Should CA's Central Valley Secede

Sactowndog

VIP Member
Jul 4, 2011
An interesting case can be made that the cities of Stockton, Fresno, Modesto and Bakersfield should secede. They would be about the same size as Oklahoma. They would have Senators who would care about agriculture. They could control their water rights for Agriculture instead of losing them to the cities. Lastly the could establish research institutions that would drive investment and job growth in the poorest areas of CA.

Such a state would be reliably Republican and would change the calculation of electoral politics and the Senate balance of power.

Last edited:
Let's see, if you have senators who don't seem to care about their constituency what's the best thing to do? Secede or try to get a better senator?

I think the whole State of California should secede and when they do be sure to take Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer with them.

Let's see, if you have senators who don't seem to care about their constituency what's the best thing to do? Secede or try to get a better senator?

The Ca senators represent the states interests. Boxer is on technology committees which is highly appropriate. The problem for Ca is they are really like taking Virginia (southern Ca), Oklahoma (central Valley), and Massachusetts (bay area/ northern coast) all under one government and represented by a single pair of senators. At 37M people Ca is still bigger than those three combined.

I think the whole State of California should secede and when they do be sure to take Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer with them.

Yes, then they can go back to Mexico.....after all most of Mexico has come to them.

And we pay for it.

There was a county councilman in Riverside last year who seriously proposed that the eastern half of California should secede from the rest.

Should San Bernardino County Secede? One Official Thinks So - Redlands-Loma Linda, CA Patch

Highly unlikely to happen, though

Water rights are the biggest problem. Plus his split was purely political but other splits make more sense. At 37M people, Ca is too big and too diverse to be a single state and be governed effectively.

But you do have 3 areas that make sense:

South of the Tehachpi's:
Industry: Aerospace, defense and entertainment
Predominately urban
Political: Swing State

Northern Coast
Industry: Technological, Biotech, some ag
Mixed urban, rural
Political: heavy democratic

Central Valley
Industry: Agricultural, Food Processing
Predominately rural
Political: Heavy Republican

Why not just get bulldozers and push the whole state into the sea and them turn around and do the same with the upper east coast starting with New York. It works for me.

An interesting case can be made that the cities of Stockton, Fresno, Modesto and Bakersfield should secede. They would be about the same size as Oklahoma. They would have Senators who would care about agriculture. They could control their water rights for Agriculture instead of losing them to the cities. Lastly the could establish research institutions that would drive investment and job growth in the poorest areas of CA.

Such a state would be reliably Republican and would change the calculation of electoral politics and the Senate balance of power.

Has there been any serious talk of this in the area ?

Why not just get bulldozers and push the whole state into the sea and them turn around and do the same with the upper east coast starting with New York. It works for me.

You flyover people would give your right nut to be able to live in NY, aka The Center of the Universe.

A federal judge turned off the water. He would have done that no matter what state it was.

You flyover people would give your right nut to be able to live in NY, aka The Center of the Universe.

I wouldn't live in New York if you gave me free rent.

Couple of things need to happen in order of that to come to pass.

Article IV of the United States Constitution provides for the creation of new states of the Union, requiring that any such creation be approved by the legislature of the affected state(s), as well as the United States Congress.

Last I checked the CA. legislature is a majority Democrat and would be hard to convince a legislature that is controlled by one party that they should allow a portion of the state to form another within it's boundry, especially if that state will be dominated by the opposite party. Having said this, given CA. financial problems, the idea of a state like California doing such a thing is not without merit, in that those cities, towns, and citizens that go into the new state are no longer an impact on the budget of California. I would not look for this to happen anytime soon though, because the last state to do this with was West Virginia in 1863, since then several have tried and have gotten no where.

Last edited:

No kidding, why anyone wants to live there is beyond me, I don't mind visiting but I am happy to get out of there.

No kidding, why anyone wants to live there is beyond me, I don't mind visiting but I am happy to get out of there.

I like New York. I love Upstate NY with the lakes and the trees and the rivers. Other than Montana, it's probably the prettiest place I've seen in the states (I haven't been to Hawaii or Alaska). As for NYC, I love Manhattan when I was there. I walked all around the city and it great. Empire State, Time Square, MSG, Wall Street, Central Park. It was great. It's amazing what happens when you edge into the Bronx and it is that bad. It made me happy to not visit Brooklyn or Harlem.

God can San Diego tag along with the Valley, I would finally move there, if it's no associated with the San Francisco queers and left wing loons of the Gay area

Forum List

Back