Scientology - A Quiet Birth And No Nurturing Of Young Children

no1tovote4 said:
To tell you the truth I have never even been asked to donate to the Temple at all for any reason. They'll have drives to gather money for victims of hurricanes etc but I have never heard them ask for a donation directly to the Temple. We do donate, but have never been asked.

You'll probably laugh, but have been doing some 'soul searching' about which church is right for me, it will probably end up being Catholic, after all these years. Two I'm most drawn to are the Episcopal and Buddhism. Go figure. :eek:

Kathianne said:
You'll probably laugh, but have been doing some 'soul searching' about which church is right for me, it will probably end up being Catholic, after all these years. Two I'm most drawn to are the Episcopal and Buddhism. Go figure. :eek:
BTW, I know Buddhism isn't a 'church', or even a 'religion' in the strict sense. :)

Kathianne said:

If you are drawn to the Episcopalian Church why not go to one? Is it a distance thing?

no1tovote4 said:
If you are drawn to the Episcopalian Church why not go to one? Is it a distance thing?

I've been thinking about. Have gone to some services, hard to tell the difference, except they are more 'old church.' Now there aren't women priests at this one, which would probably seem real weird to me.

Kathianne said:
I've been thinking about. Have gone to some services, hard to tell the difference, except they are more 'old church.' Now there aren't women priests at this one, which would probably seem real weird to me.

Have you checked out Lutheren Churches. I was surprised by the amount of similarities between those and the Catholic Churches I had been to when my mother brought me to one.

no1tovote4 said:
Have you checked out Lutheren Churches. I was surprised by the amount of similarities between those and the Catholic Churches I had been to when my mother brought me to one.
Lutherans seem a bit austere to me. Too Protestant for me, it's me. Nothing wrong with Protestants. :ducking:

Kathianne said:
Lutherans seem a bit austere to me. Too Protestant for me, it's me. Nothing wrong with Protestants. :ducking:

lol. No need to fear me, I be a Buddhist. And obviously not a perfect one. Ridiculing another religion shouldn't be an SOP for me.

no1tovote4 said:
lol. No need to fear me, I be a Buddhist. And obviously not a perfect one. Ridiculing another religion shouldn't be an SOP for me.

I like the idea of 'ending suffering', yet I believe in Christ. How about a Buddhist sect that is also Christian-:laugh:

Kathianne said:
I like the idea of 'ending suffering', yet I believe in Christ. How about a Buddhist sect that is also Christian-:laugh:

There are many who claim to be Judeo-Christian Buddhists....

I don't know guys. I'm Agnostic, but was born Catholic though was never baptised. It's hard for me to chose a religion because I see it as being hipocracy.

I'm not saying religion is bad at all, but I think the main reason for it is to be peoples guide through life, their "help". I don't need it as I see it, which is ok with me.

The hipocracy thing comes in when people are so into their religion that they say that it's so right and that what they believe in is what everyone should believe in and this is the majority of believers. My question is, if Catholics think their religion is the right one and Buddhists think their religions the right one and Hindus think their religions the right one and so on then who the hell are we to say that our religion is the right one? Honestly I have no idea who is right and I can't argue for any as I don't know shit about their true, in depth history (I do know the basics and some advanced stuff thought). For all we know we should be worshipping a fucking cow right now! :hail:

USMCDevilDog said:
I don't know guys. I'm Agnostic, but was born Catholic though was never baptised. It's hard for me to chose a religion because I see it as being hipocracy.

I'm not saying religion is bad at all, but I think the main reason for it is to be peoples guide through life, their "help". I don't need it as I see it, which is ok with me.

The hipocracy thing comes in when people are so into their religion that they say that it's so right and that what they believe in is what everyone should believe in and this is the majority of believers. My question is, if Catholics think their religion is the right one and Buddhists think their religions the right one and Hindus think their religions the right one and so on then who the hell are we to say that our religion is the right one? Honestly I have no idea who is right and I can't argue for any as I don't know shit about their true, in depth history (I do know the basics and some advanced stuff thought). For all we know we should be worshipping a fucking cow right now! :hail:

No one is 'born' anything, other than a child of God-as far as my understanding of Christianity goes. If you are not baptised Catholic, you are not Catholic-no harm done.

Again, I'm no theology major, though I've had a bit. As far as 'Catholics' go, we do not believe we have a 'corner' on salvation in the sense that there are teachings of Catholic or damnation. The damnation part comes from not accepting Jesus, with the caveat that one is exposed to His teachings.

Now I'm Catholic, whole 9 yards, yet there is something about Buddhism that has made me want some of the serenity that I've seen in others that practice that philosophy. Yet, I do believe in Christ. Now there is a dilemma, much greater than yours. :laugh:

Kathianne said:
No one is 'born' anything, other than a child of God-as far as my understanding of Christianity goes. If you are not baptised Catholic, you are not Catholic-no harm done.

Again, I'm no theology major, though I've had a bit. As far as 'Catholics' go, we do not believe we have a 'corner' on salvation in the sense that there are teachings of Catholic or damnation. The damnation part comes from not accepting Jesus, with the caveat that one is exposed to His teachings.

Now I'm Catholic, whole 9 yards, yet there is something about Buddhism that has made me want some of the serenity that I've seen in others that practice that philosophy. Yet, I do believe in Christ. Now there is a dilemma, much greater than yours. :laugh:

LoL, yeah, I understand. Buddhism has always caught my eye. I really don't see it as being a "religion" but more of a way of life. Just the whole thing is summed up in the words "stress-free" and god damn I'd love that! It'd be a great "religion" to follow, but a difficult one at the same time, probably one of the hardest.
As far as believing in Christ and practicing Buddhism, I really believe in the "you do whatever gets you off" way of life (no offense, just a phrase). I think if that's what YOU want to do, do it, just because some high priests say it's not right doesn't mean that's true, how would they know in the first place?

Like I said, if I were you, I'd do it, or atleast some form of Buddhism while still being Catholic. There's hundreds of Catholics that probably have no idea they practice Buddhism when they sit in their rooms and meditate ya know?

USMCDevilDog said:
LoL, yeah, I understand. Buddhism has always caught my eye. I really don't see it as being a "religion" but more of a way of life. Just the whole thing is summed up in the words "stress-free" and god damn I'd love that! It'd be a great "religion" to follow, but a difficult one at the same time, probably one of the hardest.
As far as believing in Christ and practicing Buddhism, I really believe in the "you do whatever gets you off" way of life (no offense, just a phrase). I think if that's what YOU want to do, do it, just because some high priests say it's not right doesn't mean that's true, how would they know in the first place?

Like I said, if I were you, I'd do it, or atleast some form of Buddhism while still being Catholic. There's hundreds of Catholics that probably have no idea they practice Buddhism when they sit in their rooms and meditate ya know?

:thup: I feel like the Church is leaving me, not the other way around. That was also why I am considering Episcopal Services. (Yeah I know, mixed up a bit.)

no1tovote4 said:
I'll even repeat it. I shouldn't have ridiculed them, you are right.

I agree with you about the Scientologists. I wasn't trying to argue with you or put you on the spot, or prove I was "right". I just wanted to see where the dividing line is regarding religious tolerance. It's really hard to figuratively keep a straight face when confronted with so many religious ideas or contradictions. I generally don't refrain from ridiculing the silly stuff, so it was character building when you forced me to face my prejudice in light of Buddhism. I guess you could just look at it as a matter of being polite. It's impolite to ridicule other peoples beliefs. You are also correct that sometimes in the interest of justice we like to point out exploitation in the name of religion. I guess if there's absolute religious tolerance you play into the hands of the abusers by in effect looking the other way. So it's a quandary.

Nuc said:
I agree with you about the Scientologists. I wasn't trying to argue with you or put you on the spot, or prove I was "right". I just wanted to see where the dividing line is regarding religious tolerance. It's really hard to figuratively keep a straight face when confronted with so many religious ideas or contradictions. I generally don't refrain from ridiculing the silly stuff, so it was character building when you forced me to face my prejudice in light of Buddhism. I guess you could just look at it as a matter of being polite. It's impolite to ridicule other peoples beliefs. You are also correct that sometimes in the interest of justice we like to point out exploitation in the name of religion. I guess if there's absolute religious tolerance you play into the hands of the abusers by in effect looking the other way. So it's a quandary.

It was unnecessary to my point to ridicule them, and against my own principals. Nobody likes to have it pointed out to them, but how else can they correct it?

It doesn't change my opinion of Scientology as a whole, but ridicule isn't the answer.

I honestly don't believe that Scientology is a religion at all, but it is a center of belief for many people and shouldn't be ridiculed. Pointing out abuse and victimization isn't against my belief system, I will continue to do that without the ridicule.

I try to be as tolerant as the next guy but I have a problem with some "groups" calling themselve religions.

Using Scientology as an example -

In the OT levels, Hubbard describes a variety of traumas commonly experienced in past lives. He explains how to reverse the effects of such traumas by "running" various Scientology processes. Among these advanced teachings, one episode that is revealed to those who reach OT level III has been widely remarked upon in the press: the story of Xenu, the galactic tyrant who first kidnapped certain individuals who were deemed as 'excess population' and loaded these individuals into space planes for transport to the site of extermination, the planet of Teegeeack (Earth). These space planes were supposedly exact copies of Douglas DC-8s. He then stacked hundreds of billions of these frozen victims around Earth's volcanoes 75 million years ago before blowing them up with hydrogen bombs and brainwashing them with a "three-D, super colossal motion picture" for 36 days. The traumatised thetans subsequently clustered around human bodies, in effect acting as invisible spiritual parasites known as "Body Thetans" that can only be removed using advanced Scientology techniques. Xenu is allegedly imprisoned in a mountain and kept in by a force-field powered by an eternal battery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

----

Yeah......Xenu is imprisoned in a mountain kept in a force-field powered by an eternal battery. Riiiiiiiiiiight. Pass the Koolaid.

GotZoom said:
I try to be as tolerant as the next guy but I have a problem with some "groups" calling themselve religions.

Using Scientology as an example -

In the OT levels, Hubbard describes a variety of traumas commonly experienced in past lives. He explains how to reverse the effects of such traumas by "running" various Scientology processes. Among these advanced teachings, one episode that is revealed to those who reach OT level III has been widely remarked upon in the press: the story of Xenu, the galactic tyrant who first kidnapped certain individuals who were deemed as 'excess population' and loaded these individuals into space planes for transport to the site of extermination, the planet of Teegeeack (Earth). These space planes were supposedly exact copies of Douglas DC-8s. He then stacked hundreds of billions of these frozen victims around Earth's volcanoes 75 million years ago before blowing them up with hydrogen bombs and brainwashing them with a "three-D, super colossal motion picture" for 36 days. The traumatised thetans subsequently clustered around human bodies, in effect acting as invisible spiritual parasites known as "Body Thetans" that can only be removed using advanced Scientology techniques. Xenu is allegedly imprisoned in a mountain and kept in by a force-field powered by an eternal battery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

----

Yeah......Xenu is imprisoned in a mountain kept in a force-field powered by an eternal battery. Riiiiiiiiiiight. Pass the Koolaid.

Truly bizarre, but all religions have equally bizarre mythology, we are just immune to it because of thousands of years of repitition. If people keep repeating this stuff for three thousand years it might be considered normal by then, just as some incredible ideas are acceptable today.

Forum List

Back