Sea level canal through Oman?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
It seems that transiting the Strait of Hormuz will continue to be risky for international shipping, at least as long as the current regime in Iran stays in power. What would be the cost and technical difficulty of digging a sea level canal through the Oman peninsula? The obvious benefit would be that it would create a shipping lane farther away from Iran and more defensible against Iranian disruption, especially if a permanent military installation was located nearby.

What do you think of this idea?

It seems that transiting the Strait of Hormuz will continue to be risky for international shipping, at least as long as the current regime in Iran stays in power. What would be the cost and technical difficulty of digging a sea level canal through the Oman peninsula? The obvious benefit would be that it would create a shipping lane farther away from Iran and more defensible against Iranian disruption, especially if a permanent military installation was located nearby.

Sounds more expensive than a navy guided missile cruiser.

Sounds more expensive than a navy guided missile cruiser.

How about a carrier task force? Besides, wouldn't an internationally financed canal be less likely to have accidental hostilities (unless we want them)?

Don't need it-Europe does. We have our own oil thanks to Trump. This makes Europe and China put pressure on Iran.

What would be the cost and technical difficulty of digging a sea level canal through the Oman peninsula?

The Strait is only 21 nautical miles wide at its narrowest point.
At best you'd only gain 40 or so nautical miles and you'd have a smaller choke point with a canal then you would with the Strait.
Certainly not worth the expense for a dubious advantage.

What Oman peninsula? Bea lot quicker to nuke nuke nuke Iran

It would also have to pass through the UAE.
You'd also only be gaining 40 extra nautical miles distance from Iran while having the expense of cutting a fifty mile long channel.

Reminds me of my used to be favorite BBQ place in Katy Tx.,unfortunately they closed recently.

Dustup! Texas Barbecue Owner John Nonmacher Tells Racist Poster Protestors "Go Back To Iran" | Scrumptious Chef

BBQ joint with 'Iranian' poster draws fans and foes

At best you'd only gain 40 or so nautical miles and you'd have a smaller choke point with a canal then you would with the Strait.

I was just thinking of how to deal with Iran. The Strait seems to be a hotbed of conflict, and sinking Iranian naval ships may lead to unintended consequences. A canal would clearly be outside of any territorial claim by Iran, and an Iranian attack on it would clearly be an act of war. Besides, the UAE and their customers would have to pay for it.

Last edited:

I was just thinking of how to deal with Iran. The Strait seems to be a hotbed of conflict, and sinking Iranian naval ships may lead to unintended consequences. A canal would clearly be outside of any territorial claim by Iran, and an Iranian attacked on it would clearly be an act of war (e.g., Pearl Harbor).

I dont think Iran gives a shit about territorial waters considering they shot down our drone over international waters.
And the fact they just tried to impede the progress of a UK tanker in international waters.
Adding another 40 miles distance from Iran isnt going to do much in my opinion.
Add the fact that Iran could easily mine the canal entrance and exit and I dont see the value,especially when a carrier group can easily defend a 21 mile wide gap.

I don't like the idea of carrier groups in restrictive waters, nor do I like the law of unintended consequences. As for what constitutes "international waters," go ask the Chinese about the South China Sea.

I expect armed conflict with Iran, and I would like it to be based on its unequivocal attack on a sovereign nation (e.g., Iraq attacking Kuwait). Mining the canal would constitute such an attack. In that event, we would be justified in taking whatever measures necessary to destroy Iran's offensive capabilities.

I don't like the idea of carrier groups in restrictive waters, nor do I like the law of unintended consequences. As for what constitutes "international waters," go ask the Chinese about the South China Sea.

I expect armed conflict with Iran, and I would like it to be based on its unequivocal attack on a sovereign nation (e.g., Iraq attacking Kuwait). Mining the canal would constitute such an attack. In that event, we would be justified in taking whatever measures necessary to destroy Iran's offensive capabilities.

What makes you think the carrier is in "restrictive waters"? Carriers rarely enter the Persian Gulf for that very reason. They stay in the Gulf of Oman or even further south. Airplanes fly, you do realize?

Bad idea. Such a colossal undertaking only makes sense when there is no other path. You are talking about building a canal when a natural path is just a stone's throw away. Thats nuts, trillions of dollars worth of nuts.

Plus, what if Oman turns into an Iran in 20 years? That would be fucked up wouldn't it.

The answer is to overthrow Iran.

They've already mined the strait in the past.
Iran is on a path to a war that they'll regret.

Forum List

Back