Scott Adams of Dilbert Fame has very bad news regarding Trump. I am afraid he may be right

browsing deer

Silver Member
Jul 11, 2015
in the forrest
A very dismal and heartbreaking think piece by Scott Adams.

"

Adams, mind you, is not endorsing Trump or supporting his politics. ("I don't think my political views align with anybody," he tells The Washington Post, "not even another human being.") And he is not saying that Trump would be the best president. What the Bay Area-based cartoonist recognizes, he says, is the careful art behind Trump's rhetorical techniques. And The Donald, he says, is playing his competitors like a fiddle -- before beating them like a drum. Most simply put: Adams believes Trump will win because he's "a master persuader."

The Manhattan mogul is so deft at the powers of persuasion, Adams believes, that the candidate could have run as a Democrat and, by picking different hot-button issues, still won this presidency. In other words: Trump is such a master linguistic strategist that he could have turned the political chessboard around and still embarrassed the field.

Adams does not claim to be a trained political analyst. His stated credentials in this arena, says Adams -- who holds an MBA from UC Berkeley -- largely involve being a certified hypnotist and, as a writer and business author, an eternal student in the techniques of persuasive rhetoric. (His self-help memoir is titled "How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life.")

"The most important thing when you study hypnosis is that you learn that humans are irrational," Adams says. "Until you understand that, hypnosis is hard to do. ... For me, it was this great awakening to understand that humans are deeply irrational, and it's probably the greatest influence on me in terms of my writing."

"This was a trick I learned from Bil Keane," the late creator of "Family Circus," Adams says. "He basically taught me to stop writing for myself, which I realized I had been doing -- writing a comic that I wanted to read."

So Adams pivoted to write more about the workplace, and the budding "Dilbert" in the early '90s became "about this huge part of people's lives that was invisible to the rest of the world and about suffering in a hundred different ways."

"By simply mentioning that world," Adams says, the comic connected with readers "on an emotional level."

And isn't that essentially, in turn, what Trump is doing? He is acknowledging the suffering of some, Adams says, and then appealing emotionally to that.

And he bolsters that approach, Adams says, by "exploiting the business model" like an entrepreneur. In this model, which "the news industry doesn't have the ability to change ... the media doesn't really have the option of ignoring the most interesting story," says Adams, contending that Trump "can always be the most interesting story if he has nothing to fear and nothing to lose."

Having nothing to lose essentially then increases his chance of winning, because it opens up his field of rhetorical play. "Psychology is the only necessary skill for running for president," writes Adams, adding: "Trump knows psychology."

Read more at Michael Cavna - Donald Trump will win in a landslide, says 'Dilbert' creator Scott Adams

"

No, Trump could not have succeeded with Democrats. The bigotry and calls for violence are deal-breakers that would have resulted in Democrats dumping Trump hard, instantly. The two sides are very different in that way.

I really enjoy Adam's work, but I have read a couple of his books, which includes some serious tidbits, like, "Write down what you really want, at least 15 times in 15 days, up to 6 months, if necessary. No matter how remote that goal is, and how little control you have over obtaining it, and that goal will be attracted to you like a piece of metal to a magnet" Although he is not promoting religion, he is preaching a secular version of prosperity religion. I'm surprised that he didn't mention that you need to donate "seed offerings" for these blessing to come true.

To put it another way, he is a very talented nut case.

The Manhattan mogul is so deft at the powers of persuasion, Adams believes, that the candidate could have run as a Democrat and, by picking different hot-button issues, still won this presidency. In other words: Trump is such a master linguistic strategist that he could have turned the political chessboard around and still embarrassed the field.
I've said this same thing about Trump many times.

I really enjoy Adam's work, but I have read a couple of his books, which includes some serious tidbits, like, "Write down what you really want, at least 15 times in 15 days, up to 6 months, if necessary. No matter how remote that goal is, and how little control you have over obtaining it, and that goal will be attracted to you like a piece of metal to a magnet" Although he is not promoting religion, he is preaching a secular version of prosperity religion.
That sounds like the Law of Attraction movement popular with rubes who read The Secret.

No, Trump could not have succeeded with Democrats. The bigotry and calls for violence are deal-breakers that would have resulted in Democrats dumping Trump hard, instantly. The two sides are very different in that way.
Your mistake is in assuming Trump would have run on the same platform. You have failed to see he is a huckster who plays to the rubes and tells them what they want to hear. He's a chameleon. If you pay attention, you can see him change his colors literally in seconds.

If Trump had run as a Democrat, which he should have, he would not be slamming Mexicans and Muslims. He would be slamming Wall Street greed. He would be calling for higher taxes and free college education. He would be calling for an assault weapons ban. He would be demanding universal health care.

I really enjoy Adam's work, but I have read a couple of his books, which includes some serious tidbits, like, "Write down what you really want, at least 15 times in 15 days, up to 6 months, if necessary. No matter how remote that goal is, and how little control you have over obtaining it, and that goal will be attracted to you like a piece of metal to a magnet" Although he is not promoting religion, he is preaching a secular version of prosperity religion.
That sounds like the Law of Attraction movement popular with rubes who read The Secret.

I'm not familiar with the concept, but, that sounds like it. In reading his book, which is funny for the first two thirds, he gets serious in the final third. Frankly, it seemed to me that he was losing his marbles.

There is nothing bigoted about Trumps policies. That is you being to dumb to argue against them based on their merits or lack there of.

Violence? LOL! Consider that laughed and dismissed.

There is nothing bigoted about Trumps policies. That is you being to dumb to argue against them based on their merits or lack there of.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Your mistake is in assuming Trump would have run on the same platform. You have failed to see he is a huckster who plays to the rubes and tells them what they want to hear. He's a chameleon. If you pay attention, you can see him change his colors literally in seconds.

If Trump had run as a Democrat, which he should have, he would not be slamming Mexicans and Muslims. He would be slamming Wall Street greed. He would be calling for higher taxes and free college education. He would be calling for an assault weapons ban. He would be demanding universal health care.

His prime issues of Immigration and Trade would sell just as well in the Democratic Party.

He is not "slamming Mexicans and Muslims". He is addressing real concerns that would work just as well in the other party.

Hell, Sanders is making plenty of hay with a trade stance similar to Trumps.

The biggest problem would be the fact the Dem Machine is stronger than the GOP one.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

There is nothing bigoted about wanting to enforce immigration law.

That you think there is, shows that you are a fool, not that Trump is a bigot.

What Trump has going for him is that he has nothing to do with Washington, D. C.

Sane Americans would just as soon have a lottery and draw Social Security Numbers and fill up Congress with the winners...and put the current bastards in jail.

Trump has done some pursuading...and God Bless him for blowing up the Political Correctness Nazis...but Sane American were already pursuaded that the current Rascals and Numbskulls need to go.

He will eat Bill Clinton's bogus wife up. And I refer to her that way because her husband is the ONLY reason she is in the conversation for the Presidency. He got her every job she's ever had...starting with that law firm in Arkansas...and she' fucked every one of them up.

Forum List

Back