Senator Ron Wyden introduces S. 420, a bill to legalize marijuana

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
It probably won't pass because of all the dinosaurs in Congress, but it's a step forward. It's absurd the amount of money we throw away in our justice system over weed.

Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., introduced a bill on Friday to decriminalize marijuana and allow for it to be taxed and regulated. The bill is titled S. 420, in a reference to marijuana culture.

The proposal, identical to a bill in the House, aims to ease the longstanding conflict between states where cannabis is legal in some form and the U.S. government, which categorizes marijuana as a dangerous illegal drug, similar to LSD or heroin. The American Civil Liberties Union estimates that around half of all drug arrests are for marijuana possession.

If we just executed the sellers and users it would be way cheaper. Had we done it all along, we would not have the issues with addicts that we have.

I would allow states to make their own laws regarding MJ, and decriminalize it at the federal level. If a state wants to make it illegal, that's up to them.

It probably won't pass because of all the dinosaurs in Congress, but it's a step forward. It's absurd the amount of money we throw away in our justice system over weed.

Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., introduced a bill on Friday to decriminalize marijuana and allow for it to be taxed and regulated. The bill is titled S. 420, in a reference to marijuana culture.

The proposal, identical to a bill in the House, aims to ease the longstanding conflict between states where cannabis is legal in some form and the U.S. government, which categorizes marijuana as a dangerous illegal drug, similar to LSD or heroin. The American Civil Liberties Union estimates that around half of all drug arrests are for marijuana possession.

Dunno.. I'm shocked to see the TN legislators putting a Med Marijuana bill on the floor.. Crazier things have happened.

Been about 30 years since libertarians started pitching this plan and we got pummeled for it. But hey, we're always at least 20 years AHEAD of public opinion on everything...

Let's hear all the justifications for statist government control over a ditch weed that also applies to alcohol.

:laughing0301:

Let's turn to a higher authority.

Statist 3:16 - And Jesus said, "he who smoketh the forbidden grass shall be cursed. For mine intoxicant is wine. And ye shall have no other intoxicants before me."

If we just executed the sellers and users it would be way cheaper. Had we done it all along, we would not have the issues with addicts that we have.

As a guy with a bro in law who just got of prison for a marijuana grow operation in his machine shop, I've seen 1st hand the prosecutorial abuse and malarkey first hand. They put this guy in prison for 9 months with 9 months left to live. Served NO public purpose.

Marijuana is not deadly. I hope you don't share your cure for texting while driving with all of us.. :rolleyes:

There is no form of abuse too severe for pot growers. There is no sentence too long. Drug addiction is the worst crisis we have ever faced. It requires drastic action.

I live with two pot addicts. One whose life was destroyed. The other is schizophrenic with cannabis induced triggers.

Neither are worth the bullet to put them down.

I live with two pot addicts. One whose life was destroyed. The other is schizophrenic with cannabis induced triggers.

And I'll burn a doob and trim a hedge. :dunno:

Eh, well. Used to anyways. Had to grow up.

Why doesn't Congress first introduce a bill to fix the 50 year old, screwed up DEA drug schedule? Pot needs to be made Schedule II and Opioids need to be made Schedule 1.

Pot will never be legalized until it is made a Schedule II narcotic where it belongs. One guess why the drug schedule has not been fixed in 50 years. That is the way the drug companies want it.

Let's hear all the justifications for statist government control over a ditch weed that also applies to alcohol.

:laughing0301:

Let's turn to a higher authority.

Statist 3:16 - And Jesus said, "he who smoketh the forbidden grass shall be cursed. For mine intoxicant is wine. And ye shall have no other intoxicants before me."

Na, bible actually says drunks suck. Weed ain’t mentioned at all. That said, I hope it passes. More states that to legal the better.

And I'll burn a doob and trim a hedge. :dunno:

Eh, well. Used to anyways. Had to grow up.

Exactly! I was a teenager in the 1970s. Almost everyone I knew smoked weed at least occasionally. They grew up and most stopped. No rehab needed.

If someone gets addicted to pot, they were fucked up already.

The British pushed drugs on the populations they wanted to control also. Keep the natives medicated.

Forum List

Back