Sequester Chart of the Day.....

The news is full of complaints about people starting to plan for the sequester --- only now do most people begin to believe in it.

I don't still. Does anyone here think they'll really go through with this, or will they just kick the huge deficit down the road again for a few months?

They are going to go through with it. The sad part is that after they do, spending has still increased.

IOW, sequestration does not make any real cuts.

Hey look at that, its yet another thread where people are tripping over eachother to be the guy saying that we should cut govt spending, without the slightest mention of what needs to be cut, and why.

We dont have a spending problem, we have a revenue problem, the trickle down economics social experiment of the last 30 years is a failure.

So can I ask 2 questions about the Sequester?

How is this different from the "Fiscal Cliff"? I thought it was the same thing.

Secondly, if I understand it, this is a 10 year program of cuts. In other words, next year will be more cuts, and still more the year after but the "cuts" are reductions in future spending...not cuts. Meaning that if program X was funded at $1M this year and was set to be funded at $1.1M next year, they'll only get $1.05. In other words, this is just the first of many more programmed cuts coming; right?

My office sent out emails today warning that NYC will shut down 1 minute after midnight on March 1st.

We have been advised that we we can report to work but the city might be closed and we would be on our own as far as the office is concerned.We just won't have police or fire protection and all the buildings in the city might be unsafe and might crumble and topple over.

If we decide to stay home we will be docked our pay....
What the hell the dollar will not have any value anyway.

Thanks Obama
Thanks Democrats

Hey look at that, its yet another thread where people are tripping over eachother to be the guy saying that we should cut govt spending, without the slightest mention of what needs to be cut, and why.

We dont have a spending problem, we have a revenue problem, the trickle down economics social experiment of the last 30 years is a failure.
No spending problem?
We will spend more money this year than last year and you assclowns still want more money from my pockets

:fu:

Secondly, if I understand it, this is a 10 year program of cuts. In other words, next year will be more cuts, and still more the year after but the "cuts" are reductions in future spending...not cuts. Meaning that if program X was funded at $1M this year and was set to be funded at $1.1M next year, they'll only get $1.05. In other words, this is just the first of many more programmed cuts coming; right?

Everything You Need to Know About the Sequester: The Most Boring Budget Crisis Ever - Matthew O'Brien - The Atlantic

My office sent out emails today warning that NYC will shut down 1 minute after midnight on March 1st.
Thanks Obama

Im so sorry to hear about your case of amnesia, its republicans that ran on the platform of smaller government and held the country hostage with the debt ceiling in order to set the stage for this sequester battle.

W6TqxeH.gif

We will spend more money this year than last year

Wupty doo. We have an economy to fix.
oh no, we went from $3.518 trillion in 2009 to $3.796 trillion in 2012 and $3.803 trillion projected for 2013? gosh, what is the govt spending all that money on anyway? JOBS!?! Where people are paid money to do things that the country needs to have done? Hold on, this remind me of something:

Lazy Hippies - Video Clips - South Park Studios

you assclowns still want more money from my pockets
and I would crank it all the way up to 94%, deadbeat.

W6cWv.jpg

We have been advised that we we can report to work but the city might be closed and we would be on our own as far as the office is concerned.We just won't have police or fire protection and all the buildings in the city might be unsafe and might crumble and topple over.

Thanks Obama
Thanks Democrats

Part of me would like to see that...no FDNY or NYPD on the street at 12:01 AM. OWS should roll in and take over

Here's yet another same thing: apparently the first week in March Congress will start negotiating on whether the government will entirely shut down at the end of March. They don't have a budget yet, or something.

I can't say I think our government is working especially well these days; it lurches from one financial crisis to another every month.

yes, its a lousy way to do biz., but, we did increase taxes on rates, cap gains, dividends etc. (not counting the obamacare increases), this was supposed to be followed by the 3-1 cut formula, so we had the rise in revenues, and the cuts? No where to be seen.

Guess we'll have to go the sequester route, which still don't come anywhere near the 3-1 number.

snip-

I have said it before, but it bears repeating: Even if sequestration goes through, the Congressional Budget Office predicts that spending will continue to go up over the next ten years, from $3.538 trillion in FY 2012 to $5.939 trillion in FY 2023. Even given inflation and population growth, it’s hard to see these projections as reflective of devastating spending cuts. Also, in FY2023 will be back to running $1 trillion deficit. And that’s before our real fiscal troubles start.

Sequester Armageddon? Not So Much - By Veronique de Rugy - The Corner - National Review Online

fed-spend-without-with-sequester-fixed-1%20copy.png

Yeah I saw that chart a few days ago.

ANOTHER good reason for rethinking this policy.

Personally I think if all these cuts are done (and it really doesn't matter so much WHAT is cut) we're headed back into another recession.

Personally, I think we are heading for one if we don't get the cuts.

:lol:

Yes..Austerity is the way to Prosperity.

Make that into a bumper sticker..by gumption!

Here's yet another same thing: apparently the first week in March Congress will start negotiating on whether the government will entirely shut down at the end of March. They don't have a budget yet, or something.

I can't say I think our government is working especially well these days; it lurches from one financial crisis to another every month.

As Grover Norquist intended.

I do love how everyone makes the sequestration out to be the MASSIVE monster that we simply cannot accept. it is going to destroy the government, obliterate the economy and fire will rain down on earth. there was nothing that our politicians could do. they could not find those deep cuts that were required to evade it. After all they would have had to cut a little less than....... ........ ....... 2% of the budget!!!

really, they cant cut 2 fucking percent!

There is the real monster. The fact that we are spending 30 percent more than we take in every damn year and yet our illustrious politicians are still unable to cut a whole percent out of the budget. Fucking pathetic.

Pathetic?

Agreed.

What this is really showing us is the vast chasm in POVs that is tearing this nation apart.

Who the heck is Grover Norquist? Please tell me this isn't a Conspiracy Theory Supervillain from the Protocols of Zion or the Illuminati or Reptilians.

Starve the beast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

not a conspiracy theory, this is the platform they run on every election cycle

Political activist Grover Norquist authored an oath, the so-called "Taxpayer Protection Pledge," that 279 Senators and Congressman have signed. The oath states the signatories will never vote to raise taxes on anyone under any circumstances. It is viewed by some of the unsigned as a stumbling block to mutual fiscal negotiations to benefit the country.[9]

Ahhhhh...he was the author of the tax pledge, okay.

What nobody is mentioning here is the effect of the "Fourth Branch" of government - the "House of Special Interest"....the unelected branch that has at least as much power as the other three branches...combined.
As their name implies "special interest"...their interest does not lie with what is good or right for our country - but the amount of money they can siphon off for their own interest.
This branch knows no party affiliation, is not affected by politics, is not affected by the economy and essentially they answer to no one.
The real problem in this country is the fact that we the people are so politically illiterate that we think the problem is whatever party we don't vote for - and this 4th branch depends and thrives on this misconception.
We are no longer a representative republic - we are an oligarchy thru and thru....PERIOD.

Last edited:
Can't believe people are buying into this doomsday scenario that because the GOP is being a bunch
of doodle wackers and not giving the President more revenue and not getting any spending cuts in return the world is gonna end.

I am sorry but I think you missed the memo, grover got handed his ass when the gop folded on the tax increases that obama signed jan, 3 I believe, 3rd, 4th whatever.

if cutting less than 3% of $3.6 trillion is "austerity" well, you are entitled to your opinion, but you're opinion doesn't seem well put, these are cuts to baseline increases, that is the 4-5% already approved above the depts agencies operating budgets from the year before....thats austerity?

I am sorry but I think you missed the memo, grover got handed his ass when the gop folded on the tax increases that obama signed jan, 3 I believe, 3rd, 4th whatever.

if cutting less than 3% of $3.6 trillion is "austerity" well, you are entitled to your opinion, but you're opinion doesn't seem well put, these are cuts to baseline increases, that is the 4-5% already approved above the depts agencies operating budgets from the year before....thats austerity?

If you watched any Nightly News tonight you saw the dire predictions of the catastrophic consequences soon to come. Did you know that even some illegal immigrants that are in prison will be released if the sequestration takes place? Course no mention of why is the President on a 100 city blame tour instead of doing his job and working with the Senate to get something to the house...nah.

Tell me the advantages of firing a million people to save a tiny sliver of a big number? Do we not need the services they provide? Build your case on that, not on how cheap you are.

Thanks Obama
Thanks Democrats

Part of me would like to see that...no FDNY or NYPD on the street at 12:01 AM. OWS should roll in and take over

Then when they start destroying property get shot up by the citizens, you'll be the first douchebag whining about it..... :thup:

Forum List

Back