Sexual Orientation: What are it's causes?

Sorry I'm late to this party but here's my $0.02:

In the question of Nature vs Nurture, I believe it is a little of both. I believe that there are people who are genetically susceptable to being homosexual, and it takes a stressor in the environment to shift them in that direction. I base my theory on the many friends I have who are gay.

Chip, who is 32 years old and gay has a total shit bag for a mother. his older sister could do no wrong and Chip can do no right. Chip is a very talented artist, designer, and is highly sought after in his job. He and I have collaborated on some really fine projects. he's a generally nice guy. His mom is a beast from hell.

Jamie who I think is about 30, is a lesbian friend who I met via my daughter. She's funny, vibrant and being in her company is always good for one's soul. Her brother, whom she grew up admiring was tragically killed while she watched. I don't know the details, because she can't speak of it still after all these years.

Jon, a gay friend who only recently came out, has always been a troubled soul. i have known him for many years. We were among a group of good friends who drank a whole lot of alchohol in our days. he's adopted and his rich parents are psycho. I never liked them.

Phil, another Gay friend who recently came out, though it was no surprise to anyone, has a past he won't talk about at all. Since he came out he's been likethe phoenix rising from the ashes. The change in him is astounding. He is now on to greater things.

I vote both nature and nurture.

I have given too much rep, but I have a long attention span and will remember.

I definately do not believe it is a choice.

Being a homo is a choice; a pathetic choice, but a choice none the less. :doubt:

Agreed, a sick pathetic choice, to allow a Homosexual demon from another dimension to take over
your sexual preference.

It may also be of demonic origin.

I'm sure that's what it is. Demons. Republicans believe in Demons. If they didn't, Demons wouldn't exist. They have the Republicans to thank.

What's that smell?

Oh, it's rdean coming to stink up another thread.

Sorry I'm late to this party but here's my $0.02:

In the question of Nature vs Nurture, I believe it is a little of both. I believe that there are people who are genetically susceptable to being homosexual, and it takes a stressor in the environment to shift them in that direction. I base my theory on the many friends I have who are gay.

Chip, who is 32 years old and gay has a total shit bag for a mother. his older sister could do no wrong and Chip can do no right. Chip is a very talented artist, designer, and is highly sought after in his job. He and I have collaborated on some really fine projects. he's a generally nice guy. His mom is a beast from hell.

Jamie who I think is about 30, is a lesbian friend who I met via my daughter. She's funny, vibrant and being in her company is always good for one's soul. Her brother, whom she grew up admiring was tragically killed while she watched. I don't know the details, because she can't speak of it still after all these years.

Jon, a gay friend who only recently came out, has always been a troubled soul. i have known him for many years. We were among a group of good friends who drank a whole lot of alchohol in our days. he's adopted and his rich parents are psycho. I never liked them.

Phil, another Gay friend who recently came out, though it was no surprise to anyone, has a past he won't talk about at all. Since he came out he's been likethe phoenix rising from the ashes. The change in him is astounding. He is now on to greater things.

I vote both nature and nurture.

I have given too much rep, but I have a long attention span and will remember.

I could go on about these three people, and some of my other friends, but these are the closest.

Quantum Windbag, what do you believe? Do you believe it is a choice or that it is not a choice? Conclusive scientific evidence or not, which do you believe is more likely?

This is just a question based on curiosity... nothing more, nothing less.

Quantum Windbag, what do you believe? Do you believe it is a choice or that it is not a choice? Conclusive scientific evidence or not, which do you believe is more likely?

Personally, I think it is a matter of choice. Unfortunately not everyone makes a choice, most people prefer to pretend they do not have one.

Do you have any scientific evidence to support this claim?

In fairness, there is no conclusive scientific evidence that it is genetic.

Though I suspect that one day we will discover that it is. Complex polygenic pathway.

When that happens, bigots will no longer be able to hide behind the guise of their hatred being acceptable because it's a "choice".

That is the most idiotic thing that has been said in this entire thread, and I am actually aware of the comments about demonic possession. No one is hiding behind the belief it is a choice to hide anything, the people that hate will continue to hate even if you give them proof that they are wrong because hate is not based on information and is only subject to logic if the person who hates chooses to learn. Maybe you should try thinking instead of spouting talking points like an idiot.

Demonic possession? What in the fuck are you talking about?

People are certainly open about being bigots under the guise that homosexuality is a choice.

If homosexuality is a biological construct, then discriminating against it is akin to discrimination based on race and you share a mindset with Bull Connor.

Own it.

It's obvious that some have made a choice to be heterosexual rather than gay. Thus they feel sexuality is a choice for everyone.

Though I suspect that one day we will discover that it is. Complex polygenic pathway.

When that happens, bigots will no longer be able to hide behind the guise of their hatred being acceptable because it's a "choice".

That is the most idiotic thing that has been said in this entire thread, and I am actually aware of the comments about demonic possession. No one is hiding behind the belief it is a choice to hide anything, the people that hate will continue to hate even if you give them proof that they are wrong because hate is not based on information and is only subject to logic if the person who hates chooses to learn. Maybe you should try thinking instead of spouting talking points like an idiot.

People are certainly open about being bigots under the guise that homosexuality is a choice.

If homosexuality is a biological construct, then discriminating against it is akin to discrimination based on race and you share a mindset with Bull Connor.

Own it.

Actually, there was poll (taken in 2000) that asked whether or not one's opinion would change if sexual orientation was proven not to be a choice. 75% said "no."

Now, polls are not always very reliable (especially when there is only one... which was taken 12 years ago), but keep in mind that racism and sexism have existed and still exists despite the fact both gender and skin color are determined by genetics.

People will continue to promote hate whether science backs them or not. However, as of right now, some of them are (yes) hiding behind the lack of conclusive proof that supports sexual orientation is determined before birth. I can assure you, though, that their position wouldn't change even if there was conclusive proof.

Last edited:
People will continue to promote hate whether science backs them or not. However, as of right now, some of them are (yes) hiding behind the lack of conclusive proof that supports sexual orientation is determined before birth. I can assure you, though, that their position wouldn't change even if there was conclusive proof.
No one is hiding behind anything you nitwit.

Because there is No proof of sexual orientation before birth.

Question: Will you change Your opinion once science proves that being a homo is 100% choice?? :cool:

Last edited:
The difference there is that pedophiles pray on innocent children, molest and torture them when they have no choice in the matter. And many do say that pedophilia is a disease and they should be treated.
The same argument was used against the homos just a few years ago.

Now being a homo is considered normal.

Pedophiles say that it's not a "choice" sames as the homos.

Thus, there is No difference between homosexuality and pedophelia.
If you haven't noticed pedophiles are committing a crime because it's not consensual between adults but you probably never noticed that.

Last edited:

Question: Will you change Your opinion once science proves that being a homo is 100% choice?? :cool:

Exhibit A: Man of Faith

Own it.

Actually, there was poll (taken in 2000) that asked whether or not one's opinion would change if sexual orientation was proven not to be a choice. 75% said "no."

Now, polls are not always very reliable (especially when there is only one... which was taken 12 years ago), but keep in mind that racism and sexism have existed and still exists despite the fact both gender and skin color are determined by genetics.

In 2000, there were no states that allowed same sex marriage. Now there are 8. Polls were reliable in 2000 when voter were against same sex marriage and not in 2012 when a majority of voter approve of allowing same sex marriage?

Exhibit A: Man of Faith
fyi I had the same anti homo stance before I embraced religion.

Now will you answer my question and quit "hiding" like you accuse everyone else of doing. :doubt:

Being a homo is a choice; a pathetic choice, but a choice none the less. :doubt:

Do you have any scientific evidence to support this claim?

Do you have any conclusive scientific evidence to indicate it is anything but a choice?

Having been a student of biology, and raising a wide variety of animals throughout my life. "Homosexuality" in the form of sexual penetration and pair bonding solely for sexual gratification is not a common occurrence in mammal populations. What is commonly cited as "homosexual" behavior is actually dominance behavior. For various reasons, populations of animals will comprise separate groups of males and females, with the two genders mixing for purposes of procreation. If anything, the proclivity of humans to bond with others of the same gender demonstrates our similarity to other mammalian species.

Own it.

In 2000, there were no states that allowed same sex marriage. Now there are 8. Polls were reliable in 2000 when voter were against same sex marriage and not in 2012 when a majority of voter approve of allowing same sex marriage?

How is that relevant to what I was talking about?

Own it.

People are bigots because they are bigots. Unless you think people can choose their skin color your argument that homosexuality is not a choice is not going to make a bit of difference to them.

By the way, not once anywhere on this board have I ever said anything that is even close to being bigoted about anyone. If you weren't a bigot you wouldn't think I am a bigot because I am smart enough to know that no one knows what causes sexual preference. Just because you insist on ignoring the truth does not mean I am going to.

Personally, I think it is a matter of choice. Unfortunately not everyone makes a choice, most people prefer to pretend they do not have one.
How do you define choice? having a sexual preference for those of the same sex or leading a leading a gay life style. They are certainly not the same.

How is that relevant to what I was talking about?

Flopper is one of the bigots that agrees with you that homosexuality is not a choice, and he thinks that anyone who even hints that he might be wrong is a right wing asshole who hates gays.

Heres the thing:

No one is 100% straight opr gay ( no matter what they say ) The data concerning prenatal hormones is interesting in that it shows us that we can be predisposed from birth to a certain orientation.

Lets say three people are born this way

Person A is predisposed 70% homosexual 30% straight
Person B is predisposed 50/50
Person C is predisposed 30% homosexual 70% straight.

Predisposition does not decide on the persons eventual sexual orientation. That comes from two other factors: Enviornment and finally choice.

Now some people will object to the choice factor but let me explain. One has to accept what they are in order to live their lives. In that sense, choice is a factor.

I think the reason theres such a strong debate on the subject is that there isnt a single cause but a combination of factors that lead to sexual orientation, both straight and homosexual.

I think the reason for such strong debate is more directly related to the current trend for those having such "predilection" to claim special privileges and benefits based on their choice to succumb to whatever predisposition may, or may not, affect them.

Forum List

Back