Sec of Defense says automatic cuts to defense would damage our national security yet

We spend much more than any other country spends. You're "either/or" stance is bullshit.

I never said either/or. I said cut frivolous spending first THEN plan the cuts to necessary items.

Nice projection attempt though.

"....at the expense of our safety" Funny.

Oh I completely believe that blind across the board cuts are risky and foolish. But I do believe that well planned cuts are completely reasonable.

Don't worry folks, the US will still be spending more on defense than the rest of the world combined. As a matter of fact, spending on defense will still increase.

Per Rand Paul: "This may surprise some people, but there will be no cuts in military spending because we're only cutting proposed increases. If we do nothing, military spending goes up 23% over 10 years. If we [make this cut], it will still go up 16%."

Read more: Crying wolf over military spending "cuts" - Stossel's Take Blog - Fox Business

So there you have it! There is no need to go hide under your bed,,,,all is well.

Obama says he will veto any attempt to stop the cuts.

All of this mess makes it quite clear to me that Obama STILL puts ideology above the best interest of our country. It also makes me feel that NOTHING will change as long as he remains in office.

We do need to transform our military to deal with the threats we face in this new global age and there may be room for cuts in that transformation. BUT just blindly cutting military budgets without forethought is foolish.

Try gettin' a.......

.....Grandfeathers.​

All of this mess makes it quite clear to me that Obama STILL puts ideology above the best interest of our country. It also makes me feel that NOTHING will change as long as he remains in office.

We do need to transform our military to deal with the threats we face in this new global age and there may be room for cuts in that transformation. BUT just blindly cutting military budgets without forethought is foolish.

Try gettin' a.......

.....Grandfeathers.​

try getting some new crayons.

While I am sure there are legitimate savings to be found in Defense. I do find it rather troubling that our Government does nothing about out of control Entitlement costs, and Wasteful spending across every other Government agency, and only wants to slash our national Defense budget.

not so long ago it was Policy we be able to fight 1 major, and 2 minor Wars at the same time. Obama's new Plan will have us only able to fight 1 Minor War at a time. Very foolish. The cat is going away, and the mice are going to come out and play.

Since it looks to me like Obama is going to win yet another term. It seems all we can do is sit back and watch this Disaster play out, and hope there is something left to defend when it is over.

Last edited:
The automatic defense cuts were put in place in the debt ceiling bill that was described by John Boeher as

the GOP getting '98% of what we wanted'...

Let's hear from the people who don't want the defense cuts,

how do you want to pay for it? How do you want to pay for keeping defense at these levels, plus increases?

Eh?

It would save taxpayers tons of dough and force all elected officials to cut the NOT necessary weapons the military will use nor does the military want.

The military gets plenty of money. They allow defense contractors to bill them outrageous amounts. They paid a defense contractor $998,000 to ship 2 lock washers that cost $0.19 each. That just scratches the surface. They paid one contractor over $20 million to ship about $150k worth of merchandise.

Last edited:
The military gets plenty of money. They allow defense contractors to bill them outrageous amounts. They paid a defense contractor $998,000 to ship 2 lock washers that cost $0.19 each. That just scratches the surface. They paid over $20 million to ship about $150k worth of merchandise.
Now that kind of crap needs to cease...but then that's what you get when you have irresponsible Government employees running the show and aren't held accountable.

military-boneyard-waste.jpg

These are working war machines that we no longer use
because we have newer, better ones that we don't need.

We waste trillions of dollars on "defense" to make military contractors wealthier
while half of American kids live below the poverty level.​

Let's hear from the people who don't want the defense cuts,

how do you want to pay for it? How do you want to pay for keeping defense at these levels, plus increases?

Eh?

So, I asked the above question a month ago and didn't get a single answer.

Do you supporters of the same or increased military spending need another month to think about it?

So, we should keep spending almost a trillion dollars on defense annually? Exactly how is the US going to keep spending this much? Why is so important to spend more on defense than the entire world combined?
How many times do we have to kill the entire population of the entire world?
Below is the true cost of defense spending.

Forum List

Back