Sec of Defense says automatic cuts to defense would damage our national security yet

Keep in mind this was back in 09:

Defense_Spending_by_Country-570x268.png

and?

And the function of our military is national defense, not preemptive global offense. The US Armed Forces are to protect US citizens, not bankrupt them.

I'm glad the "Super Committee" failed. Now at least we'll see some cuts. It's not nearly enough but at least they're beginning to cut.

Something we agree on.

Our military is bloated and set up to fight an adversary that no longer exists.

Obama says he will veto any attempt to stop the cuts.

All of this mess makes it quite clear to me that Obama STILL puts ideology above the best interest of our country. It also makes me feel that NOTHING will change as long as he remains in office.

We do need to transform our military to deal with the threats we face in this new global age and there may be room for cuts in that transformation. BUT just blindly cutting military budgets without forethought is foolish.

YOu give him more credit than I do. YOu say it's ideology, and I wonder just what his agenda is.

Whoever doesn't want defense cuts should tell us how we should pay for maintaining defense spending at the current levels, or even increasing it.

Increase revenue? or increase borrowing? or cut something else...

which is it? Those are the choices, in any combination.

Give welfare people a uniform and a gun hows that?

Whoever doesn't want defense cuts should tell us how we should pay for maintaining defense spending at the current levels, or even increasing it.

Whoever doesn't want medicare, medicaid or SSI cuts should tell us how we should pay for maintaining this entitlements spending at the current levels, or even increasing it.

which is it? Those are the choices, in any combination

:eusa_whistle:

And we are the most threatened country next to Israel. Especially since Obama took office.

Threatened by propaganda maybe. Europe is MUCH more vulnurable to attack than the US is an ocean away. Our missile defense shield Russia's currently bitching about and making threats over is designed to protect Europe yet we bear the financial and political burden for it. How does that help or protect US citizens?

I'm actually ok with these cuts. I'll take any cuts i can get at this point. But it is interesting one of his own lackeys is opposing him this way. Stay tuned i guess.

So you support cutting defense in order to fund Obamacare? 1 trillion out of one put right into another. It's just a game. A game at the expense of our safety.

I do and I make my living in the defense industry. $60 billion per year can be cut with ease.

Whoever doesn't want medicare, medicaid or SSI cuts should tell us how we should pay for maintaining this entitlements spending at the current levels, or even increasing it.

Social Security is paying for itself. Get your facts straight before you try to be a smartass.

Medicare needs a combination of higher payroll taxes and less benefits to bring it into line actuarily.

Medicaid we can pay for by putting the top tax rate back and using the savings we get from cutting defense.

I'm actually ok with these cuts. I'll take any cuts i can get at this point. But it is interesting one of his own lackeys is opposing him this way. Stay tuned i guess.

So you support cutting defense in order to fund Obamacare? 1 trillion out of one put right into another. It's just a game. A game at the expense of our safety.

We spend much more than any other country spends. You're "either/or" stance is bullshit.

Social Security is paying for itself. Get your facts straight before you try to be a smartass.

Medicare needs a combination of higher payroll taxes and less benefits to bring it into line actuarily.

Medicaid we can pay for by putting the top tax rate back and using the savings we get from cutting defense.

Could have. That money is gone and has been for a while.

Maybe you need to be reminded that borrowing had to occur for checks to go out recently as the president threatened.

We spend much more than any other country spends. You're "either/or" stance is bullshit.

I never said either/or. I said cut frivolous spending first THEN plan the cuts to necessary items.

Nice projection attempt though.

Yeah, it would restore between 3 and 5 trillion dollars. And nobody would miss the money. It takes a special sort of dumbass to think that restoring the tax rates would be catastrophic. A special sort of dumbass or a GOP congressional member; one in the same really.

Obama will veto attempts to circumvent automatic cuts because congress needs to wallow in their mess a while. If they will not listen to the people they will probably listen to the defense contractors who will come right into their offices and tell them to grow the hell up and keep shoveling them some cash.

I never said either/or. I said cut frivolous spending first THEN plan the cuts to necessary items.

Nice projection attempt though.

"....at the expense of our safety" Funny.

Forum List

Back