Senators Like School Choice for Their Own Kids. Why Not for Everyone?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
DemSenators-1250x650.jpg

Recognize anyone? And it’s not just Senators, it’s all the hoi piloi inside The Beltway and in the hallowed halls of governments at all levels. What’s good for them isn’t good for the plebes, the common people.

The same holds true with their health care and retirement plans. Ever notice that?

Thirty-four percent of senators had at one time sent their children to private school.

Thirty-nine percent of Democratic senators had at one time sent their children to private school.

Thirty-two percent of Republican senators had at one time sent their children to private school.

More @ Senators Like School Choice for Their Kids. Why Not for All?

Senators Like School Choice for Their Own Kids. Why Not for Everyone?

Thirty-four percent of senators had at one time sent their children to private school.

Thirty-nine percent of Democratic senators had at one time sent their children to private school.

Thirty-two percent of Republican senators had at one time sent their children to private school.

I have news for you. Everyone already has access to the same choices Senators make for their kids. When it comes to sending one's kids to private school, the facts are these:

As for the statistics the OP cites....Well, you know, I too can find 100 people of whom 34% send their kids to private schools. That 34 U.S. Senators send their kids to private school indicates several things, none of which are particularly relevant to whether the U.S. should or should not implement a national level school choice program, but knowing such things is perhaps useful for a game of Trivial Pursuit. What are some of those things indicated by the incidence of Senators sending their kids to private schools?
  • Insofar as 34% of Senators send their kids to private schools, 66% do not.
  • There are 100 U.S. Senators, and they constitute 0.00003125% of the U.S. population. What those 100 individuals do re: their kids says nothing about what you, I or anyone should or needs to do regarding our own.
  • Someone has an axe to grind, but isn't all that concerned about dispassionately considering the facts of the matter. They just want readers to feel like Senators have some special things most others do not. Well, the reality is that Senators do have two such things: comparatively high wealth and a seat in the U.S. Senate.

The fact that the choices of U.S. Senators have been singled out, as opposed to those of any other group of 100 individuals, is indicative of nothing in the context of school choice and the benefits and detractors to such policies. Senators, when deciding how to educate their kids are just like everyone else. Clearly, as seen in the chart above, the choices Senators make re: educating their kids is not in line with those most people make.
  • Sending one's kids to private school is not merely a matter of being wealthy enough to do so. Does the wealthy part of your area have public schools? Do kids from the area in which the school is located attend them? I suspect that in your area, just as in mine, the answer to both questions is "yes." Clearly, plenty of wealthy people who could send their kids to private schools choose not to do so. Thirty-four percent of the U.S. Senators just happen to be some of the wealthy people who have chosen to send their kids to private schools.
As goes the matter of school choice, the reason to implement (or not) such programs is on the impact they will have on the quality and delivery of education in the nation as a whole, not, selfishly, on what one might want for one's own kids. To that end, I support school choice to the extent that it means a student (their parents) in a given locale can choose which public school s/he attends. I support that because such programs -- charter and magnet school programs -- have consistently led to increased performance in the schools that participate in the programs. I'm not nuts about the notion of using public funds to pay for private school education, but if the voucher program limits eligibility for receiving public funds to non-parochial schools, I could live with it. I am 100% opposed to and in no way amenable to any share of my tax dollars being paid to a parochial school.

Note:
  1. While others may feel differently, I don't cotton to the notion of any tax dollars going to theologically driven grade through high schools. I'm also not keen on theological colleges and universities, like The Catholic University of America, Southern Methodist University or Pepperdine University receiving federal funds via the student loan and Pell Grant programs, though I can be persuaded to acquiesce to that happening. It's not that I have a problem with some or all of the values such institutions preach. It's that I have a problem with their doing so as part of and under the auspices of a religious doctrine.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back