Senate Bill S510 Makes it illegal to Grow, Share, Trade or Sell Homegrown Food

YouTube - Local farms could be illegal

As many people are feeling the economic downturn hit them, they are growing their own food. However, the government might try to take that choice away from the people as well by passing a bill that would make it illegal to clean and store seeds.

george4title:

The feds can do and say what they want, but so will I. In fact, I have lived the survivalist life for neary 20 years, and I have no intention of changing my ways now. If push comes to shove, I'll show the tyrants what the business end of a sighted-in Mini-14 Ranch rife is capable of doing at 200 yards, especially when loaded with NATO .223 rounds. The feds ain't the Russian Jews and this isn't the Christian Ukraine of Stalin's 1930s. In this nation, We the People are armed to the teeth -- and pissed off enough to shot the communists.

RO

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k]YouTube - Lighten Up Francis[/ame]

fuckwit

As many people are feeling the economic downturn hit them, they are growing their own food. However, the government might try to take that choice away from the people as well by passing a bill that would make it illegal to clean and store seeds.

george4title:

The feds can do and say what they want, but so will I. In fact, I have lived the survivalist life for neary 20 years, and I have no intention of changing my ways now. If push comes to shove, I'll show the tyrants what the business end of a sighted-in Mini-14 Ranch rife is capable of doing at 200 yards, especially when loaded with NATO .223 rounds. The feds ain't the Russian Jews and this isn't the Christian Ukraine of Stalin's 1930s. In this nation, We the People are armed to the teeth -- and pissed off enough to shot the communists.

RO

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k]YouTube - Lighten Up Francis[/ame]

fuckwit

There's some truth to what Really Ornery wrote.. If people can't resist the government then we are under the control of a dictatorship.

george4title:

RO

fuckwit

There's some truth to what Really Ornery wrote.. If people can't resist the government then we are under the control of a dictatorship.

true, but i always am suspect of people that go into their bullshit, survivalist rant in response to everything. too much xbox, not enough getting laid, IMO.

i mean, c'mon, we're talking about fucking cows and howdy doody comes in with what a mini14 can do at 200yards? gmafb. at least he made it erasy for me to get back to sleep.

later

true, but i always am suspect of people that go into their bullshit, survivalist rant in response to everything. too much xbox, not enough getting laid, IMO.

i mean, c'mon, we're talking about fucking cows and howdy doody comes in with what a mini14 can do at 200yards? gmafb. at least he made it erasy for me to get back to sleep.

later

I don't see it as just cows and food, it's about the control. If the government can control any way shape and form anything to do with food you can control the people. If the government can step in and legislte what a person can grow in their own proprety they have you where it really counts.

These Gastapo tactics already happen.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdLxMKuxyr4"]Government Raided Stowers Family Over Food[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qzqowY98nU"]Lawyer 1[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEZ83AlNS1c&feature=related"]Lawyer 2[/ame]

I've read the bill twice. What section of Bill S510 specifically states it being illegal to grow, share, trade or sell homegrown food?
The Bill, as I read it, will regulate small growers to comply with record keeping to evaluate hazards, document them and then implement controls.

Section 103 -
Requires each owner, operator, or agent in charge of a food facility to: (1) evaluate the hazards that could affect food; (2) identify and implement preventive controls; (3) monitor the performance of those controls; and (4) maintain records of such monitoring. Deems facilities required to comply with certain food-specific standards to be in compliance with this section. Requires the Secretary to promulgate regulations to establish science-based minimum standards for conducting a hazard analysis, documenting hazards, implementing preventive controls, and documenting such implementation. Prohibits the operation of a facility that manufactures, processes, packs, or holds food for sale in the United States if the owner, operator, or agent in charge of such facility is not in compliance with this section. Delays implementation of this section for small businesses.

S. 510 - Summary: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (GovTrack.us)

The small farmers who sell to local business and farmers markets will be impacted by more fees and red tape. I see nothing about it being illegal to save seed, share products, or sell homegrown food.

Last edited:

This is absurd. I thought this was the land of the free. What is wrong with this place?

Its the change that obama spoke of. This is what happens when you elect liberals with an agenda.

Even if the hyperbole that is surrounding this is true, are you suggesting Obama put this together?

Absurd. Let's see how far it goes.

george4title:

RO

fuckwit

I blame the Rambo franchise for creating a whole generation of Americans who think that they and their M-14 could hold off any sort of sizable force.

later

I suspect RO has never been on the business end of a mortar barrage.

I wish them luck with that one.

Passing that law would be as inconsequential as repealing the 2nd Amendment. They might do it, but who is going to obey it?

All they need do is make an example of some people growing their own, and everybody will obey it.

Why the hell do you think marijuana costs so damned much?

I can just see it now....

"what are you in for?" - big burly inmate

"I grew some tomatoes and gave some to my starving neighbor." - bigger burlier inmate

"Damn...you're in for the long stretch...I killed a woman for calling me a pig when I threw my cigarette butt out my car window...my lawyer says I'll be out next month." - big burly inmate

You do realize if there are any out there that can help others it means less people dependent on the federal government. Less people on the government plan less chance that the government can take full control of Americans lives

This is absurd. I thought this was the land of the free. What is wrong with this place?

Its the change that obama spoke of. This is what happens when you elect liberals with an agenda.

Even if the hyperbole that is surrounding this is true, are you suggesting Obama put this together?

Absurd. Let's see how far it goes.

Let's see how far it goes? Do you really want to take that chance? I am not saying obama thougt up this plan he's not that smart. The ones behind obama have preparing for this for a very long time. obama just came around at the right time. It's the perfect political storm.

I am not sure exactly what it does after reading the summary found here. It says in the first section "except farms and restaurants". Of course what is the definition of a farm?

summary found here:

S. 510 - Summary: FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (GovTrack.us)

If their definition of farm is only commercial enterprises this bill sucks as it would wipe out roadside veggie stands and such.

I don't think that was the intent at all. What has become serious are the number of outbreaks of e.coli and samonella because the FDA is so understaffed for food inspections of products grown right here, let alone inspect crap that comes from overseas. I will no longer buy ANY produce nor ANY meat product that isn't grown locally because I do not trust the huge agri-farms and their behemoth manufacturing plants to keep those products safe to eat.

I can understand making it illegal to sell homegrown food products as that is unregulated. I have my doubts that any law would outlaw "growing, sharing, or trading" homegrown produce.

me, too... and given that GPO hasn't yet put the text of the bill online, i think i'll wait to read it before beating i get all faux hysterical about it

The text of S510 has not yet been received from GPO

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

I have to say too, as someone who grew up with livestock and raised beef cattle, I find the mentality of some of the "organic" people to be absurd. I can understand not wanting beef that has hormones in it. However, to be "organic" you also can't use antibiotics or vaccinate your livestock.

That's just cruel.

The term "organic" has become way overused and all-inclusive. Organic farmers still must abide by USDA regulations for safe food end products they intend to sell (maybe not the roadside farmer, but certainly small farms who sell locally in bulk). There are several articles/reports confirming that fact.

What Does the "Organic" Label Really Mean?
The USDA now uses private and state agencies to inspect and certify food companies that market organic foods. Small farmers with less than $5,000 in organic sales, such as those selling at small farmers’ markets, are exempt from the certification process but they still must be truthful in their label claims and comply with the new government standards. Individuals or companies who sell or label a product as organic when they know it does not meet USDA standards, can be fined up to $10,000 for each violation.

I was at the supermarket just this morning and there were two bins of bananas, one labeled "organic" ($.10 per pound more) and the other just regular ol' bananas probably from some mega plantation. They both, however, came from somewhere in Chili. I decided I'd get my potassium from some home grown potatoes, thank you anyway.

me, too... and given that GPO hasn't yet put the text of the bill online, i think i'll wait to read it before beating i get all faux hysterical about it

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

I have to say too, as someone who grew up with livestock and raised beef cattle, I find the mentality of some of the "organic" people to be absurd. I can understand not wanting beef that has hormones in it. However, to be "organic" you also can't use antibiotics or vaccinate your livestock.

That's just cruel.

Most organic beef is not free of antibiotics and vaccinations.

I know because I know "organic" beef producers.

I would not want ot buy a beef that had infections or black leg or soemsuch.

And yet the mega beef producers feed their livestock corn instead of grass which naturally filters out harmful parasites. Corn does not.

Michigan has expanded the ability of homegrown and cooked or baked food products to be sold. You must label the food stuff as not inspected by the Dept. of Agriculture, but alot of things are now allowed that had been restricted before. Doesn't seem like such a bill would gain much traction in Congress right now with the economy the way it is. Not too worried.

I'm suspect this is the bill that is referred to every time the "tainted eggs in Iowa" story runs.

The bill that has been "languishing in Congress" that "strengthen the regulatory power of the Department of Agriculture".

The Department of Argiculture can't get out of their own way. Too many regs to enforce and away too few inspectors to ever be effective. Almost everything they do is after the fact.

Isn't everything we do in America? Hardly anything is proactive anymore; everything is a reaction to some event.

I got to "well, I've read a summary of the bill" and had to stop. If you're looking for an analysis of a bill, start with someone who at least claims to have actually read it.

Key portion of this bill:

if the Secretary believes that there is a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to such food will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.

Heaven forbid the FDA regulate food safety......
:eusa_eh:

yeah...I'm just glad they have FINALLY decided to uphold the laws that matter. Kinda makes you wonder what the hell they've been doing all these years doesn't it?

Can you say agriculture lobbyists? Now they've helped write a bill that would be to their benefit and result in kicking organic (small) farmers out of competition. They know damned well there is no way that FDA inspectors could adequately inspect thousands of acreage and barns the size of football fields, but they sure can go after the smaller ones.

george4title:

RO

fuckwit

There's also some truth in the agenda of corporations like Monsanto. I, personally, would rather see Monsanto under the thumb of the federal government. Anyone who has seen the documentary Food, Inc., knows what I'm talking about.

yupfarming: Monsanto's Baby: S 510

Back on target. We most likely are the next victims of Monsanto control of seeds. They are world wide and going for the Monopoly on seeds that produce plants that are sterile. So the plants do not reproduce grow-able seeds. Catch is, you have to buy seeds each year from Monsanto if you want plants.

Monsanto successfully did this in Iraq. Monsanto claimed they held the patients to the seeds the farmers were growing and had the seeds confiscated from the farms. Then they introduced their altered seeds. Like I say, they are active in this pursuit globally. I would recommend you stock up on seeds, even seeds of plants you do not currently eat. I spent a $100. on line for seeds, and have been de-seeding vegetables and saving them.

There's also some truth in the agenda of corporations like Monsanto. I, personally, would rather see Monsanto under the thumb of the federal government. Anyone who has seen the documentary Food, Inc., knows what I'm talking about.

yupfarming: Monsanto's Baby: S 510

Monsanto may be behind it but it's the government that will try to enforce anything. Monsanto can do only what the government allows or have you forgotten that?

Forum List

Back