.
Better look at the brake lines while you are there. LOL It is a Chevy after all.:bye1:
All kidding aside, I am suprised that you didn't know to check brake lines already. You must have some understanding of vehicle mechanics to change a hub.
oh, and GMC thank you very much.. (chevy with a better interior package)
A Chevy by any other name, is still a peice of crap. Oh, forgot, I am more of a Ford fan, though I am taking quite a liking to Dodge lately. Tough to beat an inline six for diesel power.... And the Hell Cat...wow look out corvette, someone's got your number.
Stick with the Ford. only thing worth the money in a dodge is the Cummings.
and when it comes to Ford or Chevy, the Duramax out performs the Power stroke, and the chevy has the Eaton G-80 differentials, ford cant touch that.
True about the diesels, However, I do not drive a diesel at the moment. Thinking about the Ram 1500 diesel in a few years, we'll see if it pans out as a good power-plant, but that is a topic for another thread. love talking cars/trucks though.
I have a friend that has the 1500 diesel, he loves it. Wont pull like the cummings, powerstroke or duramax but its pretty strong and he gets decent mileage with it.

Better look at the brake lines while you are there. LOL It is a Chevy after all.:bye1:
All kidding aside, I am suprised that you didn't know to check brake lines already. You must have some understanding of vehicle mechanics to change a hub.
A Chevy by any other name, is still a peice of crap. Oh, forgot, I am more of a Ford fan, though I am taking quite a liking to Dodge lately. Tough to beat an inline six for diesel power.... And the Hell Cat...wow look out corvette, someone's got your number.
and when it comes to Ford or Chevy, the Duramax out performs the Power stroke, and the chevy has the Eaton G-80 differentials, ford cant touch that.
True about the diesels, However, I do not drive a diesel at the moment. Thinking about the Ram 1500 diesel in a few years, we'll see if it pans out as a good power-plant, but that is a topic for another thread. love talking cars/trucks though.
I have a friend that has the 1500 diesel, he loves it. Wont pull like the cummings, powerstroke or duramax but its pretty strong and he gets decent mileage with it.
I would be after the mileage and durability, without the bone jarring of a 3/4 ton or worse a 1 ton. Wouldn't take one of those if you where giving them away. I have no need for one and no desire to go to my chiroprator any more than I already do. I like a nice ride, and don't need to pull my house with to the store.

I grew up in the 50s when every kid I knew was into cars. ....

Off Topic:
Have kids changed so much that most of them are, these days, not into cars? LOL
Ummm, yes.
Many teens taking a pass on a driver's license
Study Confirms Fewer Young People Getting Driver’s Licenses

Well, there you go. I read a lot of stuff, but that information was not in what I've read of late. LOL

According to one of those articles, "When we asked people (in a new national survey of young adults without a license) when they planned to get a driver's license, 21.5% of all respondents said never; 35.4% of those aged 30-39 said never." That's quite surprising to me that 56%+ of young and young-ish people have no intent to get a driver's license.

I would be after the mileage and durability, without the bone jarring of a 3/4 ton or worse a 1 ton. Wouldn't take one of those if you where giving them away. I have no need for one and no desire to go to my chiroprator any more than I already do. I like a nice ride, and don't need to pull my house with to the store.
my travel trailer is 13,000 lbs. I do cross country pulls with it through the rockies and the bumps in Maryland that are referred to as Mountains. I need the dually.
But as far as mileage goes, with my 3500 crew cab, long bed dually, I get 24 highway when its empty and not towing, 17 around town. Which to a car owner sounds like crap, but to people with trucks it is fairly impressive.
My Jetta TDI gets around 45 in town and babying it on the highway I have seen 55 to 60 mpg.

my travel trailer is 13,000 lbs. I do cross country pulls with it through the rockies and the bumps in Maryland that are referred to as Mountains. I need the dually.
But as far as mileage goes, with my 3500 crew cab, long bed dually, I get 24 highway when its empty and not towing, 17 around town. Which to a car owner sounds like crap, but to people with trucks it is fairly impressive.
My Jetta TDI gets around 45 in town and babying it on the highway I have seen 55 to 60 mpg.
24 and 17!!!! wholly crap, by '94 Buick barely gets that with the 3800 V6!!! Wow. Course my '13 Grand caravan has gotten as much as 30 hwy, so I use that for road trips. It has a bit more room too. LOL

Off Topic:
Ummm, yes.

Well, there you go. I read a lot of stuff, but that information was not in what I've read of late. LOL

According to one of those articles, "When we asked people (in a new national survey of young adults without a license) when they planned to get a driver's license, 21.5% of all respondents said never; 35.4% of those aged 30-39 said never." That's quite surprising to me that 56%+ of young and young-ish people have no intent to get a driver's license.
Kinda makes you wonder, who the heck is going to be driving in 30 years? Guess global warming won't be such an issue then, will it? LOL

24 and 17!!!! wholly crap, by '94 Buick barely gets that with the 3800 V6!!! Wow. Course my '13 Grand caravan has gotten as much as 30 hwy, so I use that for road trips. It has a bit more room too. LOL
Its ok, I only get around 10 towing. LOL
did the first cross country with it when fuel was around 4 a gallon. I cried everytime I pulled in to fill that 40 gallon tank. LOL

Off Topic:
Ummm, yes.

Kinda makes you wonder, who the heck is going to be driving in 30 years? Guess global warming won't be such an issue then, will it? LOL

One can only hope. LOL

I'd be hard pressed to speculate on the impact so many fewer people driving might have on the global environment. I have six cars, yet I barely drive 6K - 7K miles a year. On the other hand, I'm a transportation vehicle daily, and when it's a car, the only reason the car is being used is because I, not the driver, want to go somewhere or want someone brought to me/taken somewhere. I truly have no idea how that overall affects my so-called "carbon footprint."

Off Topic:
Ummm, yes.

One can only hope. LOL

I'd be hard pressed to speculate on the impact so many fewer people driving might have on the global environment. I have six cars, yet I barely drive 6K - 7K miles a year. On the other hand, I'm a transportation vehicle daily, and when it's a car, the only reason the car is being used is because I, not the driver, want to go somewhere or want someone brought to me/taken somewhere. I truly have no idea how that overall affects my so-called "carbon footprint."
with the new redistribution of carbon foot print program, your is still huge, but it helps bring mine down for the truck.

did the first cross country with it when fuel was around 4 a gallon. I cried everytime I pulled in to fill that 40 gallon tank. LOL
I feel your pain, I drive a 10-wheeler for work, gets about 6 mpg, loaded or not. Just glad I don't pay the fuel bills. LOL

Off Topic:
Ummm, yes.

One can only hope. LOL

I am just about the opossite. I have three "cars" and drive about 15k-20k a year, just for personal transport. I also drive about 16k-18k for work.

I feel your pain, I drive a 10-wheeler for work, gets about 6 mpg, loaded or not. Just glad I don't pay the fuel bills. LOL
Ive always wanted to pull at least one cross country and back in a tractor trailer.
not having the license seems to be a problem for some reason.

Ive always wanted to pull at least one cross country and back in a tractor trailer.
LOL, you rent the truck, I'll drive.

I suspect we all have dreams that have become deferred. <winks>

LOL, you rent the truck, I'll drive.
I want to drive. thats the whole point. But you can go and drive in the cities. I dont want to do cities.

I suspect we all have dreams that have become deferred. <winks>
Yep, always wanted to do it but life got in the way of living somehow.

I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic (duh) and the FAA requires yearly inspections on all aircraft. We have airplanes that are 75 years old flying over our heads today. Most cars can't make it to 20 years.

Most airplanes do not spend 6-8 months out of the year getting splattered with corrosive chemicals!

As some of us already know, all commercial vehicles have to do pre-trip, post-trip, and daily vehicle inspections. Considering the following information I would agrue that periodic inspections should be required of drivers of passenger vehicles. I am not advocating for any particular period for which the inspections would be good for (ie. daily, weekly, ect.), nor am I saying the inspections should be done by a professional. I am saying that I beleive even cursory inspections (ie. tires) would be quite benificial in reducing crash rates. So, without further ado, here is the information I have found that would seem to support my idea:

crash causelarge truckspassenger vehiclespercent of large trucks with previous violations
tire/wheel failure6%43%14.5%
brake failure29%25%32.7%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Now, I am only compairing two causes, unfortunately I have been unable to find cooresponding info for both categories on more. I would welcome further info if you have it available. Stats where provided by the following links:
Large Truck Crash Causation Study (LTCCS) Analysis Series: Using LTCCS Data for Statistical Analyses of Crash Risk
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pubs/811059.pdf
The Large Truck Crash Causation Study - Analysis Brief

As you can see, if we required all drivers, regardless of vehicle, to inspect tires there would likely be a dramtic drop in crashes. Brake failure is far more difficult to inspect for, and shows no corelation between inspection and failure rates.

So, the question is, should we require all drivers to inspect their tires? The matter of how often, enforcement, and what level of govt. would be involved is for another thread. I simply wish to know whether people think this would be a good idea or a bad one.

As someone who drove commercial vehicles, I firmly believe that ALL vehicles should be required to pass periodic inspections.

For cars. SUVs, trucks, and other similar vehicles, make them occur when it's time for smog tests.

Happy to. Since the time for a smog test on my Caddy is "never again", I love the idea!

My feeling is people also should have a liability factor in keeping "non bubbled" tires on their cars or whatever. Its difficult to hit 70 year old Marge after an accident with a good 5 year criminally negligent homicide charge if her tires were obviously bad.
Not sure what you are getting at here.
if a hypothetical suburbanite named Ned Flanders kills me in a car wreck because their brake line failed and investigators found out the lines were craked would you support throwing Ned Flanders in jail for homicide or something?
The brake lines in my GMC Sierra 3500 dually failed and I lost brakes.
they rusted out.
Seems that GM knew about this and instead of fixing the faulty lines, they put out a statement saying that it was the responsibility of the owner to keep his brake lines cleaned and inspected once a year.
Like, WTF is going to climb under their pickup truck once a year to wash and wax brake lines.
No GM brake line recall, Govt says wash your car
It's called due diligence, if you don't do it, you are asking for trouble.

Dude I worked with wrecked his 2000 Siverado...brake hardline failed due to corrosion, he went into a tree and totalled the truck. The truck had been inspected (by a dealer) less than six weeks previous.

Also, some brake lines corrode & fail at locations that cannot be seen. (Offhand, some Tauruses would corrode above the fuel tank.)

I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic (duh) and the FAA requires yearly inspections on all aircraft. We have airplanes that are 75 years old flying over our heads today. Most cars can't make it to 20 years.

Most airplanes do not spend 6-8 months out of the year getting splattered with corrosive chemicals!

What are you talking about? The vehicle inspections that are done aren't NDT inspections for corrosion.

Forum List

Back