Should Health Insurers be Exempt from Anti-Trust Laws?

It would seem government is the single largest and most powerful trust of all...

Government isn't just the biggest monopoly. It's really the ONLY monopoly, since the only way for a business to be a monopoly is for the government to legislate its competition out of existence.

As usual, we're starting with a false liberal premise

As usual, we are getting a conservative line of bullshit. I posted a question, not a fucking premise.

Questions - in fact, anything one says - are based on premises, and your question was based on a false one. While I realize that, as a liberal, you are very nearly ignorant enough to manage to say something without it having any premise whatsoever, this particular "I posted a question, not a premise" line of yours is still hilarious. In fact, it's even more hilarious because I know you're more than ignorant enough to have said this in all seriousness.

The fact that the current insurance companies can screw us, deny us and charge us whatever they want, is just fucking fine by the right until they lose their coverage and one of their kids or spouse is denied care.

Oh, SPARE me the fuzzy emotional appeal to "Big corporations are evil! Republicans are their greedy lackeys! Come save poor, helpless me, Mommy Government!" That might mean something to me if I were, as you are, a liberal whose brain is so atrophied that my emotions were now having to try to take its place. I'm not, so all I'm doing is laughing derisively at your puerile parroting of Democrat talking points.

They aren't regulated now and look at how their premiums have climbed compared to the rise in salaries.

Like I said, proctologists must really love you folks on the right.:lol:

Insurance companies aren't regulated now. Right. They have no regulation or government interference whatsoever. Really, did you start out as a vegetable, or was there some sort of tragic industrial accident?

The only thing even remotely believable in your post is that you spend a lot of time thinking about proctologists.

It would seem government is the single largest and most powerful trust of all...

Government isn't just the biggest monopoly. It's really the ONLY monopoly, since the only way for a business to be a monopoly is for the government to legislate its competition out of existence.

The mergers of mega banks hasn't created a monopoly? Credit card banks aren't guilty of setting same rules and regulations and thus monopolizing that industry? If you have several credit cards, take a look at that little piece of folded paper with the fine print, and you'll see they are all EXACTLY alike.

The health insurance companies should be subject to every trust law in the universe.

Every far righttoid who believes otherwise should be subject to immediate psychiatric exam.

Hyperbole now aside, the toids are truly living in an alternate universe.

As usual, we're starting with a false liberal premise

As usual, we are getting a conservative line of bullshit. I posted a question, not a fucking premise.

The fact that the current insurance companies can screw us, deny us and charge us whatever they want, is just fucking fine by the right until they lose their coverage and one of their kids or spouse is denied care.

They aren't regulated now and look at how their premiums have climbed compared to the rise in salaries.

Like I said, proctologists must really love you folks on the right.:lol:

Well? Ya just don't mess with their ideology, is all. Protect the rights of the private sector, even in the face of robbing people blind. I'm even hearing some on the right screeching that the Big Banks shouldn't be forced to give up their bonuses and fat paychecks, even though they OWE that money to the taxpayers. Unfuckingbelievable.

It is my understanding that the insurance companies are exempt from anti-trust laws because in the course of designing their insurance products they are compelled to use the same actuarial tables and data which gives the appearance of collusion at arriving at premium rates. A threat to take away their federal antitrust exemption is a threat that anything goes now if they get out of line in the view of certain politicians, such as sending a letter to their customers to advise them of changes in important products those customers willingly purchase from those same insurance companies and have an interest in.

Premium rates are not set by collusion but competively by the cost of doing business for those companies as it is anywhere else in a free enterprise economy. But this is only true up until the government gets involved, forcing a business model for insurance companies to fit the customers needs as the politicians conceive it.

Last edited:
The fact that the current insurance companies can screw us, deny us and charge us whatever they want, is just fucking fine by the right until they lose their coverage and one of their kids or spouse is denied care.:

Let me ask you a few questions:

Can Aetna or any oif the insurance companies print money at will ; the federal government can and will.

Can the insurance companies sent IRS goons to loot and plunder? The federal government can.

Imagine how much car insurance would cost if they had to reimburse you for tires, windshield wipers, oil changes..........

.:eek:

The fact that the current insurance companies can screw us, deny us and charge us whatever they want, is just fucking fine by the right until they lose their coverage and one of their kids or spouse is denied care.:

Can Aetna or any oif the insurance companies print money at will ; the federal government can and will.

Can the insurance companies sent IRS goons to loot and plunder? The federal government can.

Imagine how much car insurance would cost if they had to reimburse you for tires, windshield wipers, oil changes..........

Stupid ass. The simple equation is that we are paying twice as much and recieving far less for our health care dollar than any other industrialized nation. Japan covers all of it's citizens and pays out only 8% of it's GDP on health. They live longer, healthier, and have a far better rate of infant mortality than we do. We pay over 16%, and rapidly rising, do not cover all of our citizens, and have third world statistics.

If you like paying twice as much for far less, then go ahead and defend what we have now. As for me, I like the better product at a lessor price.

Stupid ass. The simple equation is that we are paying twice as much and recieving far less for our health care dollar than any other industrialized nation. Japan covers all of it's citizens and pays out only 8% of it's GDP on health. They live longer, healthier, and have a far better rate of infant mortality than we do. We pay over 16%, and rapidly rising, do not cover all of our citizens, and have third world statistics.

If you like paying twice as much for far less, then go ahead and defend what we have now. As for me, I like the better product at a lessor price.

Assuming that what you are saying is true, why do we need to nationalize health care, why not let the free market rule?

No but they can sic a bill collector on you who will charge outrageous interest rates on any sum owed as a result of a claim they might have won either in court or by settlement.

You don't think it's appropriate for the IRS to go after tax evaders? Interesting. So you don't think that the $50 billion in cash stashed in USB's Swiss bank should be taxed? (That sum being only the tip of the iceberg.)

If those items were covered by some policy, I don't see your point. If you're attempting to compare minor vehicle maintenance to preventive health care, may I suggest a vehicle doesn't have the same value as a human life. Well, maybe to you it does.

As a resident of Puerto Rico who enjoys all the federal benefits of the United States but pays no income taxes, I have to wonder just what your problem is anyway. Perhaps THAT'S a US policy you should be griping about. Why should commonwealths of the US get a free pass?

No but they can sic a bill collector on you who will charge outrageous interest rates on any sum owed as a result of a claim they might have won either in court or by settlement.

They would only obtain a judgment on a claim if you lie on the application. Say no to insurance fraud.

You don't think it's appropriate for the IRS to go after tax evaders? Interesting. So you don't think that the $50 billion in cash stashed in USB's Swiss bank should be taxed? (That sum being only the tip of the iceberg.)

Americans have a right and a duty to prevent the welfare/warfare state to from stealing and confiscating their wealth.

If those items were covered by some policy, I don't see your point. If you're attempting to compare minor vehicle maintenance to preventive health care, may I suggest a vehicle doesn't have the same value as a human life. Well, maybe to you it does.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

You will pay for Obama hellcare either through yet another income tax, an indirect tax through currency inflation or poor healthcare.

Of course if you are a parasite another tax won't bother you in the least.

As a resident of Puerto Rico who enjoys all the federal benefits of the United States but pays no income taxes, I have to wonder just what your problem is anyway. Perhaps THAT'S a US policy you should be griping about. Why should commonwealths of the US get a free pass?
Maggie, you seem to be saying that personal self interest or advantage should trump one's underlying personal philosophy.

My soul is in Puerto Rico, my body is in Houston.

Let me remind you that over a hundred years ago my ancestors REJECTED US citizenship. The fuckers in DC responded by saying too bad you are citizens and Puerto Rico is US soil. So talk to your congresscritter.

Last I looked Japan doesn't have a large portion of their population overweight, nor do they have tens of millions of illegal immigrants putting a burden on their health care system.

Contumacious said:
Americans have a right and a duty to prevent the welfare/warfare state to from stealing and confiscating their wealth.

They also have a right to demand that the top 1% doesn't steal it and keep it for themselves. "Wealth redistribution" is a two-way street.

Japan covers all of it's citizens and pays out only 8% of it's GDP on health. .

More than 14,000 emergency patients were rejected at least three times by Japanese hospitals before getting treatment in 2007, according to the latest government survey. In the worst case, a woman in her 70s with a breathing problem was rejected 49 times in Tokyo.[5]

Forum List

Back