Segregation and Crime

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
I just finished reading "American Apartheid," which explains segregation and the making of the underclass. I think it's appropriate now because I've once again seen remarks about blacks being criminals. Some folks today have called BLM criminals.

Here are some book excerpts:

"Segregation is created by a process of racial turnover fueled by the persistence of significant anti-black prejudice. The black ghetto was created and maintained by racially biased practices of real estate agents and financial institutions.

The end result is that blacks remain the most spatially isolated population in the U.S. Racial segregation makes neighborhoods where blacks live particularly vulnerable to disinvestment and decay. Poor blacks are more likely to be trapped in neighborhoods caught in the grip of downward spirals, because segregation acts to concentrate poverty and all things associated with it,(like crime.) Racism is the most basic cause of the underclass condition.

Ghetto culture is rooted in the structural conditions of poverty, dependency and joblessness, over which the residents have little control. Over time, as intense racial isolation and concentrated poverty have continued, ghetto attitudes, values and ideals have become progressively less connected to those prevailing elsewhere in the U.S. The culture has become an entity unto itself. The proliferation of the drug culture has exacerbated the problems caused by segregation and its concentration of poverty.

The culture of segregation arises from the coincidence of racial isolation and high poverty, which inevitably occurs when a poor minority group is segregated. By concentrating poverty, segregation simultaneously concentrates male joblessness, teenage motherhood, single parenthood, alcoholism and drug use, thus creating an entirely black social world in which these OPPOSITIONAL STATES are normative.

It requires a great deal of concentrated effort by committed parents and no small amount of luck to raise children successfully within the ghetto. Given the burden of "acting white," the pressures to speak Black English, the social stigma attached to "brainiacs," the allure of drug taking, the quick money to be had from drug dealing, it is not surprising that black achievement has stagnated.(and black crime has not).

As a by-product of the drug culture, crime and violent death among black men has skyrocketed. The social order and oppositional culture is dramatically different from that prevailing in the rest of American society."

I say to all of this that we are so quick to blame the victims and criticize their lives and decisions. We have not, however, lived their lives and I believe we would do well to try to educate ourselves and try to understand the forces that have shaped their lives.

Here's another portion I can't leave out. "Given the clear evidence of segregation's ill effects on American society, why wasn't something done about it? Why didn't political leaders and policymakers take forceful steps to dismantle the ghetto, especially after 1960, when violent riots and the unmistakable spread of social disorder within the black community made clear the price the nation was paying for the persistence of segregation? Why did the country tolerate, for two decades, a fair housing law that was so obviously defective? The simple answer to these questions, sadly, is that most people wanted blacks confined to ghettos and were content to work around the unpleasant social consequences. Ultimate responsibility for the persistence of racial segregation rests with white America. On issues of race and residence, white America continues to be fundamentally hypocritical and self-deceiving."

I believe white Americans ARE being basically hypocritical when we point to other folks as criminals. We are primarily responsible for creating living conditions that are criminal. Maybe not all of us are guilty of sins of commission, but certainly we are responsible for sins of omission when we say and do nothing while such things go on.

old stuff Delerius-------I read that stuff in the 1960s--------I am not all much older than are you----
have you been living under a rock for the past 50 years?

old stuff Delerius-------I read that stuff in the 1960s--------I am not all much older than are you----
Under a cloud of racism would be more accurate. My father, from Missouri, used to say things like "They want everything handed to them on a silver platter," or "They need the gospel too, but we can't associate with them."

When I lived in Lancaster County, racism just sort of hung in the air, but you didn't talk about it.

When I met my husband, he taught me about things I had never heard of before. We married and raised kids, and now that they're grown, I"m having much more time to read and learn. And unfortunately, I know family and friends who are ignorant of a lot of these facts that you say are old news.

By the way, since you've known about all this stuff, what can you say you've done about any of it? Anything you could share?

Under a cloud of racism would be more accurate. My father, from Missouri, used to say things like "They want everything handed to them on a silver platter," or "They need the gospel too, but we can't associate with them."

When I lived in Lancaster County, racism just sort of hung in the air, but you didn't talk about it.

When I met my husband, he taught me about things I had never heard of before. We married and raised kids, and now that they're grown, I"m having much more time to read and learn. And unfortunately, I know family and friends who are ignorant of a lot of these facts that you say are old news.

By the way, since you've known about all this stuff, what can you say you've done about any of it? Anything you could share?

more than you and yours have done----your "question" is vulgar----it is unfortunate that
you "grew up" culturally deprived------but it Is not my fault

more than you and yours have done----your "question" is vulgar----it is unfortunate that
I don't believe it is vulgar - just a question. You say more than me and mine - like what? And how do you know what me and mine have done?

I don't believe it is vulgar - just a question. You say more than me and mine - like what? And how do you know what me and mine have done?

It is obvious----at first you said that you did not even know "it" existed-----and now
you say "it" is all new to you. Then you explain that you have lived utterly
IMMERSED in it. I have lived my life trying not to be utterly clueless and avoiding
throwing shit at people. I would like to ask a question-----when did the words
"THEY WANT EVERYTHING HANDED TO THEM.." suddenly seem objectionable
to you? (btw---who is "they" in Missouri or Lancaster County?) People old like us--
I am older but you probably do remember the 1960s and 70s-----had the
issue of racism thrown at us incessantly which is why your comments seem odd to me.

It is obvious----at first you said that you did not even know "it" existed-----and now
IMMERSED in it. I have lived my life trying not to be utterly clueless and avoiding
to you? (btw---who is "they" in Missouri or Lancaster County?) People old like us--
issue of racism thrown at us incessantly which is why your comments seem odd to me.
My father used to say that phrase about black men basically. It became objectionable to me when I actually met a black men who was every bit it as hard working as any white man I knew. I was 18 before I even met a black person face to face. I decided to no longer believe the stereotypes I had heard growing up.

I'm 66. Graduated high school in 1968 and moved from Lancaster County to Philadelphia to work at a Christian Youth Organization in 1971. I was there until 1978 immersed in teaching Bible studies and running weekend and summer camp.

Some of the kids there opened my eyes to things that had been happening in the inner cities, but I was more focused on other matters then.

Where were you when you "had racism thrown at you incessantly?" Just curious.

My father used to say that phrase about black men basically. It became objectionable to me when I actually met a black men who was every bit it as hard working as any white man I knew. I was 18 before I even met a black person face to face. I decided to no longer believe the stereotypes I had heard growing up.

I'm 66. Graduated high school in 1968 and moved from Lancaster County to Philadelphia to work at a Christian Youth Organization in 1971. I was there until 1978 immersed in teaching Bible studies and running weekend and summer camp.

Some of the kids there opened my eyes to things that had been happening in the inner cities, but I was more focused on other matters then.

Where were you when you "had racism thrown at you incessantly?" Just curious.

I grew up in the USA------small town at that time---in the "tri-state area" ----that means
next to New York My town was LILY-WHITE by "design"-------kinda like by "gentlemen's agreement. A real estate agent who sold to "colored people" at
that time would likely be lynched------but I was lucky. My parents were jews from
New York and way back in the early 50s my mom was so distressed by our neighbors
that she said "I'll show them----I am going to sell this house to colored people".
(note the "colored people"------this term became dirty in the 1960s-----racist!!!!
but in the 50s it was "genteel". You are obviously one of the "GOYIM" <<<
this term became racist too, more recently) It is probably true that I was more aware
of racism in the USA than were you because my parents were aware.-----for the record---
the agent that sold our house to my father was also in a bit of trouble----way back in
the early 50s. -----BETTER NEWS!!!! I ran into some BLACKS (no longer colored
person)----who live in that very same lily white town NOW

I should mention----I worked in Philadelphia for part of my life------and have one sister-in-law
from that town. Philadelphians tend to be weird-----and racist. My sister-in-law
would not consider taking a walk or using public transportation in SOUTH PHILLY---
or even in the center part of the city
------and considered my usage of the under ground trains back then-----UTTERLY
PERVERSE------kinda like it marked me as something "lesser". "WALKING"
in the city was another vice of which I was guilty------because of the "people" one
encountered

I should mention----I worked in Philadelphia for part of my life------and have one sister-in-law
from that town. Philadelphians tend to be weird-----and racist. My sister-in-law
would not consider taking a walk or using public transportation in SOUTH PHILLY---
or even in the center part of the city
------and considered my usage of the under ground trains back then-----UTTERLY
PERVERSE------kinda like it marked me as something "lesser". "WALKING"
in the city was another vice of which I was guilty------because of the "people" one
encountered
I have ridden the subway to work every weekday for the last 17 years with never a problem. I walk my dog every day, sometimes after dark. I know what you're saying though about Philadelphians. Interesting how life experiences teach us things we never learned in school.

Forum List

Back