Shiva vs. Satan: A Commercial Debacle

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is modernism-parable involving Shiva (Hindu god of destruction) and Satan (Christian adversary of mankind) and a special 'soul-wager' regarding commerce/consumerism redeemability.

This vignette was inspired by Oh, God! You Devil and The Legend of Bagger Vance.

Signing off,

====

Shiva surveyed the modern world and took note of how consumerism culture had created a sort of moral obesity and laziness. He wondered if Wall Street stockbrokers would dangerously be considered 'civilization priests' rather than mercantilism-facilitators! Shiva's meditation and prayers were heard by the adversary of mankind Satan who wanted to engage the Hindu master of destruction in a special 'contest.' The contest would determine if mankind was redeemable despite its obvious obsession with fortune and toys and cheeseburgers!

SHIVA: Since you're pestering me, I'll tell you I have no qualms with Planet Hollywood.
SATAN: Yet, you frown upon Hollywood films such as Wall Street and Fight Club.
SHIVA: I'm simply concerned about America's preoccupation with leisure.
SATAN: Commerce creates a social demand for pleasure (toys!).
SHIVA: I doubt that's natural, and man can still resist the temptations of gluttony.
SATAN: Americans sit idly and watch The People's Court and Iron Chef America!
SHIVA: Media is a learning-aide, not a prescription, Satan...
SATAN: Yet, Lord Shiva, you must confess that capitalism games are 'exciting.'
SHIVA: I dare you to produce a stockbroker who's 'excited' about gambling.
SATAN: Let us see then if I can produce such a 'pawn.'

Satan went out looking for a meek and foolish Wall Street stockbroker who was taking specious orders and making speculative investments for his firm. The stockbroker Satan found was a German-American man named James Krieg. Krieg was investing heavily in fast food companies and believed the sector was a 'lucrative' long-term gamble (given the modern world's preoccupation with convenience-goods). Satan realized Krieg would do anything to confirm this 'theory' that investing in Burger King would be like winning the lottery.

SHIVA: So you found a 'fool' named James Krieg.
SATAN: Yes, Shiva, and he'll do anything to profit from cheeseburgers!
SHIVA: Well, that remains to be seen, Satan...
SATAN: You express such idealism in redemption, yet you frown upon Wall Street.
SHIVA: I will destroy anything that threatens temperance.
SATAN: Really? Well, I wager that such 'authority' is unwarranted on the foolish.
SHIVA: James Krieg will not gamble away everything on Burger King.
SATAN: We'll see...

Satan was correct, unfortunately. Krieg gambled huge on fast food and when that market sector crashed after a terrible FDA debacle, Krieg was ruined. Satan approached Krieg with the alluring offer of 'saving' his soul by making him a 'priest' of bankruptcy, and Krieg accepted the offer (given his dire straits!). Satan gloated that a foolish stockbroker literally had to be 'expunged' from the sea of commerce in modern times. Satan returned to Shiva, expecting to win the debate/discussion without question!

SHIVA: You think you've 'captured' a soul, but you're only 'caged' a pirate.
SATAN: Krieg was indeed a pirate, and he's proven that stockbrokers like to gamble.
SHIVA: Every mind has the 'free right' to gamble, but we must preside over wantonness.
SATAN: Do you still care if movie stars and models exemplify sin?
SHIVA: My role here is to differentiate between gluttony and civility...
SATAN: I wager that Americans will one day experiment with cannibalism.
SHIVA: If American politicians 'sanction' eating the poor, then destruction looms.
SATAN: I will concede that sin is childish, but I've proven that man is ugly!

====

shiva-satan.jpg

Forum List

Back