Sessions Lied to Congress and Must Resign

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
In a Republic, actually
"The damning issue is that Mr. Sessions misled senior government officials and the public about his contacts. This was the same lapse that brought down former national security adviser Michael Flynn, and it underlines broader questions about the opaque relationship between Mr. Trump and the regime of Russian President Vladimir Putin. Those questions remain unanswered."

Opinion | Sessions’s recusal can’t be the end of the story

Sessions lied to Congress during his confirmation hearing.

He perjured himself, and he’s obligated to resign.

This incident is yet another example of the dishonestly and contempt for the truth consistent with this ‘administration.’

"The damning issue is that Mr. Sessions misled senior government officials and the public about his contacts. This was the same lapse that brought down former national security adviser Michael Flynn, and it underlines broader questions about the opaque relationship between Mr. Trump and the regime of Russian President Vladimir Putin. Those questions remain unanswered."

This incident is yet another example of the dishonestly and contempt for the truth consistent with this ‘administration.’

Then have him arrested for Perjury. Oh wait, what he did isn't close to perjury, never mind.

No one gives a flying fuck about lying or corruption unless the "other" guy does it.

per·ju·ry /ˈpərj(ə)rē/ noun the offense of willfully telling an untruth in a court after having taken an oath or affirmation.synonyms:lying under oath, giving false evidence/testimony, making false statements, willful falsehood

The investigation will decide if the offense was willful.​

Then have him arrested for Perjury. Oh wait, what he did isn't close to perjury, never mind.

Depends upon what your definition of the word "is" is.

"I did not have conversation with that man", oops, then when the truth came out he admitted he met with the Russian Ambassador and conversated.

Only a rustic-fool*** would believe the top cop who, in his own words, contradicted his statement to the committee and should be allowed to remain as AG for the United States.

***rustic-fool is one who posts idiot-grams over and over in an effort to derail a thread.

"I did not have conversation with that man", oops, then when the truth came out he admitted he met with the Russian Ambassador and conversated.

Only a rustic-fool*** would believe the top cop who, in his own words, contradicted his statement to the committee and should be allowed to remain as AG for the United States.

***rustic-fool is one who posts idiot-grams over and over in an effort to derail a thread.

First, Fraken wasn't talking about a specific man, he was talking about a rather wide group of people, "Russians"

Second, the context of the question was related to an questionnaire question response, which was specific to "Russian influence on the Trump Campaign".

Third, if you actually read Franken's question, is was a general question about the Trump Campaign as a whole, not Sessions specifically.

Add all that up, and I doubt you will find any prosecutor willing to try a perjury charge.

First, Fraken wasn't talking about a specific man, he was talking about a rather wide group of people, "Russians"

Second, the context of the question was related to an questionnaire question response, which was specific to "Russian influence on the Trump Campaign".

Third, if you actually read Franken's question, is was a general question about the Trump Campaign as a whole, not Sessions specifically.

Add all that up, and I doubt you will find any prosecutor willing to try a perjury charge.

I read it and I posted it; along with the AG's response. If you had bothered to post what is readily available I would not need to once again accuse you of lying by omission. On reflection, that is your forte and nothing an honest person would brag about.

sounds like a red herring fallacy ......

The left: "He lied".

The right: "He responded to the question in the context of his capacity as a Senator, and not as a member of Trump's campaign".

'Lie'

noun
a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth;a falsehood.

The truth ? Here's Politifact:

In Context: What Jeff Sessions told Al Franken about meeting Russian
officials

"Looking at the transcripts from the hearing, however, it’s not 100 percent clear that Sessions made an intentionally false statement, though he appears to have omitted relevant information.

While one can argue that Sessions should have mentioned his meetings with Kislyak at the hearing, it’s possible he didn’t perjure himself based on the question Franken asked."

What Jeff Sessions told Al Franken about his Russia contacts

Last edited:

I read it and I posted it; along with the AG's response. If you had bothered to post what is readily available I would not need to once again accuse you of lying by omission. On reflection, that is your forte and nothing an honest person would brag about.

I read this article, which to me clearly states there is no actionable Perjury.

WaPo: Don’t count on a perjury charge sticking against Sessions - Hot Air

In particular:

Perjury is not inaccuracy. It must be willfully false testimony. Willfulness is the criminal law’s most demanding mens rea (state of mind) requirement. Prosecutors must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the speaker knowingly, voluntarily, and intentionally — not by accident, misunderstanding, or confusion — said something that was untrue, with a specific purpose to disobey or disregard the law. Therefore, when there is an allegation of perjury, the alleged false statements must be considered in context. Any ambiguity is construed in favor of innocence. If there is potential misunderstanding, the lack of clarity is deemed the fault of the questioner, not the accused. …

You like the rest of your ilk are making a political mountain out of a molehill, because right now that's all you have in your quiver.

In particular:

Perjury is not inaccuracy. It must be willfully false testimony. Willfulness is the criminal law’s most demanding mens rea (state of mind) requirement. Prosecutors must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the speaker knowingly, voluntarily, and intentionally — not by accident, misunderstanding, or confusion — said something that was untrue, with a specific purpose to disobey or disregard the law. Therefore, when there is an allegation of perjury, the alleged false statements must be considered in context. Any ambiguity is construed in favor of innocence. If there is potential misunderstanding, the lack of clarity is deemed the fault of the questioner, not the accused. …

You like the rest of your ilk are making a political mountain out of a molehill, because right now that's all you have in your quiver.

"I did not have sex with that woman", was found to be sufficient and necessary for the H. of Rep. to pass an article of impeachment. Sessions response was no different, and his efforts to defend his comments have added clarity to the idea that he did in fact intend to mislead the Congress.

Nixon resigned when such an article of impeachment seemed evident, the process of fact finding will continue, and most of us know that it is not what a person did that is most important in these situations, it is that they lied rather than tell the truth.

The issue is not what he and the Russian Ambassador talked about, it is that Sessions lied about such a meeting with any member of the Trump Team, a team in which he was a member.

No...he didn't......if you think he did you are really stupid. Not one legitimate prosecutor says he perjured himself or lied to congress you twit...

In particular:

"I did not have sex with that woman", was found to be sufficient and necessary for the H. of Rep. to pass an article of impeachment. Sessions response was no different, and his efforts to defend his comments have added clarity to the idea that he did in fact intend to mislead the Congress.

Nixon resigned when such an article of impeachment seemed evident, the process of fact finding will continue, and most of us know that it is not what a person did that is most important in these situations, it is that they lied rather than tell the truth.

The issue is not what he and the Russian Ambassador talked about, it is that Sessions lied about such a meeting with any member of the Trump Team, a team in which he was a member.

Actually the crux of the conversation IS what this is about, Franken's questions and the written question he was responding to were about Russian Contacts with the Trump Campaign, and about the Campaign.

Clinton DID have sex with that woman it turns out. His lie was far more concrete, and far more in context to the question asked.

I didn't think it was impeachable because it had nothing to do with his office, and was glad when the Senate voted not guilty, but trying to compare the two is a stretch at best.

In particular:

No....it wasn't moron. clinton committed perjury, under oath when asked a direct question about his relationship with lewisnky.......and then he used the power of his office to get others to lie for him, and to try to hide the relationship...that is why he was impeached you ignorant moron....

I didn't see the Democraps calling for Lynch's resignation when it was disclosed that she secretly met with Bill Clinton, the spouse of someone under investigation, for forty minutes in the back of her plane? Did they ask for the previous attorney general to resign, when it was disclosed he sent weapons to Mexican drug cartels that ended up killing US law enforcement?

Forum List

Back