Should Fines Be Imposed on Anyone Who Makes False Claims/Statements of Fact on TV?

Should Fines Be Imposed on Anyone Who Makes False Claims/Statements of Fact on TV?

• Total voters
He just knows the truth about FoxNews and he's scared that if something like this were to happen, his favorite channel will have nothing to talk about.
You could be more stupid, but it would take some effort.

Damn, you lefties sure are afraid of Fox, aren't you? :lol:

Afraid of Fox? Why should we be afraid of Fox? I was just commenting on your stupid picture showing a Muslim protest with a line pointing directly at Progressives. I'm more afraid of right wing extremism than I am of Fox. You fuckers are radicals. The muslim Picture could easily represent the Tea Party with a simple change of the Text... and it would probably be more accurate.

No idea why you are afraid of Fox News or why you should be. But you are the one suggesting they be silenced because you disagree with them.

Im amazed that you guys in opposition to free speech still havent been able to answer who you think should determine what is false or a lie and what is true.

That wasn't part of the question, was it?

I'ved asked the question several times. Not surprisingly you guys havent answered the question on who decides what is true or not.

My only conclusion is you want the government to do so. Something both dangerous and foolish.

You could be more stupid, but it would take some effort.

Damn, you lefties sure are afraid of Fox, aren't you? :lol:

Afraid of Fox? Why should we be afraid of Fox? I was just commenting on your stupid picture showing a Muslim protest with a line pointing directly at Progressives. I'm more afraid of right wing extremism than I am of Fox. You fuckers are radicals. The muslim Picture could easily represent the Tea Party with a simple change of the Text... and it would probably be more accurate.

No idea why you are afraid of Fox News or why you should be. But you are the one suggesting they be silenced because you disagree with them.

wow... when did I say it was just Fox that i was railing against? Oh, that's right... never.

I don't want lies from the progressive side either.

I have been following politics for 50 years and without exception every political figure lies in one way or another. Today's lies are no worse than yesterdays lies. What is worse today is the repetition and embellishment by the media.

By today's standards a mistake is a lie as is reversal of positions or a facial expression. Even silence is interpreted as a lie.

We now have a free media, which distresses many. For years, America's own Josef Goebbels, to wit Edward Murrow, managed the news the American people were privy to. When three networks ruled the airwaves and the NY Times rode roughshod on print, it was an easy task to manage information and ensure the people thought what they were supposed to think.

But Murrow is dead, the USSR has fallen and cable plus the internet have made it impossible to manufacture news the way it was done for so long.

People now have the ability to see all side of any issue, not just what the party wants them to know. Some are desperate to return to the days when the only information available to the public was that which the left elite wanted known.
You may not be able to manufacture news today, but you can certainly embellish it to the point that it has little resemblance to the truth. Surfing the Internet for news is about as reliable as listening to conversations overheard at the grocery store. Editorial content and news is mixed together with no attempt to separate the two. The exception is the established news outlets, major networks and newspapers where they actually have journalists not just writers. They have a name and reputation to protect, unlike many of the so called internet news organizational.

George Soros, through Media Matters, KOS and MoveOn - told him what the truth is. Anything that differs from the truth imparted by Soros MUST be silenced!

fuck you. feel free to peruse all my posts and see if I quote, or even mention any of those sources. I fucking DARE you. I make up my own mind on these matters.

But once again... A liberal could say the same about Koch, FOX and Murdoch.

Big Black Dog, LaterTrader, MarcATL, mudwhistle, Steelplate, uscitizen, westwall

^ We're now up to seven epic failures of humanity that voted yes.

Epic failures of Humanity? That's a little extreme, isn't it? Just because we voted yes in a meaningless Message board poll?

Maybe some of us have grown weary of people like Beck and Hannity, Maddow and Olbermann. People who just stir shit instead of reporting the news and letting people think for themselves.

What can I say, I'm a purveyor of hyperbole.

But the idea is still as stupid as they come. One need only contemplate for 10 seconds the practical application to conclude likewise. Did you only dedicate 3 seconds? Or was it less?

There's no good reason to vote yes that I can think of.

It would be run by the Fed, further increasing it's cost and power.
It would become a political weapon. Whoever is in charge can fuckover whoever is not.
It could be someones opinion as to what a lie is.

No, this is just more tryanny.

^ Even Two Thumbs gets it.

You yes voters should really feel stupid right about now. No offense.

You may not be able to manufacture news today, but you can certainly embellish it to the point that it has little resemblance to the truth.

Perhaps, but that's irrelevant as there are dozens of other sources which offer the other side of the story. And that's what really distresses the fascist left, that Fox News offers facts and angles of stories that the party doesn't want known.

Surfing the Internet for news is about as reliable as listening to conversations overheard at the grocery store.

So about 5000 times more reliable than getting news from the leftist media, then?

Editorial content and news is mixed together with no attempt to separate the two.

Generally, what you claim is false. Fox VERY clearly distinguishes editorial and news content. Hannity is commentary - no one but the left is confused by that. Of course MSNBC put that fucking goon Olbermann as their Anchor, but the left is sans integrity.

The exception is the established news outlets, major networks and newspapers where they actually have journalists not just writers.

ROFL

The worst offender for editorializing on the front page is the leftist LA Times.

They have a name and reputation to protect, unlike many of the so called internet news organizational.

Yer killing me man...

{Rick Bragg, 43, a Pulitzer Prize-winning author for The New York Times, resigned on May 28, around controversial practices involving freelance reporters.

While Rick Bragg used his byline on a story written by freelancers, he told the Associated Press (AP) that the atmosphere at the Times had become torturous. The New York Times says it should have attributed the story byline to Rick Bragg and the freelancer on the scene. Jayson Blair But Rick Bragg told the AP it is common practice to leave freelancers out of print. It is impossible for a freelancer to get a byline at The New York Times, he said.

The freelancer, J. Wes Yoder, a recent college graduate wrote Rick Bragg's piece for free.

Jayson Blair, 27, resigned from The New York Times in April after the newspaper found fraud, plagiarism, and inaccuracies in 36 of 73 stories authored by Jayson Blair. Both incidents have The New York Times reviewing its editorial and hiring practices, and rethinking its use of freelancers.

According to Rick Bragg, he was intent on leaving The New York Times anyway, to fulfill two book contracts with Random House. Do you think he'll use the story J. Wes Yoder wrote for him? }

T&A: New York Times, Bragg, Blair, Yoder

The NY Times, all the fraud that serves the party...

Avatar4321, boedicca, Charles_Main, daveman, Dont Taz Me Bro, Dude111, FuelRod, JWBooth, manifold, midcan5, Missourian, Quantum Windbag, Ragnar, theDoctorisIn, Two Thumbs, Uncensored2008, Wonky Pundit

^ Intellectual winners!

At least this time around anyway.

Avatar4321, boedicca, Charles_Main, daveman, Dont Taz Me Bro, Dude111, FuelRod, JWBooth, manifold, midcan5, Missourian, Quantum Windbag, Ragnar, theDoctorisIn, Two Thumbs, Uncensored2008, Wonky Pundit

^ Intellectual winners!

At least this time around anyway.

Don't worry. I won't let it go to me head. We all have lucky days ;)

Will you support such a law if the GOP is in charge?
In charge of what...the law?!??

No party is "in charge" of the law, you Dittohead, we're a nation of laws, not men.

It shouldn't matter WHO'S "in charge."

Capice?!?

No, you idiot...who decides what's the truth? Because your and I do not agree on what the truth is.

Are you a fool?!??

The bolded is utter nonsense and the crux of the problem we have today.

The idea, or reality, that many people think that truth is different depending upon ideology. Because that's exactly what you're suggesting by that statement.

There are facts and there are lies.

Facts can be proven to be true.

For instance, it's a fact that Prosser choked his fellow judge Bradley. That's a fact. As it's provable to be either true or false.

An opinion would be he's a savage for doing that, that's an opinion.

You and your ilk have a serious problem with determining what is fact from fiction.

Snap out of it!!!

Fry_-snap-out-of-it.jpg

LOL, if some of you are so into this, the first person you can prosecute is BILLY BOY CLINTON.
:lol:

Some people and their dumb ideas, they say, the hell with our FREEDOMS OF SPEECH.

Last edited:

It would become a political weapon. Whoever is in charge can fuckover whoever is not.

YEA!! Even I get it! And I'm not sure if I'm being insulted or not. :) :frown:

Obama has already given us a perfect example of why this is a horrible idea.

He has given us the euphamism "spending cuts in the tax code", which by all intellectually honest accounts means increases in tax revenues and not a 'cut' in spending at all.

You'd have a pundit on Fox News declaring: Obama's budget proposal does not include any spending cuts.

You'd have a pundit on MSNBC declaring: Obama's budget proposal includes targeted spending cuts.

Two pundits declaring the exact opposite. But which one gets fined I wonder?

In charge of what...the law?!??

No party is "in charge" of the law, you Dittohead, we're a nation of laws, not men.

It shouldn't matter WHO'S "in charge."

Capice?!?

No, you idiot...who decides what's the truth? Because your and I do not agree on what the truth is.

Are you a fool?!??

The bolded is utter nonsense and the crux of the problem we have today.

The idea, or reality, that many people think that truth is different depending upon ideology. Because that's exactly what you're suggesting by that statement.

There are facts and there are lies.

Facts can be proven to be true.

For instance, it's a fact that Prosser choked his fellow judge Bradley. That's a fact. As it's provable to be either true or false.

An opinion would be he's a savage for doing that, that's an opinion.

You and your ilk have a serious problem with determining what is fact from fiction.

Snap out of it!!!

Fry_-snap-out-of-it.jpg

If he hasn't been convicted of assualt, you just commited slander, b/c it's not a fact, unless he confessed. Until he confesses or is proven guilty, it's hearsay

YEA!! Even I get it! And I'm not sure if I'm being insulted or not. :) :frown:

Be honest: you just took your cue from me. :lol:

What are we supposed to gather from the poll results. Are the people who voted no are okay with:

1. being lied to?

and

2. allowing the political opposition (as well as their own side) demagogue the issues by spreading misinformation and disinformation?

What are we supposed to gather from the poll results. Are the people who voted no are okay with:

1. being lied to?

and

2. allowing the political opposition (as well as their own side) demagogue the issues by spreading misinformation and disinformation?

The solution you proposed doesn't solve either one of these problems. That's why so many people voted no.

Forum List

Back