Serious question - is air conditioning a human right?

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats
Aug 23, 2011
Bham, AL
How do s USMB feel about this?

Should the government have to provide cold air?

How is this in politics?
In answer to your question, NO!

I'm getting there, was hoping for a few people to chime in

To me, this is political, but I won't complain if it gets moved to current events:

Federal judge orders Texas prisons to provide A/C

quote:
In a searing 100-page rebuke of the Texas prison system, a federal judge Wednesday ordered state officials to provide air-conditioned living quarters for elderly, disabled and other heat-sensitive inmates at the Pack Unit northwest of Houston.

The judge's ruling — which chastises prison officials for "obstruction" and "deliberate indifference" to inmate suffering — gives the state 15 days to draft a plan to ensure that 475 vulnerable inmates have living units cooled to no more than 88 degrees and that 1,000 others have easy access to indoor respite areas. The prison must also develop a heat-wave policy to prevent further injuries and install insect-proof window screens.

Why stop at prisoners, shouldn't everyone have the same rights to free A/C?

How is this in politics?

To me, this is political, but I won't complain if it gets moved to current events:

quote:
In a searing 100-page rebuke of the Texas prison system, a federal judge Wednesday ordered state officials to provide air-conditioned living quarters for elderly, disabled and other heat-sensitive inmates at the Pack Unit northwest of Houston.

The judge's ruling — which chastises prison officials for "obstruction" and "deliberate indifference" to inmate suffering — gives the state 15 days to draft a plan to ensure that 475 vulnerable inmates have living units cooled to no more than 88 degrees and that 1,000 others have easy access to indoor respite areas. The prison must also develop a heat-wave policy to prevent further injuries and install insect-proof window screens.

Even though you RWNJs want to gut the constitution, its still in force. Suck it up little cupcake, and get it through your thick skull that patriotic Americans will fight you.

So, this is a stupid ruling

There should never be a judicial mandate to make convicts comfy

I do think we should arrest less people and do more to prevent rapes and sexual subjugation in prisons, but guaranteed TV and AC?

Fuck no

Even though you RWNJs want to gut the constitution, its still in force. Suck it up little cupcake, and get it through your thick skull that patriotic Americans will fight you.

There is a provision in the Constitution that requires air conditioning to prisoners?

Link?

How is this in politics?

quote:

in a prison there are no choices, as there would be outside of prison....

outside of prison, someone without AC could go to a friend's house, an emergency room lobby, a walmart, a church or mall and get reprieve from the heat...

The judge's order was only for the sick, the disabled and the elderly who could die from the excessive heat in prison.... and we do not try to kill people in prison, unless they got the death penalty.... and we are not allowed to treat prisoners under our control with cruel and unusual punishment....

I demand Universal Lawn Care ...

mowhappy.jpg

How is this in politics?

quote:

outside of prison, someone without AC could go to a friend's house, an emergency room lobby, a walmart, a church or mall and get reprieve from the heat...

The judge's order was only for the sick, the disabled and the elderly who could die from the excessive heat in prison.... and we do not try to kill people in prison, unless they got the death penalty.... and we are not allowed to treat prisoners under our control with cruel and unusual punishment....

Fuck em

Seriously, fuck em

They should not have a right to cold air

I hope this gets overturned on review

Lack of air conditioning is not cruel as many people do not have it. Neither is it unusual for the same reasons. According to the Constitution the punishment must be both cruel and unusual to be prohibited and lack of air conditioning is neither.

While it is a nice thing to provide air conditioning to the elderly, sick or disabled failure to do so is not a violation of rights.

How is this in politics?

quote:

Fuck em

Seriously, fuck em

They should not have a right to cold air

I hope this gets overturned on review
it's only for the vulnerable that could die from the heat wave or excessive heat. you are as the Bible describes the bad guys in the End Times, your thoughts and feelings and emotions for your fellow man are;

Waxed over cold!

Lack of air conditioning is not cruel as many people do not have it. Neither is it unusual for the same reasons. According to the Constitution the punishment must be both cruel and unusual to be prohibited and lack of air conditioning is neither.

While it is a nice thing to provide air conditioning to the elderly, sick or disabled failure to do so is not a violation of rights.
if you kill them or make them sicker, it is cruel and unusual punishment not part of the sentence...

So, this is a stupid ruling

There should never be a judicial mandate to make convicts comfy

I do think we should arrest less people and do more to prevent rapes and sexual subjugation in prisons, but guaranteed TV and AC?

Fuck no

Yes, you do want these people in air conditioning. The weren't told they should be providing air conditioning for all. They have singled out the elderly and those with other illnesses. They do need to provide some cooling areas for others.

Look, you don't want a large amount of people in a prison so ill they are vomiting or the medical conditions they already have are impacted and they need to be transported. You don't want them dying on you.

It's a petty thing to argue over.

Yes it is, if we follow the same logic that makes possession of another inanimate object, firearms, reasonable. A other more reasonable train of thought would say no, we lived without guns and air conditioning for thousands of years. What makes them a right now?

How do s USMB feel about this?

Should the government have to provide cold air?

Obama's government? No, just a bunch of hot air.

Trump's government? Like a cool breeze on a warm Summer day.

But seriously, do you mean "Should the government have to provide cold air to its citizens? Even though I wouldn't want to work in a government office cubicle that wasn't air-conditioned, there's nothing in the constitution that says the government should guarantee cold air to its citizens. That's a privilege, not a right.

Even during colonial times, the revolutionary War soldiers supplied their own weapons, The Second Amendment gives us the right to bear them, but doesn't say the government will supply them Sad but true, because I'd love to have a government-supplied full-auto weapon line Swiss citizens get.

How is this in politics?

quote:

Gotcha! Thanks.
Sorry, air conditioning is not a human right, IMHO. If inmates are uncomfortable, they might have taken possible discomfort into consideration before committing a crime that could potentially land them in an "uncomfortable" situation. I have a brother in prison. As far as I'm concerned, he made his choice and he has to live with the consequences of his choice.
After some of the court findings I've seen lately, I'd love seeing more judges that would just tell some of these people filing complaints to GTFO.

Forum List

Back