Senate Unanimously Votes to Push Back Digital TV Transition

Hmm.. Two wars..economy in the tank...healthcare system in disarray... unemployment rising...education system falling behind ... and our illustrious Congress spends it's time worrying about people's access to television. You know, come to think of it, that was probably the best and safest thing for the nation that Congress could have spent the day working on. Maybe if we keep them busy with a honey do list, they won't have time to screw anything else up.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Excellent post. Don't all those millions of dollars spent advertising the Feb 17 change look pretty spinning down the tank? But what's another few million flushed down the toilet. Now ink those presses and get back to work Congressmen! :whip:

WASHINGTON -- The Senate on Monday voted unanimously to postpone the upcoming transition from analog to digital television broadcasting by four months to June 12 -- setting the stage for Congress to pass the proposal as early as Tuesday.

Monday's Senate vote is a big victory for the Obama administration and Democrats in Congress, who have been pushing for a delay amid growing concerns that too many Americans won't be ready for the currently scheduled Feb. 17 changeover.

The Nielsen Co. estimates that more than 6.5 million U.S. households that rely on analog television sets to pick up over-the-air broadcast signals could see their TV sets go dark next month if the transition is not postponed.

"Delaying the upcoming DTV switch is the right thing to do," said Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., author of the bill to push back the deadline. "I firmly believe that our nation is not yet ready to make this transition at this time."

Senate Unanimously Votes to Push Back Digital TV Transition - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

I suppose now we will have to borrow enough money to buy everybody a HD TV.

A pointless issue that means nothing on the balance of things. People have had THREE YEARS to adjust since this was announced? If they aren't ready now they won't be in June, either.

This is just like phasing out old software or development libraries in a large shop. You give people a nice long time, but there are always those who simply never do it. The day comes to finally shut it off, and they all scream and whine. Nice thing about most of the shops I work in, we give those slow developers the finger and shut it down anyway.

No the problem is not just the converter. The lack of information sent to people about the antenna also. Most people didnt know that they will need a bowtie or dish antenna to get the signals. They were just told they needed the converter and thats it.

Nonsense. I get full high dev TV to my digital TV using plain old rabbit-ears. That roof antenna bought in 1965 will still work just fine, it just needs the converter and maybe a connection adapter.

No the problem is not just the converter. The lack of information sent to people about the antenna also. Most people didnt know that they will need a bowtie or dish antenna to get the signals. They were just told they needed the converter and thats it.

Nonsense. I get full high dev TV to my digital TV using plain old rabbit-ears. That roof antenna bought in 1965 will still work just fine, it just needs the converter and maybe a connection adapter.

Just ask Ktten Koder, she knows all about it.

I heard they are having a sale on Swanson's TV Dinners!

wait a minute.

They have been advertising the big switch to digital for 2 years now right?

If people are too fucking dense to get a converter after that long then maybe they should read a book instead of watching more shit on the boob tube.

I think the reason is they are "too poor" ?

what about the whole government coupon give away

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

Apparently, there are 6.5 million people too stupid to take advantage of those coupons.

Monday's Senate vote is a big victory for the Obama administration and Democrats in Congress, who have been pushing for a delay amid growing concerns that too many Americans won't be ready for the currently scheduled Feb. 17 changeover.
So missing a project deadline is "A big victory for Obama and the Dems" huh? Well I suspect we'll see many more of these "Big Victories" in the future concerning:

Job Creation
Health Care
Immigration
Budget Deficits

Just to name a few.

I want to know where the government's authority to force this on people comes from.

No shit; television is an American right, just like universal healthcare is.

No, television is a luxury. I was questioning where the government gets the authority to force this digital change on people, because I could not find the clause in the Constitution that says that they can.

I want to know where the government's authority to force this on people comes from.

No, television is a luxury. I was questioning where the government gets the authority to force this digital change on people, because I could not find the clause in the Constitution that says that they can.

He was being sarcastic.

Let's just hope this delay allows for something to happen to stop this altogether.

I've already contacted my congresspeople and told them what I think. This is just flat out fucking ridiculous.

He was being sarcastic.

Let's just hope this delay allows for something to happen to stop this altogether.

I've already contacted my congresspeople and told them what I think. This is just flat out fucking ridiculous.

Agreed. I wonder, does someone somewhere benefit from all this, money wise? Were there things going on behind closed doors in Washington to make this all happen?

So have I since 2006. There are a lot of misconceptions about "The Switch." But I guarantee that the truth will not be realized by most and they will go out buying unnecessary gadgets. But that's good for the economy right?

Forum List

Back