Senate Energy-Speculation Bill Is Blocked

Manuel

Jan 7, 2008
Sydney
Senate Republicans on Friday blocked a vote on legislation to rein in speculation in the energy markets, instead calling for energy votes that would expand domestic petroleum production and more nuclear power development.

Democrats, in a 50-43 vote, failed to gain the 60 votes needed to bring the speculation bill forward for consideration on the Senate floor. Now they face another week of energy debate as Republicans threatened to hold the measure up to hammer home their "drill more, use less" policy.
Senate Energy-Speculation Bill Is Blocked - WSJ.com

Drill more, use less. Kinda has a nice ring to it. and something for everyone. More oil for those who actually understand the laws of supply and demand, and trade deficits, and Conservation for everyone else. With some alternative energy thrown in (Nuclear is an alternative to fossil fuels after all) :clap2:

Just another nail in the GOP coffin

Why?

Why should congress vote to regulate something they haven't even proven EXISTS yet?

Can you show me the proof that evil long speculators caused the price to rise?

Why?

Why should congress vote to regulate something they haven't even proven EXISTS yet?

Proof? You want proof from a rabid leftwing idealog? Please, all he needs is to say it and there for it is true. Like all the " Bush lied" claims.

Why?

Nothing needs to be "proven." This is just another instance when perception alone is enough to cause the GOP votes. There is no proof speculators were the major reason for the crude oil run up. That is not the point.

The point is this vote, another block by the GOP, is just something else that the Dems can use this fall to bash the republican candidates. Come on, get real! Perception and spin is 80% of the game these days. Whether yo like it or not... :smoke:

Nothing needs to be "proven." This is just another instance when perception alone is enough to cause the GOP votes. There is no proof speculators were the major reason for the crude oil run up. That is not the point.

The point is this vote, another block by the GOP, is just something else that the Dems can use this fall to bash the republican candidates. Come on, get real! Perception and spin is 80% of the game these days. Whether yo like it or not... :smoke:

So you don't want congress to be 100% informed with all the facts before they vote on a piece of legislation that could potentially screw investors out of doing something that is otherwise legal.

So instead of keeping things accurate, fair, and LEGAL, you would rather congress play games with people's perception to hopefully garner more votes.

I got ya.

Why?

Here paul... allow me to hand you your ass...

...U.S. Energy Secretary Samuel W. Bodman, representing the world's top oil consumer, said Saturday that insufficient oil production is driving the soaring crude prices. Oil production has not kept up with increasing demand from developing countries including China and India, Bodman said.
"In the absence of any additional crude supply, for every 1 percent of crude demand, we will expect a 20 percent increase in price in order to balance the market," he said.
But Saudi officials have argued that the market is sufficiently supplied and that market speculation -- billions of dollars in financial investments in oil by investors hedging against a weakening U.S. dollar -- is the primary force driving up prices.
At the meeting Sunday, Saudi Arabia, the world's top oil exporter, is expected to ask for measures to control market speculation in futures exchanges, where oil prices are set.
Saudi Arabian Oil Summit Hopes to Isolate Cause of Price Rise - washingtonpost.com

Just another example of the left wing propaganda machine at work....
Speculation bill is bullshit...the bill does not allow a Congressional vote to come to the floor on off-shore drilling...thats is the nut of the matter and that is why the bill is not being supported by the Republicans....

Will the MSM report on that fact...of course not...it will run with the speculation crap because that is what will shine a bad light on the conservatives....Goebbels would be proud .... MSM- the masters of propaganda supporting the Democrats...

Just another example of the left wing propaganda machine at work....
Speculation bill is bullshit...the bill does not allow a Congressional vote to come to the floor on off-shore drilling...thats is the nut of the matter and that is why the bill is not being supported by the Republicans....

Will the MSM report on that fact...of course not...it will run with the speculation crap because that is what will shine a bad light on the conservatives....Goebbels would be proud .... MSM- the masters of propaganda supporting the Democrats...

Your a dumbass... speculation is the problem not supply...

Hand me my ass??? LOL!

You provided an article with someone simply SAYING it is so. Even I don't disagree that there is speculation due to a weak dollar, I have an energy position in my portfolio for that very reason. But you need to provide DATA, my man. There is just as much evidence that it is short coverings causing the longs to remain in, but you don't see congress, the oil companies, or OPEC saying that, because then there wouldn't be an excuse to bail out the shorts. But I suspect you have no fucking clue what any of that means anyway, that's why you trust OPEC ministers' words. :rolleyes:

Give me a fucking break, son.

Your post is irrelevant....has nothing to do with WHY the bill is not being supported by the R's.....I gave you the reason

The problem with the price of oil is not what my post is about....

Your post is irrelevant....has nothing to do with WHY the bill is not being supported by the R's.....I gave you the reason

The problem with the price of oil is not what my post is about....

You can paint it whatever color you want. Voters will see it Red in the fall when it is pointed out that the GOP blocked the passage. Remember...Spin...the word is Spin.

You can paint it whatever color you want. Voters will see it Red in the fall when it is pointed out that the GOP blocked the passage. Remember...Spin...the word is Spin.

The futures market is for hedging and speculating. There's no reason why congress needs to regulate it anymore than it already is.

They ought to be doing something about the spiraling Dollar causing the desire to speculate to BEGIN with, rather than waste time distracting from real issues.

If they'd stop spending so much fucking money and causing mounting debt and inflation, the speculation would stop. But no, let's just punish the people who are exercising their investment rights instead.

Yes, the name of the game certainly is SPIN.

You mean kinda like how Nancy and the Dems are standing in the way of more drilling when 75% of Americans are screaming for it?? Or kinda how OBAMA wont Drill?:eusa_whistle:

And don't start with the Drilling wont help BS, remember perception is everything.:clap2:

You mean kinda like how Nancy and the Dems are standing in the way of more drilling when 75% of Americans are screaming for it?? Or kinda how OBAMA wont Drill?:eusa_whistle:

And don't start with the Drilling wont help BS, remember perception is everything.:clap2:

"This is one crisis we won't drill our way out of." - T. Boone Pickens

"This is one crisis we won't drill our way out of." - T. Boone Pickens

I am aware we can not use drilling alone to get out of this Kirk, But then if you had read, we were talking about perceptions.

Jim said this about the GOP blocking the speculation bill

and then I said this

You mean kinda like how Nancy and the Dems are standing in the way of more drilling when 75% of Americans are screaming for it?? Or kinda how OBAMA wont Drill?

And don't start with the Drilling wont help BS, remember perception is everything.

Get it now, it does not matter if we can drill our way out of this or not. 75% of Americans want us to drill and the Dems will not let us. Perception is everything.

You see the congressional approval rating lately? Ever wonder why it is so low, things like this are why :)

Last edited:

If speculation is a problem it's specifically because of supply. Which is exactly why just talking about expansion is causing the speculators to speculate their will be more supply and lower prices. Hence why prices have been going down.

It's not rocket science. Most of it's high school econ.

Get it now, it does not matter if we can drill our way out of this or not. 75% of Americans want us to drill and the Dems will not let us. Perception is everything.

You see the congressional approval rating lately? Ever wonder why it is so low, things like this are why :)

Exactly! This is the problem Democrats have. They can try to blame Republicans all they want. But they are the ones in charge. They will be seen as the ones keeping us from drilling.

Forum List

Back