• It's Alright

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
Title says it all.

By the way, this refers to the TV show, not any live stand-up comedy acts. Although if you have seen Jerry Seinfelf in person doing a show please, do tell.

Love it.

I like the later seasons better, which is weird since I'm such a big fan of Larry David, but I actually like Seinfeld better after he left.

I can't pick a favorite episode, but one of them off the top of my head would have to be the one where Jerry is at the dealership, wanting to buy a new car from Puddy. George's candy bar lineup in that is one of my favorite moments on the show. "It was Twix! They were all Twix! It was a setup, I tell ya, a setup!"

George is my favorite character, followed closely by Puddy.

Semper, have you seen Curb Your Enthusiasm? Any Seinfeld fan should really check it out, it's the closest thing to that style of humor on television right now.

i dunno. i don't make a point to watch it, never did. if it is the only thing on, I might watch it, but usually I will turn the tv off and find something else to do instead.

I think all the characters are too neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, and self-absorbed to the point of being irritating. They are always bitching about not being able to find the right person to be with/date/marry. Yet whenever any of them were out with someone, they always had to find a reason NOT to like that person, then obsess about it through the whole rest of the show. Apparently, no one out there is as perfect as they are. And they wonder why they are all still single, and nothing really goes long term...

I do admit, there are some funny episodes, like 'The Soup Nazi' that are just classic.

fuzzykitten99 said:
I think all the characters are too neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, and self-absorbed to the point of being irritating. They are always bitching about not being able to find the right person to be with/date/marry. Yet whenever any of them were out with someone, they always had to find a reason NOT to like that person, then obsess about it through the whole rest of the show. Apparently, no one out there is as perfect as they are. And they wonder why they are all still single, and nothing really goes long term...
That's the point of the show though, to laugh at neurotic people.

How can you not find Kramer hilarious?

Yeah that, and the almost British style comedy, is the point of the show. George is such a geek its hard not to think he's funny, Kramer is just awesome and wierd and awesome at the same time, Jerry actually has a good head on his shoulders, and Elaine, well, every show's gotta have a short girl.

What I have found funny with most of the episodes is that they poke fun at normal occurances; things you think about but very rarely talk about. Like Man hands, the Bro, the Cigar Store Indian, stuff like that.

My favorite character is Jerry because I can start laughing just by looking at him, and he makes fun of the characters without them knowing it, or simply not responding. For instance, when George joined Elaine and Jerry at their diner, Jerry motions to George and says "speaking of having it all," which is hilarious because George was unemployed and living with his parents. See, this is funny stuff right here.

Semper Fi said:
What I have found funny with most of the episodes is that they poke fun at normal occurances; things you think about but very rarely talk about. Like Man hands, the Bro, the Cigar Store Indian, stuff like that...

And close-talkers and low-talkers. :D

fuzzykitten99 said:
but its only funny for so long...then its just annoying.

Kramer can be funny, but his mannerisms and personality is irritating to me after a while. I guess it got too predictable to be funny anymore.
but Southpark is not predictable?

The ClayTaurus said:
but Southpark is not predictable?

it is, but i think South Park is much less cornball. Plus they make fun of Hollywood elitists (and many conservatives too), as well as involve many hot topic issues of America into their cartoons, all the while making it funny. Though not all episodes are funny. I think it is also the sick-mind of mine that enjoys the crude humor as well. Sometimes they do just come off as stupid, like Matt & Trey hit a writers' block in that episode.

Seinfeld does have many funny episodes, but less often IMO.

i dunno. i don't make a point to watch it, never did. if it is the only thing on, I might watch it, but usually I will turn the tv off and find something else to do instead.

Like everyone said, that's kind of the point. I think the show was more revolutionary than most people realize in that it was the first sitcom where none of the main characters ever made any huge efforts to be particularly likable, and I also like that most of the comedy comes from characters and situations, rather than the typical sitcom-y "zinger" style of jokes. I agree with Semper in that it is very much closer to British humor than American in this respect.

But, yeah, if you're not a fan of neurotic, self-centered characters, it's definitely not for you.

Semper, I kind of like Jerry, but George is still my man. Then again, Jerry had 2 of my favorite lines on the show: in the episode where George is eating at his girlfriend's mother's house and she catches him eating an eclair out of the garbage, Jerry's reaction when he hears the story really cracks me up: "So, you said, 'what the hell, I'll eat some garbage.'" I literally LOL'ed just now, just typing it.

Oh, and the other one is later on in that episode, Kramer's going on about something and Jerry goes "Boy, you can sure talk some trash," then looks at George and says "I guess that's better than eating it."

Semper, since you mentioned British comedy, have you ever seen the British version of The Office? It's really good, but VERY British. Same thing with another, lesser known show called Spaced.

Forum List

Back