Sean Penn and El Chapo

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
'El Chapo' met with actor Sean Penn months before recapture, Rolling Stone magazine says

Drug kingpin Joaquin Guzman, the billionaire fugitive captured in a shootout Friday in Mexico, met with actor Sean Penn for a secret interview for Rolling Stone magazine in the months before his capture.

The article, written by Penn and published Saturday night, reveals that the actor traveled to Mexico to interview Guzman, widely known as El Chapo, in October, while the drug lord was on the run from Mexican authorities after escaping prison.

The seven-hour interview is considered to be the first Guzman has conducted in decades. The actor, accompanied by Mexican soap drama actress Kate del Castillo, who helped broker the meeting, met with Guzman at an undisclosed jungle location in Mexico, surrounded by dozens of cartel guards.

So, is Penn going to be arrested for knowing where this guy was?

Is Hillary going to be arrested for knowing 4 men were dying? These days one hardly dare to hope Leftists be held accountable for their criminal actions.

Mebbe Sean Penn can star in his own movie `bout him helpin' to take down El Chapo...

Sean Penn meeting, Hollywood dreams help Mexican drug lord's downfall
Sun Jan 10, 2016 - A clandestine meeting that Hollywood star Sean Penn orchestrated with Joaquin "Chapo" Guzman in a jungle hideout late last year helped the Mexican government catch the world's most-wanted drug lord, sources said.
Guzman, the infamous boss of the Sinaloa drug cartel, was arrested in northwestern Mexico on Friday morning and sent back to the prison he broke out of in July through a mile-long tunnel that led straight into his cell. It was his second prison break. To avoid a repeat of that humiliation, Mexico's government says it aims to hand Guzman over to U.S. justice as soon as possible. Penn's rare access to Guzman in October was assisted by Mexican actress Kate del Castillo. They were driven some of the way to the hideout by Guzman's son, who the Hollywood star says was waved on by soldiers when they apparently recognized him.

Another leg of the day-long trip through central Mexico to meet Guzman was on a light aircraft allegedly fitted with equipment to evade radar detection, Penn said in a story published in Rolling Stone magazine on Saturday. Penn said in the article that he was sure the Mexican government and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration were tracking him. Senior Mexican government sources said they were indeed aware of the October meeting and monitored his movements. That helped lead troops days later to a ranch where Guzman was staying, one of the sources said. Mexican forces used helicopter gunships to attack Guzman's ranch during a siege that lasted days.

The kingpin narrowly escaped, with what he told Del Castillo was a minor leg injury, but the raid in the northern state of Durango was a major breakthrough in the manhunt. Guzman was finally recaptured on Friday in the northern city of Los Mochis after a showdown fit for the silver screen. In a pre-dawn attack by Mexican marines who killed five of his henchmen, the portly capo survived by squeezing through a secret tunnel into the city's grimy storm drains, only to pop out of a manhole near a Pollo Feliz restaurant hours later.

Leaving a mud-caked automatic rifle behind, he hijacked two cars before police blocked the highway as he sped out of town. Once detained, they held him at a seedy motel until backup arrived. Mexican Attorney General Arely Gomez on Friday said that the drug boss's yearning for movie fame had helped bring him down.

'BIGGEST BLOCKBUSTER'

'El Chapo' met with actor Sean Penn months before recapture, Rolling Stone magazine says

Drug kingpin Joaquin Guzman, the billionaire fugitive captured in a shootout Friday in Mexico, met with actor Sean Penn for a secret interview for Rolling Stone magazine in the months before his capture.

The article, written by Penn and published Saturday night, reveals that the actor traveled to Mexico to interview Guzman, widely known as El Chapo, in October, while the drug lord was on the run from Mexican authorities after escaping prison.

The seven-hour interview is considered to be the first Guzman has conducted in decades. The actor, accompanied by Mexican soap drama actress Kate del Castillo, who helped broker the meeting, met with Guzman at an undisclosed jungle location in Mexico, surrounded by dozens of cartel guards.

He didn't know where the guy was. He was taken there. Say some guys drove and flew you around for hours through northwestern Mexico. Would you be able to figure out later where in northwestern Mexico they took you? No you would not.

Unless he was bugged. Or snitched when he got out of there.
I doubt he snitched on El Chappo, though. He is pretending to be a journalist.

Mebbe Sean Penn can star in his own movie `bout him helpin' to take down El Chapo...

Sean Penn meeting, Hollywood dreams help Mexican drug lord's downfall
Sun Jan 10, 2016 - A clandestine meeting that Hollywood star Sean Penn orchestrated with Joaquin "Chapo" Guzman in a jungle hideout late last year helped the Mexican government catch the world's most-wanted drug lord, sources said.
Guzman, the infamous boss of the Sinaloa drug cartel, was arrested in northwestern Mexico on Friday morning and sent back to the prison he broke out of in July through a mile-long tunnel that led straight into his cell. It was his second prison break. To avoid a repeat of that humiliation, Mexico's government says it aims to hand Guzman over to U.S. justice as soon as possible. Penn's rare access to Guzman in October was assisted by Mexican actress Kate del Castillo. They were driven some of the way to the hideout by Guzman's son, who the Hollywood star says was waved on by soldiers when they apparently recognized him.

Another leg of the day-long trip through central Mexico to meet Guzman was on a light aircraft allegedly fitted with equipment to evade radar detection, Penn said in a story published in Rolling Stone magazine on Saturday. Penn said in the article that he was sure the Mexican government and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration were tracking him. Senior Mexican government sources said they were indeed aware of the October meeting and monitored his movements. That helped lead troops days later to a ranch where Guzman was staying, one of the sources said. Mexican forces used helicopter gunships to attack Guzman's ranch during a siege that lasted days.

The kingpin narrowly escaped, with what he told Del Castillo was a minor leg injury, but the raid in the northern state of Durango was a major breakthrough in the manhunt. Guzman was finally recaptured on Friday in the northern city of Los Mochis after a showdown fit for the silver screen. In a pre-dawn attack by Mexican marines who killed five of his henchmen, the portly capo survived by squeezing through a secret tunnel into the city's grimy storm drains, only to pop out of a manhole near a Pollo Feliz restaurant hours later.

Leaving a mud-caked automatic rifle behind, he hijacked two cars before police blocked the highway as he sped out of town. Once detained, they held him at a seedy motel until backup arrived. Mexican Attorney General Arely Gomez on Friday said that the drug boss's yearning for movie fame had helped bring him down.

'BIGGEST BLOCKBUSTER'
He didn't help. As your link says, the guy escaped capture in the days after the meeting in October. It wasn't until months later that he was actually captured.

What would he have snitched about? I guarantee he would not have been able to guide authorities to the location. He is not an expert in Mexican geography.

What would he have snitched about? I guarantee he would not have been able to guide authorities to the location. He is not an expert in Mexican geography.
He's not an expert in journalism or acting either.

He didn't know where the guy was. He was taken there. Say some guys drove and flew you around for hours through northwestern Mexico. Would you be able to figure out later where in northwestern Mexico they took you? No you would not.
It was just bad luck, huh? I guess when you're a communist seeking out fellow communists, your odds of befriending a wanted communist increases.

Acting is his craft. I dare say he'd probably outperform you. No comment on his journalism because I haven't read any of it. But bottom line is the cartel most certainly took efforts to ensure Penn would have no prayer of being able to find the hideout on a map or retrace the path to get there.

It was just bad luck, huh? I guess when you're a communist seeking out fellow communists, your odds of befriending a wanted communist increases.
Huh? I'm just saying he couldn't have helped authorities find the guy if he had wanted to because he had no clue where in northwestern Mexico he was taken.

Acting is his craft. I dare say he'd probably outperform you. No comment on his journalism because I haven't read any of it. But bottom line is the cartel most certainly took efforts to ensure Penn would have no prayer of being able to find the hideout on a map or retrace the path to get there.
You mean he isn't nearly as clever as his movie scripts make him out to be? :uhh:

You really think El Chapo is a Communist?

Mebbe the journalism was a cover...

... are there any movies where he played the role of a journalist...

... I seem to remember a movie where he played the friend of a journalist...

... played by James Wood in Central America.

Should he stay or should he go?...

'El Chapo' to be extradited to the United States
Jan. 9, 2016 -- Infamous Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman will be extradited to the United States, according to Mexico's attorney general.
Attorney General Arely Gomez's office confirmed Saturday shortly after Guzman's capture: "Since Guzman Loera has been recaptured, the beginning of the extradition proceedings should begin." CNN reported the United States sought extradition on June 16 of last year -- before Guzman had escaped a Mexican prison the following month. The escape was Guzman's second.

Guzman was lured out of hiding by a promise of fame and glory on the silver screen, the Mexican attorney general said. Gomez told reporters Guzman sought contact with various members of the film industry with hopes of selling the rights to a biographical film about his life. "He established communication with actors and producers, which has formed a new line of investigation," she said during a press conference.

Gomez said meetings with lawyers and other associates also assisted authorities in tracking Guzman. Security forces even came close to capturing the drug lord in October, but the operation was called off because Guzman was accompanied by two women and a child. "The re-apprehension of this criminal and his accomplice is the result of a deep work of intelligence, investigation and coordination between the different institutions of security and of the government," Gomez said.

Guzman's capture at a motel in Los Mochis, Mexico on Friday marked the end of a six-month hunt after he escaped from the maximum-security Altiplano Federal Prison in July. Guzman was taken back to the same Mexican maximum-security prison.

'El Chapo' to be extradited to the United States

See also:

'El Chapo' extradition uncertain as injuctions filed
Jan. 10, 2016 -- The lengthy, uncertain extradition process for drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman has begun as Guzman's lawyer filed six injunctions challenging the motion.
After receiving notification, a defendant has three days to file an appeal to prevent being extradited, as per Mexican law. Guzman's lawyer has reportedly filed six separate injunctions to block extradition. Once a defendant formally appeals, the matter is argued and examined for about 20 working days in Mexico City's District of Federal Criminal Proceedings. Mexican district judges will then decide if Guzman's appeal against extradition is a success or if Guzman will be sent to the United States to face the U.S. Department of Justice. But Mexico's Ministry of Foreign Affairs will make the final extradition decision -- which Guzman can also appeal in both Mexico's District Court and Federal Circuit Court.

In September, Mexican federal judges "gave the orders of detention for international extradition against" Guzman -- meaning the United States' recent formal requests for Guzman's extradition -- submitted in June and August -- were approved by Mexico. The New York Times reports that various hurdles could prevent Guzman from ever being prosecuted in the United States. The White House has yet to comment on the potential extradition and the Justice Department remains ambivalent. "Is it possible? Yes," an anonymous Justice Department official told The New York Times about Guzman's extradition to the United States. "But I have not heard anything definitive."

As per the Mexican government's statement on Guzman's extradition, the drug kingpin will be extradited as long as Guzman's appeal does not succeed. "With the recapture of Guzman Loera, it shall begin the respective extradition proceedings, which, according to the Extradition Act, have different phases," the Mexican government wrote. "Once the district judges issued the respective legal opinion, the courts will be required to transmit the files to the Foreign Ministry to enable it within a period of 20 working days to issue a relevant ruling, where the delivery of the extradition of the person sought will be determined."

In short, Guzman's extradition proceedings, including appeals, could take far more than 40 days and there are no guaranteed results. Guzman was captured on Friday in the city of Los Mochis in his home state of Sinaloa. Five suspected Sinoloa Cartel members were killed and one Mexican marine was wounded during the capture operation.

'El Chapo' extradition uncertain as injuctions filed

Related:

Sean Penn's interview with 'El Chapo' may have led police to him
Jan. 10, 2016 -- Infamous drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman met for an interview with famous Hollywood star Sean Penn three months after his escape, which may have partly attributed to his capture.
For the seven-hour Rolling Stone interview conducted on Oct. 2, Penn and Guzman met in a jungle of Mexico's mountainous Durango state. Follow-up interviews occurred by phone and video. In the El Chapo Speaks article, Guzman boasted about his drug business -- saying he "supplies more heroin, methamphetamine, cocaine and marijuana than anybody else in the world." When asked how he became involved in the drug trade, Guzman pointed to poignant humble beginnings. "Well, from the time I was 15 and after, where I come from... there are no job opportunities," Guzman told Penn. "The only way to have money to buy food, to survive, is to grow poppy, marijuana, and at that age, I began to grow it, to cultivate it and to sell it."

Penn later asks Guzman if it is true that drugs destroy humanity and bring harm. "Well, it's a reality that drugs destroy. Unfortunately, as I said, where I grew up there was no other way and there still isn't a way to survive, no way to work in our economy to be able to make a living," Guzman replied. Penn immediately asks Guzman if he believes it true that he is responsible for the high level of drug addiction worldwide. "No, that is false, because the day I don't exist, it's not going to decrease in any way at all. Drug trafficking? That's false," Guzman said. "Do you consider yourself a violent person?" Penn asks. "No, sir," Guzman replies. "Are you prone to violence, or do you use it as a last resort?" Penn asks. "Look, all I do is defend myself, nothing more. But do I start trouble? Never," Guzman replies.

Although Penn, with the help of Mexican actress Kate del Castillo, landed one of the most high-profile interviews in recent history, what Guzman did not know was that his attempts to reach out to the world would partly lead to his capture. Attorney General Arely Gomez on Friday said that an important aspect of his recapture "was discovering Guzman's intention to have a biographic film made," as he "contacted actresses and producers, which was part of one line of investigation." No other details have been revealed on the process that led authorities to Guzman and Penn's interview is not directly named as the origin of the "one line of investigation" that led to Guzman's capture.

On July 11, Guzman escaped from a Mexican maximum security prison for the second time using a mile-long tunnel, which could have taken a year to build. "El Chapo" -- meaning "The Short One" or "shorty" -- so dubbed because of his 5-foot-6-inch frame, was captured in Guatemala in 1993 and then extradited to Mexico to face murder and drug trafficking charges. He escaped from prison in 2001 by hiding in a laundry cart after bribing prison guards, and was re-captured in February 2014. Guzman was captured on Friday in the city of Los Mochis in his home state of Sinaloa. Five suspected Sinoloa Cartel members were killed and one Mexican marine was wounded during the capture operation.

Sean Penn's interview with 'El Chapo' may have led police to him

Not only should Penn be arrested, all the people that went with and everyone working at that rag that knew what he was up to should be in chains.

Not only should Penn be arrested, all the people that went with and everyone working at that rag that knew what he was up to should be in chains.
Rolling Stone is trying desperately to remain relevant...and failing

No, but the authorities could by triangulating your cellphone.

Forum List

Back