Senate Democrats Claim to Have 60 Votes!

Discussion in 'Congress' started by GHook93, Nov 21, 2009.

1. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,931
    Senate Democrats assured of 60 votes to debate health bill - CNN.com

If this is true they will defeat the filibuster. Although I think a public option is a good thing, this bill is a disaster! Its puts so much pressure and financial responsibility, on the already pressed and cash strapped, small businesses. It's not going to be pretty. Hit the business community any more and we could be headed towards a depression.

2. slackjawed

slackjawed Self deported

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    But this vote allows debate, not passes it. I think that debate should be encouraged by both sides, it baffles me to see any kind of block to debate. But the again, that is exactly the type of behavior that makes me refer to them as our 'so-called leaders' most of the time. Both sides should be calling for debate on the issue.
    bring on the debate.......

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,931
    Debate is good, but unlimited debate as a means for the minority to stall a vote is equally as bad!

4. slackjawed

slackjawed Self deported

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +645
    There rules in place that deal with debate. One may not agree with them, but there are rules in place.

5. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    It's only a vote on whether or not to debate the bill, not on cloture to cut off the debate and vote for passage.

There's a long way to go yet.

6. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I don't think its very much in doubt as to the 60 votes to debate the bill. In fact the Sen. from La. who stands to get 100 Million for her state if the bill is passed and all the talk in if she is going to vote yes or not was actually funny. As was rightly pointed out, this is not a vote to cut off debate and vote, so we have a ways to go. Even with it's passage you have at least 4 years before you see any benefits from it other than the taxes, in thzt time it faces an uphill climb in court from the numerous and glaring constitutional issues in the bill. So in short you are in the 1st Quarter of a very long game. This has more to do with getting the President a win more so than anything else and has very little to do with actual healthcare reform. Need an example, well ask yourself this question, we have a Govt. run healthcare program already that is close to bankruptcy, so rather than fix that and expand that and make it affordable for those that want it and need it, what do you do? you take 500 billion from it to leverage the creation of a new department that does the same thing as the existing one. Again , this has little to do with healthcare REFORM and more to do with getting an agenda win and expanding employment in the Federal sector.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Arkansas Sen. Blanche Lincoln: "I believe it is important to begin this debate"

(CNN) -- U.S. Sen. Blanche Lincoln said Saturday that she supports bringing the health care bill to the floor for debate, giving Democrats the 60 votes needed to prevent a GOP filibuster.

Speaking on the Senate floor hours before the 8 p.m. procedural vote, the Arkansas Democrat said she would give Majority Leader Harry Reid and President Obama the crucial vote required to move the Democrats' contentious health care measure forward for debate.

Senate Democrats assured of 60 votes to debate health bill - CNN.com

8. EriktheRed

EriktheRed Eh...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,732
    Lincoln's essentially locked in her vote against a bill with a public option.

9. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

There has been no talk about the cost that the individual must pay to get his health insurance whether it is the public option or the mandated acceptance insurance carrier type.

My understanding is that all healthcare policies, whether the public option type or not will still need to be purchased by the policy holder. It might be a good time to make this clear to everyone.

I think that most of the public thinks that the insurace policies they will hold will be gratis.

Freedom ain't free and insurance isn't either.

10. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    Hopefully during the debate , all the true facts will come out and enough Democrats will walk away from this bill. The major fact of this bill against its passage is that we cannot afford this bill at this time because of the cost to the tax payer and the cost in jobs.