Science Funding?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Urbanguerrilla, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Urbanguerrilla

Urbanguerrilla Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +149
    The Chase study of the impact of the Apollo program found that for every dollar spent on the apollo program, 14 dollars came back into the US economy, yet only 6% of GDP is spent on science programs: why such a tiny investment into something which has proven to be extremely profitable?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt7Cge7RDHI&feature=related[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Part of the problem is economists are technological morons. How much of that gain came from electronics?

The space program and the electronics industry were in a synergistic state in 1960. Integrated Circuits had just been invented and were sitting on shelves unpurchased because they were too expensive. But NASA had to have a computer small enough, light enough and rugged enough to land a spacecraft on the Moon. So the space program plus military weapons systems were an economic and technological marriage made in outer space.

But there is no guarantee of such synergy from further space ventures. Some people BELIEVE and it may be possible. But what other applications are there for the heat resistant hexagons on the bottom of the space shuttle? I think it would make sense to put a robot base on the Moon to do prospecting and mining and storing water. I would pat $50 to operate a robot on the Moon for 30 minutes. Where is the copper and iron and aluminum on the Moon? How do we develop efficient smelting processes for work in a vacuum? Etc., etc.

psik

3. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,318
    All too many people have the need to see immediate results from scientific research. They have never studied the history of science, and seem to think that the progress is from sudden breakthroughs, and never see all the small steps and tedious research into the important details that make the breakthroughs possible.

And we Americans seem to have a culteral disdain for the intensive work and study that is required to become scientifically trained. And distrust those who make the effort as elitists, rather than the hard working people that make our standard of living possible. All you have to do to see this is compare the salaries of major league scientists, and major league ballplayers. Which benefits our nation the most?

4. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,976
    Because only 6% of scientists are Republican. Of course they don't support investment in science. Even most of their leadership believes science is a "faith".

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    As a nation we have become too shortsighted to invest much in science. The investment must show a profit in a few quarters or it is a bad investment.

That is one big reason that govt has to invest in some things.

6. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,976
    Don't confuse the right with the left. The right wing has never really supported education or science. They see it as a "waste". They believe their own rhetoric that most inventions come from "kids in their garage".

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    both sides are pretty much corporate controlled now. Not like it was 3 decades ago.
    I am not saying the voters, but the ones that we elect.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    I've always held that our efforts should be made exploring space and not making war on people that live in mud huts.

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Ohh I agree, but we are still too much of a paranoid barbaric species for that to happen.
    Plus there is a lot of proift to be made from paranoia and barbarism.

10. Ragnar

Ragnar <--- Pic is not me

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Obama budget proposal scraps NASA's back-to-the-moon program