Sean Parker former Facebook Pres. donates-250-million-launch-Cancer-Immunotherapy-in California

Eaglewings

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
As a breast cancer survivor X2 recovering now...This Is Huge People!!!! Big studies have shown the treatment is working for thousands of cancer patients across America. I hope I can get into a study..

Silicon Valley billionaire Sean Parker will donate $250 million to launch a new institute aimed at developing more effective cancer treatments by fostering collaboration among leading researchers in the field.

It will include over 40 laboratories and more than 300 researchers from six key cancer centers: New York's Memorial Sloan Kettering, Stanford Medicine, the University of California, Los Angeles, the University of California, San Francisco, Houston's University of Texas MD Anderson and the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

Tech Mogul Sean Parker Donates $250M to Cancer Fight

What is cancer immunotherapy? | American Cancer Society

What is cancer immunotherapy?
Immunotherapy is treatment that uses certain parts of a person’s immune system to fight diseases such as cancer. This can be done in a couple of ways:

• Stimulating your own immune system to work harder or smarter to attack cancer cells
  • Giving you immune system components, such as man-made immune system proteins
Some types of immunotherapy are also sometimes called biologic therapy or biotherapy.

In the last few decades immunotherapy has become an important part of treating some types of cancer. Newer types of immune treatments are now being studied, and they’ll impact how we treat cancer in the future.

As a breast cancer survivor X2 recovering now...This Is Huge People!!!! Big studies have shown the treatment is working for thousands of cancer patients across America. I hope I can get into a study..

Silicon Valley billionaire Sean Parker will donate $250 million to launch a new institute aimed at developing more effective cancer treatments by fostering collaboration among leading researchers in the field.

It will include over 40 laboratories and more than 300 researchers from six key cancer centers: New York's Memorial Sloan Kettering, Stanford Medicine, the University of California, Los Angeles, the University of California, San Francisco, Houston's University of Texas MD Anderson and the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

I saw that this AM, eagle, and you are right, it IS huge! I especially like the caveat of sharing knowledge. If we can just get the Pharma manufacturers to not charge any approved drugs sky high it's a very big win for everyone. This man deserves our thanks.

Immuno-therapy drugs to fight cancer could be approved next year...
icon_cool.gif

Cancer cell therapies could be approved next year: Juno, Kite Pharma
Sat Jun 4, 2016 - A new wave of experimental cancer drugs that directly recruit the immune system's powerful T cells could begin reaching patients next year, according to companies presenting new data at the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
In interviews with Reuters, Kite Pharma Inc (KITE.O) and Juno Therapeutics Inc (JUNO.O) both said they could receive initial regulatory approvals next year for a type of immunotherapy treatment known as chimeric antigen receptor T-cell (CAR-T) therapies. CAR-T therapies involve a complicated process of extracting immune system T cells from an individual patient, altering their DNA to sharpen their ability to spot and kill cancer cells, and infusing them back into the same patient. The technique is being tested against a range of different cancer types, but first in blood cancers. Kite aims to file this year for U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval of its therapy, KTE-C19, for patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL), according to Chief Medical Officer David Chang.

Juno Chief Executive Officer Hans Bishop said adult patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) are now being enrolled in a mid-stage trial of the company's most advanced product, JCAR015, that "we believe will support accelerated approval." He said JCAR015 "could be approved as soon as 2017." Data presented on Saturday showed that 77 percent of patients with advanced ALL achieved a "complete response," meaning cancer remission, when treated with chemotherapy followed by Juno's cell therapy. For the trial patients with minimal disease, 90 percent achieved remission, researchers said. Twenty-seven percent of patients in the JCAR15 trial experienced a severe inflammatory response to the altered cells, and 15 percent had serious nervous system side effects.

r

Preparations of media for cultivating cancer cells, being made in cancer research laboratories at the Old Road Campus research building at Oxford University, in Oxford, Britain​

Bishop said Juno has developed an assay to determine which patients are likely to experience risky side effects, but said the company has not yet disclosed the details. A separate National Institutes of Health early-stage study involving Kite's CAR-T drug and low-dose chemotherapy included 19 patients with various subtypes of DLBCL. Of those, eight patients achieved remission, five had partial responses, two had stable disease, and four had their cancer get worse. Two trial patients with advanced follicular lymphoma also obtained remissions. "In the near future, CAR-T cells will likely be a standard therapy for lymphoma," said lead study author James Kochenderfer, an investigator at the National Cancer Institute.

Some patients treated with the still-experimental therapies have remained cancer free, but the jury is out on whether that will continue, or whether they will need new treatment. "Some of these responses are amazing in patients who would never have responded to anything," said ASCO President Dr Julie Vose. "The question is, is it practical? We are now seeing results for more patients, and longer follow up." Juno's Bishop said he is certain that the benefit of CAR-T therapies will be shown to outweigh any risks. "These are patients that are relapsed and refractory. They are going to die of their disease," he said. "We can get 90 to 100 percent of them into remission, and a meaningful percentage of them have durable remission."

Cancer cell therapies could be approved next year: Juno, Kite Pharma

For your information...you may take it as reliable or not, but it's been known since the early 30's in the OLDER medical community, you may decide why they keep quiet about it!

The cure for cancer was covered up - www.rife.org
www.rife.org/newspaper/planet.html
The Cancer Cure That Worked: The Rife Report was published in April 1987, ... In the 1920s a scientist-inventor named Royal Raymond Rife invented a new ...

Royal Rife: Cancer Cure Genius Silenced by Medical Mafia ...
www.naturalnews.com/027104_cancer_WHO_Chi.html
Sep 26, 2009 - Royal Rife: Cancer Cure Genius Silenced by Medical Mafia. ... who invented and perfected this device had an odd name, Royal Raymond Rife.

For your information...you may take it as reliable or not, but it's been known since the early 30's in the OLDER medical community, you may decide why they keep quiet about it!

The Cancer Cure That Worked: The Rife Report was published in April 1987, ... In the 1920s a scientist-inventor named Royal Raymond Rife invented a new ...

Sep 26, 2009 - Royal Rife: Cancer Cure Genius Silenced by Medical Mafia. ... who invented and perfected this device had an odd name, Royal Raymond Rife.

I believe you 100%,n too much money to lose otherwise.

You will notice how all our SCIENTIFIC geniuses in here have stayed quiet about this.... Fairly hard to refute what you can see, a virus cell, or cancer cell, or for that matter, ANY CELL in the human body has a radio frequency that will destroy it, and no others around it. Rife had also invented a microscope, and if I recall correctly that was capable of magnification up to 60,000 times WITHOUT the use of electrons that destroy any living cells that are put under it. That microscope was disassembled, and DISAPPEARED for now almost 80 years...It would STILL be a marvel of science if man could look at microscopic LIVING tissue at that magnification,and experiment on it, noting what different stimulus do to it.

The QUEST for MONEY, and to MILK THE PUBLIC out of not just BILLIONS, but TRILLIONS of dollars over the last 7+ decades is CRIMINAL....but when you are able to BUY GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS, with political donations, NOTHING is UNETHICAL, IMMORAL, or UNPRINCIPLED!

You will notice how all our SCIENTIFIC geniuses in here have stayed quiet about this.... Fairly hard to refute what you can see, a virus cell, or cancer cell, or for that matter, ANY CELL in the human body has a radio frequency that will destroy it, and no others around it. Rife had also invented a microscope, and if I recall correctly that was capable of magnification up to 60,000 times WITHOUT the use of electrons that destroy any living cells that are put under it. That microscope was disassembled, and DISAPPEARED for now almost 80 years...It would STILL be a marvel of science if man could look at microscopic LIVING tissue at that magnification,and experiment on it, noting what different stimulus do to it.

The QUEST for MONEY, and to MILK THE PUBLIC out of not just BILLIONS, but TRILLIONS of dollars over the last 7+ decades is CRIMINAL....but when you are able to BUY GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS, with political donations, NOTHING is UNETHICAL, IMMORAL, or UNPRINCIPLED!

Missing! I would say Stolen. ..And yes I agree with you on that...

The oncologists ( cancer doctors) are legally bound to only discuss or prescribe what is FDA approved. Well the FDA is in bed with the Pharmaceutical companies and make things illegal that would possibly cure us .
Or Illegal to buy overseas.

The cancer rooms are jammed packed with thousands everyday waiting to get chemotherapy..

You know a lot about this Vigilante . How do you know this?
Usually it takes a person to get cancer to understand this, or work in the field.

Missing! I would say Stolen. ..And yes I agree with you on that...

The oncologists ( cancer doctors) are legally bound to only discuss or prescribe what is FDA approved. Well the FDA is in bed with the Pharmaceutical companies and make things illegal that would possibly cure us .
Or Illegal to buy overseas.

The cancer rooms are jammed packed with thousands everyday waiting to get chemotherapy..

You know a lot about this Vigilante . How do you know this?
Usually it takes a person to get cancer to understand this, or work in the field.

Eaglewings, that giraffe makes me smile large every time I see it!

Trans-poo-sion?...
confused.gif

Gut bacteria 'may help drugs fight cancer'
Mon, 07 Nov 2016 - Bacteria living deep inside the digestive system seems to alter how cancer drugs work, a study suggests.
Immunotherapies - which harness the body's own defences to fight tumours - can clear even terminal cancer in a small proportion of patients. However, a small study by the University of Texas found those harbouring a more diverse community of gut bugs are more likely to benefit. Cancer Research UK said understanding gut bugs had "great potential". The human body is home to trillions of micro-organisms - estimates suggest our own tissues are so heavily outnumbered that our bodies are just 10% human. And a growing wealth of studies shows these microbes can influence our immune systems and have been implicated in auto-immune diseases and allergies.

Higher levels

Immunotherapies are one of the most exciting breakthroughs in treating cancer. They work by taking the brakes off the immune system to help it to attack tumours more easily. The research group compared the gut bacteria in 23 patients who responded to the therapy and 11 who did not. Dr Jennifer Wargo, a melanoma surgeon and scientist, told the BBC News website: "We found a night-and-day difference in the diversity of bacteria species in the faecal samples." The study, presented at the National Cancer Research Institute's Cancer Conference in Liverpool, found Ruminococcus bacteria in much higher levels in those that responded to treatment. It suggests that it may be possible to boost the effectiveness of immunotherapy by altering the balance of bacteria in the gut.

'Scratch the surface'

Procedures such as a trans-poo-sion - a transplant of faecal matter containing beneficial bacteria - are already used as a treatment for some diseases. Dr Wargo added: "It is hugely plausible I think - we still need to dig a little deeper, but I think we're on to something. "I think it really does shape our body's immune response as a whole and to cancer." It is not yet clear if the differences in bacteria are the cause of the better response. People with diets containing more fruit and vegetables tend to have a richer set of gut bugs, so it is possible that it is those with a healthier lifestyle that respond better to therapy. "It might point to a healthy diet increasing your chances, which I think would be a great message," she added.

_92271421_c0305002-enterococcus_sem-spl.jpg

Gut bacteria​

Sir Harpal Kumar, chief executive of Cancer Research UK, said: "Our bodies are filled with trillions of bacteria, and we are just beginning to scratch the surface of understanding their great potential. "It's really interesting and exciting to see new evidence emerge on the close connection between the immune system and the bacteria living in our guts. As this, and several other studies, have shown, manipulating these bacteria could be exploited in future to help patients respond better to treatment."

Gut bacteria 'may help drugs fight cancer' - BBC News

What is cancer immunotherapy? | American Cancer Society

What is cancer immunotherapy?
Immunotherapy is treatment that uses certain parts of a person’s immune system to fight diseases such as cancer. This can be done in a couple of ways:

• Stimulating your own immune system to work harder or smarter to attack cancer cells
  • Giving you immune system components, such as man-made immune system proteins
Some types of immunotherapy are also sometimes called biologic therapy or biotherapy.

In the last few decades immunotherapy has become an important part of treating some types of cancer. Newer types of immune treatments are now being studied, and they’ll impact how we treat cancer in the future.

This is smart because I've always wondered why when someone gets cancer, which is normally suppressed by a healthy immune system, they immediately give them chemo and radiation. Both of which destroy the immune system. I wonder how much money the drug companies made off of the mandatory chemo treatments? Oncologists have become their salesmen & damn the results. I know of three people who were diagnosed with cancer that they must have had for a long time, but who died very shortly after starting chemo.

My own grandfather got cancer twice. First lung, had surgery, no chemo. Second colon, surgery but no chemo. He lived to be 83 years old and only died then because he started to starve himself so he could be with grandma who died a couple of years earlier.

He was a stubborn man. But a good man. I think he willed it away; that is to say his immune system followed the command of his mind and fought off any future cancer recurrences. I know another guy who has brain cancer from malignant melanoma on his scalp spreading inward. Had part of his skull and brain removed & one eye. Was told to get his affairs in order right away. 7 years later the guy is still out ranching; meaner than snake shit; diabolical even . But he made up his mind to not die; that's important. It's spread to his lymph node in his arm but he's still just out there every day, working and ornery.

Another first in the promising field of immunotherapy...
fingerscrossed.gif

Novel Type of Immunotherapy Helps Man Fight Brain Cancer
December 28, 2016 - A man with deadly brain cancer that had spread to his spine saw his tumors shrink and, for a time, vanish after a novel treatment to help his immune system attack his disease — another first in this promising field.
The type of immunotherapy that Richard Grady, 50, received already has helped some people with blood cancers such as leukemia. But the way he was given it is new, and may allow its use not just for brain tumors but also other cancers that can spread, such as breast and lung. Grady was the first person to get the treatment dripped through a tube into a space in the brain where spinal fluid is made, sending it down the path the cancer traveled to his spine.

4B0EE609-A032-4092-BB99-BC4E3B1C0CAE_cx0_cy6_cw0_w250_r1_s_r1.jpg

Killer T cells surround a cancer cell. (NIH)​

He had "a remarkable response" that opens the door to wider testing, said Dr. Behnam Badie, neurosurgery chief at City of Hope, a cancer center in Duarte, California, where Grady was treated. The case is reported in this week's New England Journal of Medicine. Each year in the United States, about 20,000 people are diagnosed with a type of brain tumor called glioblastoma. Grady, who lives in Seattle, had the usual surgery, radiation and chemotherapy, but the cancer came back.

T cells modified

He enrolled in a clinical trial at City of Hope and had some of his own blood cells, called T cells, removed and genetically modified in the lab to turn them into specialized soldiers to seek and destroy cancer. The treatment, called CAR-T cell therapy, has been used for blood cancers, but its value for solid tumors is unknown. City of Hope has been conducting tests in which the cells are injected directly into the brain. First, Grady had more surgery to remove three of his largest tumors. Then he got six weekly infusions of the cells through a tube into his brain, where the biggest one had been. No cancer recurred there, but the remaining tumors continued to grow, new ones appeared, and cancer spread to his spine.

DCFABE15-8596-4827-AC76-C5115C3F747D_w250_r0_s.jpg

The logo of City of Hope, a cancer center in Duarte, Calif.​

Doctors decided on a bold step: placing a second tube in his brain, into a cavity where spinal fluid is made, and putting the cells there. "The idea was to have the flow of the spinal fluid carry the T cells to different locations,'' along the route the cancer had taken, Badie said. After three treatments, all tumors had shrunk dramatically. After the 10th treatment, "we saw all the tumors disappear," and Grady was able to cut back on other medicines and return to work, Badie said.

More treatment

New Biomarker to Guide Cancer Immunotherapy...
thumbsup.gif

Scientists Find New Biomarker to Guide Cancer Immunotherapy
June 20, 2017 — Scientists said on Monday they had pinpointed a particular type of immune system cell that could predict more precisely if cancer patients are likely to respond to modern immunotherapy medicines.
The discovery, reported in the journal Nature Immunology, suggests doctors and drug developers will need to get smarter in zeroing in on those people who stand to benefit from the expensive new drugs, which are revolutionizing cancer care. Drugs such as Merck's Keytruda, Bristol-Myers Squibb's Opdivo, Roche's Tecentriq and AstraZeneca's Imfinzi can boost the immune system's ability to fight tumors, but they only work for some patients.

The current widely used benchmark when giving cancer immunotherapy is a protein called PDL-1. However, many experts view PDL-1 as a "blunt instrument", since it does not match precisely to drug response, leading to the consideration of other measures, such as the level of mutation in tumors. The latest research adds a further twist by highlighting therole of so-called tissue-resident memory T-cells.

2919C750-7919-4933-857D-50CFC8359610_w1023_r1_s.jpg

A lymphoma patient receives cellular immunotherapy as part of a study at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, Washington.​

Researchers from the University of Southampton and La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology found that lung cancer patients with lots of this cell type in their tumors were 34 percent less likely to die than others. "Having made the first baby steps with PDL-1 testing, we need to be smarter by using new tests," said Christian Ottensmeier, a Cancer Research UK scientist who worked on the study. "PDL-1 testing is a little bit like saying 'you've got a Ferrari because it is red.' Many Ferraris are red and many tumors that are PDL-1 positive will respond to immunotherapy, but on its own that is not sufficient."

Ottensmeier and colleagues now plan further clinical trials to see how well their biological predictor can pick out patients who will benefit from taking Opdivo. Industry analysts expect the new generation of cancer immunotherapy drugs to generate tens of billions of dollars in annual sales by early next decade, with lung cancer the biggest single market.

Scientists Find New Biomarker to Guide Cancer Immunotherapy

See also:

Living Drugs New Frontier for Cancer Patients Out of Options
June 12, 2017 — Ken Shefveland's body was swollen with cancer, treatment after treatment failing until doctors gambled on a radical approach: They removed some of his immune cells, engineered them into cancer assassins and unleashed them into his bloodstream. Immune therapy is the hottest trend in cancer care and this is its next frontier - creating “living drugs” that grow inside the body into an army that seeks and destroys tumors.
Looking in the mirror, Shefveland saw “the cancer was just melting away.” A month later doctors at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center couldn't find any signs of lymphoma in the Vancouver, Washington, man's body. “Today I find out I'm in full remission - how wonderful is that?” said Shefveland with a wide grin, giving his physician a quick embrace. This experimental therapy marks an entirely new way to treat cancer - if scientists can make it work, safely. Early-stage studies are stirring hope as one-time infusions of supercharged immune cells help a remarkable number of patients with intractable leukemia or lymphoma. “It shows the unbelievable power of your immune system,” said Dr. David Maloney, Fred Hutch's medical director for cellular immunotherapy who treated Shefveland with a type called CAR-T cells. “We're talking, really, patients who have no other options, and we're seeing tumors and leukemias disappear over weeks,” added immunotherapy scientific director Dr. Stanley Riddell. But, “there's still lots to learn.”

C4B95ED6-98A7-4CBF-B2FD-0BD5A2F49852_cx0_cy3_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

A photo shows the cell processing facility at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center where workers create customized cellular immunotherapies for patients, in Seattle, Washington​

T cells are key immune system soldiers. But cancer can be hard for them to spot, and can put the brakes on an immune attack. Today's popular immunotherapy drugs called “checkpoint inhibitors” release one brake so nearby T cells can strike. The new cellular immunotherapy approach aims to be more potent: Give patients stronger T cells to begin with. Currently available only in studies at major cancer centers, the first CAR-T cell therapies for a few blood cancers could hit the market later this year. The Food and Drug Administration is evaluating one version developed by the University of Pennsylvania and licensed to Novartis, and another created by the National Cancer Institute and licensed to Kite Pharma. CAR-T therapy “feels very much like it's ready for prime time” for advanced blood cancers, said Dr. Nick Haining of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, who isn't involved in the development.

‘There's a desperate need’

Now scientists are tackling a tougher next step, what Haining calls “the acid test:” Making T cells target far more common cancers - solid tumors like lung, breast or brain cancer. Cancer kills about 600,000 Americans a year, including nearly 45,000 from leukemia and lymphoma. “There's a desperate need,” said NCI immunotherapy pioneer Dr. Steven Rosenberg, pointing to queries from hundreds of patients for studies that accept only a few. For all the excitement, there are formidable challenges. Scientists still are unraveling why these living cancer drugs work for some people and not others. Doctors must learn to manage potentially life-threatening side effects from an overstimulated immune system. Also concerning is a small number of deaths from brain swelling, an unexplained complication that forced another company, Juno Therapeutics, to halt development of one CAR-T in its pipeline; Kite recently reported a death, too. And, made from scratch for every patient using their own blood, this is one of the most customized therapies ever and could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

MORE

Last edited:

Forum List

Back