Seattle minimum wage hike brings lawsuits

How? Economic justice is tyranny?

Where is the justice in slamming businesses operating on very thin profit margins with an absurdly high minimum wage.
You do realize this is not going to fly.
Seattle residents and elected officials are going to be wondering what happened to all the retail and restaurants that were once in the city.

If a business operates on a thin profit margin it's because they made it that way from funneling off profit. Net profit, corporate paychecks, corporate credit cards, paying house payments, etc.

You just proved that there's no way you're telling the truth about being in the 1% if you believe what you just posted. What is "net profit" supposed to mean? Is that supposed to be something you subtract from profit that you don't have to pay taxes on? What about corporate paychecks? Do you imagine the business owner doesn't have to pay taxes on the salary he takes from the business? Do you actually believe a business owner can use a corporate credit card to purchase personal items and get away with it on his income taxes? His house payment likewise?

What a moron.

“The Republicans believe in the minimum wage — the more the minimum, the better.” - Harry Truman

Harry Truman obviously never read any books about economics. Otherwise he wouldn't have said anything so idiotic.

“The Republicans believe in the minimum wage — the more the minimum, the better.” - Harry Truman

Harry Truman obviously never read any books about economics. Otherwise he wouldn't have said anything so idiotic.

A low minimum wage that has failed to keep up with inflation or worker productivity creates a taxpayer subsidy to low-wage employers.

Raising the minimum wage would reduce the cost of social welfare programs, foster economic growth, and strengthen families - all virtues extolled by conservatives.

A low minimum wage that has failed to keep up with inflation or worker productivity creates a taxpayer subsidy to low-wage employers.

Raising the minimum wage would reduce the cost of social welfare programs, foster economic growth, and strengthen families - all virtues extolled by conservatives.

Harry may not have read books on economics, but you certainly do seem to be swimming in fairy tales.

all that I've done is provided workers with the same subsidies provided to business. In addition, monies that would have been provided back to the states are given to workers of the state. ie; the actual numbers don't change, whom gets paid does.

Now I am starting to see the problem. If what I'm about to say doesn't actually fit what you believe, then you should clarify, because this is how I'm taking this.

The problem lies with the word 'subsidies'.

See, in right-wing land... to subsidize, has a very specific meaning. We believe that earned money is owned by the person who earned it, thus it is their property, and theirs alone.

To subsidize, means to take money from the pocket of person X, have the government give a bunch of it to bureaucracies, then the government gives out a portion to Person Y. So person X, through the tyranny of government, is forced to subsidize person Y.

That is a 'subsidy' in Right-wing land.

In Liftard Land... Subsidize has a nebulous meaning. They tend to all believe the first example is a subsidy, yes, but they also believe other things too. They believe that all money in the world is theirs. That wage you are 'earning' is really their money, and they are just allowing you to have a portion of it.

Thus, if they decide that you must give them $100 every month, and then one month they only take $90, instead of $100, then they have 'subsidized' you, because that $10 you have, is really their money, and they are only giving you the privileged of having that money.

In short, a tax deduction, you paying less of 'their money' to them, is them subsidizing you.

So people on the left tend to call a business not paying quite as much in taxes, as they could pay if they had no deductions, in leftard world is a subsidy.

So here's the problem.

When you see a business getting $100,000 in subsidies, to a typical leftard, that means the business is 'getting' $100,000.

So if the business is 'getting' $100,000, then why can't we just shift that $100,000 to the employee??

Well because the company is not 'getting' $100,000. It's $100,000 in deduction. And even that is not $100,000 saved in taxes. That's not how a deduction works.

If I pay $20,000 in mortgage interest on my home, I get a $20,000 deduction. Well that doesn't mean I save $20K. It means I save $20,000 X my tax rate, which is 25%. So I saved $5,000, by spending $20,000.

So a business getting $100,000 in tax deductions isn't even worth $100K.

But that doesn't change the fact that you can't pay employees with a deduction. A deduction doesn't magically create money, it reduces the lose of money.

When you jack up the wages to $23.50 an hour, moving a tax deduction from the employer to the employee, doesn't magically make money to pay the employee. If anything, it reduces the amount of money the employer has to pay wages with.

Most businesses are getting zero in real subsidies. They get taxes deductions, but there is no money the government is giving them, that can be moved to paying the employees.

And no business is paying even a fraction in taxes, that giving them a deduction, even a $1 to $1 deduction, would cover even the smallest fraction of a $23.50 an hour labor cost.

The government would end up losing all the tax revenue, and end up directly subsidizing the wages of 50% of the workers in America. If you want to have a direct replay of Greece in America, that's the way to do it. Complete national bankruptcy.

Last edited:

No, fail. That has never been the case. Increasing the minimum wage, has always resulted in job losses. If you have a welfare system, forcing people to be unemployed, doesn't reduce cost to the government.

Where is the justice in slamming businesses operating on very thin profit margins with an absurdly high minimum wage.
Seattle residents and elected officials are going to be wondering what happened to all the retail and restaurants that were once in the city.

If a business operates on a thin profit margin it's because they made it that way from funneling off profit. Net profit, corporate paychecks, corporate credit cards, paying house payments, etc.

You just proved to me, that you don't know what you are talking about. I know, and I have worked for, dozens of businesses with thin profit margins, and none of them had anything like you suggest going on.

Why are people applying for minimum wage jobs? Let them sit unfilled. Problem solved.

Republicans aren't necessarily for the working man because that would conflict with their support for the uber wealthy. The minimum wage thing though I don't see. Minimum wage equates with minimum effort and anything other than that is worth more pay. Its called capitalism.

Republicans aren't necessarily for the working man because that would conflict with their support for the uber wealthy. The minimum wage thing though I don't see. Minimum wage equates with minimum effort and anything other than that is worth more pay. Its called capitalism.

How would being in favor of the working people, be in conflict with being in favor of the rich?

You just proved that there's no way you're telling the truth about being in the 1% if you believe what you just posted. What is "net profit" supposed to mean? Is that supposed to be something you subtract from profit that you don't have to pay taxes on?

Net profit is the cash left over after all the bills are paid.

What about corporate paychecks? Do you imagine the business owner doesn't have to pay taxes on the salary he takes from the business?

It's called deferred income. You can't spend it but you can invest it, and more importantly you can borrow on it. Long term-interest only....think about it.

Do you actually believe a business owner can use a corporate credit card to purchase personal items and get away with it on his income taxes? His house payment likewise?

Yes. It's actually an everyday thing, but don't tell anyone.

What a moron.

WRONG! Smart-Rich-Guy.

Net profit is the cash left over after all the bills are paid.

It's called deferred income. You can't spend it but you can invest it, and more importantly you can borrow on it. Long term-interest only....think about it.

What a moron.

WRONG! Smart-Rich-Guy.

I owned several businesses, you never mix personal with corporate, otherwise you compromise the wall between personal and corporate liability.

Why would one want to damage that barrier?

WRONG! Smart-Rich-Guy.

You mean like absolutely any employee can put money in their 401K and then borrow against their 401K.... think about it?

And I highly doubt anyone would use company money, to buy a property, because that would make the property a possible liability to the company.

In other words, if I own an LLC, the entire purpose of doing that is to limit my liability. Hence the name "limited liability corporation".

If I pay my mortgage with money still in the LLC, that would make the property liable. If the company get's sued, they could very easily make a case that the property is owned by the company, and I could lose my home.... defeating the entire purpose of having the LLC to begin with.

Are there some people who do this? Perhaps. But I would wage few and far between. Most likely people who don't realize just how much danger they are putting their personal residence at. You claim it happens often, but I doubt it.

Franchise Group To Sue Over Seattle's $15-An-Hour Minimum Wage - Forbes

If the law stands it will be interesting to see the net results in a year or so after implementation.

Wow. People are so selfish over there, aren't they? Just pay the workers more and shut up about it.

Ok, so what happens when because you can't compete, you go out of business, and all the employees end up laid off anyway?

Have you ever run a business before?

Of course not. She's a marginally-capable burger flipper with no marketable skills.

You have clearly never run a business. More than likely, you were born with a silver spoon up your ass & never WORKED a day in your life.

You are dumb as rat shit.

Franchise Group To Sue Over Seattle's $15-An-Hour Minimum Wage - Forbes

If the law stands it will be interesting to see the net results in a year or so after implementation.

Wow. People are so selfish over there, aren't they? Just pay the workers more and shut up about it.
I want it. I want it now. I don't care how much it affects other people. This is your attitude.

That, is the very definition of selfish, and immaturity.

You have clearly never run a business. More than likely, you were born with a silver spoon up your ass & never WORKED a day in your life.

My point being is why would you have a business that has a thin profit margin?

My point being is why would you have a business that has a thin profit margin?

Not everyone sells gold buddy. I would rather have a thin profit margin than a boss or a welfare check.

Forum List

Back