Schumer thinks the courts MAKE LAW

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Chuck Schumer (D-NY) made a statement yesterday that confirmed that liberals believe the Supreme Court is the place to "MAKE LAW".

"Now that he is nominated for a position where he can overturn precedent and make law, it is even more important that he fully answers a very broad range of questions," Schumer said. "I hope for the sake of the country that Judge Roberts understands this and answers questions openly, honestly and thoroughly."

Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Ted Kennedy (D-MA), and Dick Durbin (D-IL) were three liberals on the Judiciary Committee who voted against Roberts.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20050719-1814-scotus-roberts-prospects.html

ScreamingEagle said:
Chuck Schumer (D-NY) made a statement yesterday that confirmed that liberals believe the Supreme Court is the place to "MAKE LAW".

"Now that he is nominated for a position where he can overturn precedent and make law, it is even more important that he fully answers a very broad range of questions," Schumer said. "I hope for the sake of the country that Judge Roberts understands this and answers questions openly, honestly and thoroughly."

Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Ted Kennedy (D-MA), and Dick Durbin (D-IL) were three liberals on the Judiciary Committee who voted against Roberts.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20050719-1814-scotus-roberts-prospects.html

That is a really stupid thing for him to say! That making law comment, I guess politicians forget how gov't works sometimes. But he is right, we do need to look at Roberts and ask him some important questions.

bock2911 said:
That is a really stupid thing for him to say! That making law comment, I guess politicians forget how gov't works sometimes. But he is right, we do need to look at Roberts and ask him some important questions.
Because? Roberts will make laws?

No, not b/c he will make laws, but b/c the courts rule on, for example, constitutionality of laws. That does affect laws quite a bit.

bock2911 said:
No, not b/c he will make laws, but b/c the courts rule on, for example, constitutionality of laws. That does affect laws quite a bit.
Actually as long as they have a good grasp on their position and nothing in their personal background precludes, I think the President's choice, whether I agree with it or not, should be greened.

Senate is to 'make sure they are legit and do have a grasp', not just a 'reward' for supporting a pres. like so many ambassodors.

ScreamingEagle said:

I agree with Schumer half way. The Supreme Court isn't "supposed" to be the place to make laws, but it is the Supreme Court that "does" make laws. They will take a simple sentence that a first grader can understand and twist and turn it around to what they want the sentence to say and change the meaning where it doesn't even resemble what it says. The Supreme Court is one of the biggest enemies the USA has. I hope if he is confirmed, he will have more sense than the rest of them.

Merlin said:
I agree with Schumer half way. The Supreme Court isn't "supposed" to be the place to make laws, but it is the Supreme Court that "does" make laws. They will take a simple sentence that a first grader can understand and twist and turn it around to what they want the sentence to say and change the meaning where it doesn't even resemble what it says. The Supreme Court is one of the biggest enemies the USA has. I hope if he is confirmed, he will have more sense than the rest of them.

and it should be stopped and reversed.

Merlin said:

You said it. :thup:

Don't you love it when they inadvertently give themselves away like that?

The Court has always made law. Common Law. Without Common law the judicial system could not function.

With that said, it's about time we stopped them from legislating from the bench. There is a major difference between common law (made when there is no legislative or constitutional law enacted) and legislating laws, reading "rights" into the Constitution that don't exist, and outright ignoring what the Constituion and legislatures have said on the matter. Its time we had the courts no longer legislating from the bench and overturned several of the real bad decisions like Roe V Wade and the recent property decision that attacks the fundamentals of a free society. Let's get back to having the power in the hands of the people.

bock2911 said:

i agree and he should give the same answers gingsberg gave schumer

.... Its time we had the courts no longer legislating from the bench and overturned several of the real bad decisions like Roe V Wade and the recent property decision that attacks the fundamentals of a free society. Let's get back to having the power in the hands of the people.

How does taking rights away from people to decide if they want an abortion or not giving power back to the people?

bock2911 said:
How does taking rights away from people to decide if they want an abortion or not giving power back to the people?
It would put it back in the hands of the states... where it belongs. This should never have become a federal issue. If one lives in a state that doesn't allow abortion and they want to live in a state that does... guess what?? They can MOVE!

Forum List

Back