Should I Run For Local Office?

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I'm hearing this more and more. My friends and people I know all seem to bring up this, "you should run for mayor" stuff. Like everyone is talking about me when I'm not around and they've all come to the conclusion that I'd make a good town Mayor. But my close friends go one step further and say start with town Mayor and then move on to state representative, Senator, Congressman.... you get the idea. I guess when I talk politics I'm quite compelling in getting my position across.

So I ask the people here that have known me for quite awhile... "do you think I should run for local office?"

If you think not, please try and say so in a decent manner.

I'm hearing this more and more. My friends and people I know all seem to bring up this, "you should run for mayor" stuff. Like everyone is talking about me when I'm not around and they've all come to the conclusion that I'd make a good town Mayor. But my close friends go one step further and say start with town Mayor and then move on to state representative, Senator, Congressman.... you get the idea. I guess when I talk politics I'm quite compelling in getting my position across.

So I ask the people here that have known me for quite awhile... "do you think I should run for local office?"

while our politics appear to be polar opposites, i encourage you to go out there and inflict yourself on the public :razz:
let them evaluate what you have to offer; and with 50% plus one of those voting, you can prevail
be prepared to lose going in but plan to win. if you have no political network, because you have not been politically active to date, recognize that may be a disadvantage ... especially in larger communities
and please be a statesman and not a politician. have a reason why you want a position of authority and what you intend to do with it ... and that this is not just a pursuit for power and prestige (if being a politician can actually be called prestigious)
good luck in your efforts! - offered WITHOUT sarcasm (which, for me, is quite rare)

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
No, you are very set in your conservative beliefs and very unlikely to compromise them. Your chances of winning are somewhere between none and well none.

That is not to say that I do not think you would make a fine mayor, but you can't do that if you can't win an election.

Immie

i would say no to mayor...why not start small...town council...you have to be tactful to be a leader of any community i do not see that in you....and how would your participation in a motorcyle club be seen by the locals?

plus if someone really wanted the job and could use the posts you have made they would really nail you....i would be careful going public....unless this is a very small town where all the locals already know you were in a motor club etc.

and how much do you want to do it? i am not a taxpayer in a town...i live in the county....i see the abuse of power and the corruption that begins at the local level.

do you have the money or funds to support a viable campaign? this stuff costs money? how big is the area you wish to conquer?

while our politics appear to be polar opposites, i encourage you to go out there and inflict yourself on the public :razz:
let them evaluate what you have to offer; and with 50% plus one of those voting, you can prevail
be prepared to lose going in but plan to win. if you have no political network, because you have not been politically active to date, recognize that may be a disadvantage ... especially in larger communities
and please be a statesman and not a politician. have a reason why you want a position of authority and what you intend to do with it ... and that this is not just a pursuit for power and prestige (if being a politician can actually be called prestigious)
good luck in your efforts! - offered WITHOUT sarcasm (which, for me, is quite rare)

Thank you for your reasonable response. The town I live in here is pretty small, but my relatives have been in this area since before there were even roads connecting the towns, so people know who I am. Mayor doesn't seem to be a position many people want. It really doesn't pay anything and can be just a head ache. But I see things in this town I think I could change, for the better. The Mayors we've had in the past weren't anything special. A bar owner, a gas station owner, an old man that died while Mayor.... and so on. I think if someone got the job and actually DID something, the town would benefit. I think I'd like to take a crack at it, and I'd bet I could get elected.

Last edited:
how would running do with the family...my husband was simply a little league coach and it was crazy....i couldnt imagine being the one every damn taxpayer in bum fuck egypt gets to call and complain too.....you dont strike me as having the patience or tact for the coninual whining....piss and moaning that would go on...

how would running do with the family...my husband was simply a little league coach and it was crazy....i couldnt imagine being the one every damn taxpayer in bum fuck egypt gets to call and complain too.....you dont strike me as having the patience or tact for the coninual whining....piss and moaning that would go on...

Believe it or not, I have far more tact and patience in real life than I display here. This is pure entertainment for me. I take what I do in my real life quite seriously.

Believe it or not, I have far more tact and patience in real life than I display here. This is pure entertainment for me. I take what I do in my real life quite seriously.
So, in real life, you actually try to kill Muslims instead of being a tough guy about it on an internet forum? :lol:

Immie, normally I would agree with that assessment, but after Obama won, the last bit of respect I had for politicians went out the window. Now, if he looks "good" on camera it wouldn't matter.

Thank you for your reasonable response. The town I live in here is pretty small, but my relatives have been in this area since before there even roads connecting the towns, so people know who I am. Mayor doesn't seem to be a position many people want. It really doesn't pay anything and can be just a head ache. But I see things in this town I think I could change, for the better. The Mayors we've had in the past weren't anything special. A bar owner, a gas station owner, an old man that died while Mayor.... and so on. I think if someone got the job and actually DID something, the town would benefit. I think I'd like to take a crack at it, and I'd bet I could get elected.

even tho we don't share the same political leanings i could support someone who actually was working to improve a community, instead of allowing it to go to seed
seems like this may be a job where there is a lot of work and little to no compensation

round up a few folks who know you and who are locally connected. that is usually done in my neck of the woods by hosting a private breakfast, before everyone gets busy for the day
while you have them in the same room ask them to help you decide whether you should make a run, and if that answer is "yes", whether you could count on their political and financial support. be prepared to indicate what you would be looking at from each in the form of monetary assistance and even more important, contributions of time and influence
instant steering committee. and if they tell you that you may be barking up the wrong tree, then you learn that from people you trust at low cost and without public embarrassment

except for being a kennedy or a bush, every prospective politician had to take this initial step. keep us posted

then how bad do you want it...you are gonna give up a lot of family time and be confronted with issues you wouldnt imagine go on....you know sometimes rider we think we know the town we live in....i thought i knew the little town i lived in till i worked the vampire shift on er admitting... it is amazing what goes on behind closed doors and one of the major reasons all medical workers clerical workers etc in a hosptial sign a privacy oath....so you may find things that turn your stomach going on....and trying to change them may make you a hated person....so i think the real question is...how bad do you want it...can you help the future of your community? lets be all dear abby about it...in one year...would your community be better off or worse off due to your leadership?

Thank you for your reasonable response. The town I live in here is pretty small, but my relatives have been in this area since before there even roads connecting the towns, so people know who I am. Mayor doesn't seem to be a position many people want. It really doesn't pay anything and can be just a head ache. But I see things in this town I think I could change, for the better. The Mayors we've had in the past weren't anything special. A bar owner, a gas station owner, an old man that died while Mayor.... and so on. I think if someone got the job and actually DID something, the town would benefit. I think I'd like to take a crack at it, and I'd bet I could get elected.

even tho we don't share the same political leanings i could support someone who actually was working to improve a community, instead of allowing it to go to seed
seems like this may be a job where there is a lot of work and little to no compensation

round up a few folks who know you and who are locally connected. that is usually done in my neck of the woods by hosting a private breakfast, before everyone gets busy for the day
while you have them in the same room ask them to help you decide whether you should make a run, and if that answer is "yes", whether you could count on their political and financial support. be prepared to indicate what you would be looking at from each in the form of monetary assistance and even more important, contributions of time and influence
instant steering committee. and if they tell you that you may be barking up the wrong tree, then you learn that from people you trust at low cost and without public embarrassment

except for being a kennedy or a bush, every prospective politician had to take this initial step. keep us posted

Well a very good friend of mine just ran for Village Supervisor and won in a landslide against a guy that has had the job for 22 years. It was kind of unexpected, but clearly indicates that people around here are hungry for a change. They see the town business dwindling, empty buildings on the main drag, nothing really going to draw people into town as far as entertainment, and this town sits right on the Wisconsin River, which is a huge, beautiful river, and we don't seem to be cashing in on that. I have ideas... and I don't think a run for Mayor would cost much at all. I could no doubt cover the cost out of my own pocket.

you might be a bit shocked at the costs....just the printing costs...of course in a small town pressing the flesh and being a person of your word is best advertising possible....you have not address your being in a motor club and its as a variable.

Go for it.
What politics needs is a lot less politicians.

Forum List

Back