'Saudis give Israel green light to attack Iran'

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
Saudi Arabia has indicated to Israel that it would not protest use of its airspace by Israeli fighter jets in the event the government resolves to launch a military assault against Iran, according to a report which appeared in the British Sunday Times.

According to The Sunday Times, Mossad chief Meir Dagan held secret meetings with Saudi officials who gave their tacit approval to Israel's use of the kingdom's airspace.

"The Saudis have tacitly agreed to the Israeli air force flying through their airspace on a mission which is supposed to be in the common interests of both Israel and Saudi Arabia," The Sunday Times quoted a diplomatic source as saying last week.

The report also quoted John Bolton, the former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, as saying that it would be "entirely logical" for Israeli warplanes to fly over Saudi Arabia en route to bombing nuclear targets in Iran.

Though any Israeli attack would be roundly condemned by Mideast leaders at the UN, Bolton said Arab leaders have privately expressed trepidation at the prospect of a nuclear-armed Iran.

"None of them would say anything about it publicly but they would certainly acquiesce in an overflight if the Israelis didn't trumpet it as a big success," Bolton told The Sunday Times

'Saudis give Israel green light to attack Iran' - Haaretz - Israel News

Iran is going to make a bomb unless someone stops them. This development is significant.

Iran's leadership is backward, but not insane enough to seriously threaten Israel with nuclear weapons. Doing so would mean destroying Palestinian lives as well.

Any Israeli attempt to meddle in Iran's energy affairs is, at this point, unjustifiable. Saudi complicity in any threat to Iran's sovereignty at this point would be unjustifiable as well.

Iran's leadership is backward, but not insane enough to seriously threaten Israel with nuclear weapons. Doing so would mean destroying Palestinian lives as well.

Any Israeli attempt to meddle in Iran's energy affairs is, at this point, unjustifiable. Saudi complicity in any threat to Iran's sovereignty at this point would be unjustifiable as well.

I don't think the issue is whether Iran's leadership is backward or insane. The issue is, do they believe in the philosophy of salvation through martyrdom they have been preaching to the people? Iran's support of Hamas has been destroying Palestinian lives for years, and they seem perfectly comfortable with that outcome and that is perfectly consistent with their advocacy of martrydom.

The fact that Iran has been stonewalling the IAEA for so long can only mean that either Iran is developing nuclear weapons or that Iran wants the world to believe it is developing nuclear weapons. ElBaradei has already said that despite the fact there is no hard evidence Iran is trying to make nuclear weapons, it is his gut feeling they are. Considering the leadership's strong beliefs about martyrdom, its passionate convictions about the need to destroy Israel and the likelihood they are trying to develop nuclear weapons, it would be irresponsible, even insane, of the Israeli government to just wait and see what happens. Given the facts that years of negotiations with the Europeans have produced no results and that now Obama is opposed to further sanctions, it is hard to imagine how Israel can protect itself against the potential nuclear threat from Iran other than by bombing Iran's nuclear program.

Toomuchtime, you'd have to be real dense to think that Khomeini or Ahemdinejad are seriously considering incinerating themselves, their wives, their children, and all their buddies to 'wipe Israel off the map and take over the world'.

This isn't a James Bond flick. Get serious.

Gee, I wonder what economic motivation might explain this decision (assuming this report is not complete nonsense, of course)

Toomuchtime, you'd have to be real dense to think that Khomeini or Ahemdinejad are seriously considering incinerating themselves, their wives, their children, and all their buddies to 'wipe Israel off the map and take over the world'.

It's just plain silly to think that you or I have any real insight into these people beyond what they claim to believe in. The fact is that salvation through martyrdom is a core value of this leadership that it has been preaching to the Iranian people for decades. If they are not cynical hypocrites, they are willing to die and see their families die in order to do what they believe they must.

It's just plain silly to think that you or I have any real insight into these people beyond what they claim to believe in. The fact is that salvation through martyrdom is a core value of this leadership that it has been preaching to the Iranian people for decades. If they are not cynical hypocrites, they are willing to die and see their families die in order to do what they believe they must.
There is a big difference between martyrdom and suicide

So you tried them both and concluded they are different, right?

So you tried them both and concluded they are different, right?
:confused:

TMT, it seems that many leftists here do not seem to be able to think in 3 dimensions, where a rogue nation like iran is obviously not going to launch an icbm from teheran into tel aviv. What they WILL do is hand a low-yield device to a terrorist group like hamas, who will place it on a delivery truck, drive under a large apartment building in tel aviv, and then take out a 5-10 square block area, killing say, 25,000 people.

Anyone else here with NBC training? A low-yield does not offer a radioactive cloud to kill their beloved pal arabs in the WB, its blast radius is compact but magnified through the use of a nuclear attachment, but will spread chaos and fear in the delivered nation in spades.

The biggest advantage, besides the deliberate vagueness you mention above, that iran obtains by refusing inspections into their sites, is to prevent the cataloguing of their isotopes, so that future blast sites cannot be pinned down to a particular facility.

Were iran to detonate an atomic bomb under the white house right now, NOONE would know is came from them, since their isotopes are NOT catalogued.

Te combination of an un-catalogued inventory, and willingness, ability and desire to apply war/terrorism through proxies, is more than sufficient justification for israel and the arab nations - who also could potentially be struck by an iranian proxy (see: Khobar towers) - to attack iran and terminate both its nuclear weapons program, and its regime.

Last edited:

Anyone else here with NBC training?

I also have NBC training

But thankfully it didn't turn me into a blowhard know-it-all like you :eusa_angel:

Anyone else here with NBC training?

I also have NBC training

But thankfully it didn't turn me into a blowhard know-it-all like you :eusa_angel:

you tell him, Adolf

TMT, it seems that many leftists here do not seem to be able to think in 3 dimensions, where a rogue nation like iran is obviously not going to launch an icbm from teheran into tel aviv. What they WILL do is hand a low-yield device to a terrorist group like hamas, who will place it on a delivery truck, drive under a large apartment building in tel aviv, and then take out a 5-10 square block area, killing say, 25,000 people.

Anyone else here with NBC training? A low-yield does not offer a radioactive cloud to kill their beloved pal arabs in the WB, its blast radius is compact but magnified through the use of a nuclear attachment, but will spread chaos and fear in the delivered nation in spades.

The biggest advantage, besides the deliberate vagueness you mention above, that iran obtains by refusing inspections into their sites, is to prevent the cataloguing of their isotopes, so that future blast sites cannot be pinned down to a particular facility.

Were iran to detonate an atomic bomb under the white house right now, NOONE would know is came from them, since their isotopes are NOT catalogued.

Te combination of an un-catalogued inventory, and willingness, ability and desire to apply war/terrorism through proxies, is more than sufficient justification for israel and the arab nations - who also could potentially be struck by an iranian proxy (see: Khobar towers) - to attack iran and terminate both its nuclear weapons program, and its regime.

As a former Nuclear Weapons Officer in the US Navy, I can assure you that a low yield surface blast Nuclear weapon will leave radioactive contamination downwind from any blast site. There is no such thing as radioactive containment when a blast goes off.

Knowing how totally satanically evil Iran is, I would favor a strong nuclear attack to remove that country from the face of the earth as long as the winds are blowing north to the Turkic republics or east towards Afghanistan.

Gee, I wonder what economic motivation might explain this decision (assuming this report is not complete nonsense, of course)

Very simple, Iran under Radical Islam is totally out of control. Their thousands of terrorist attacks around the world are perfect evidence of that. They need to be removed from the surface of the earth, totally, completely and for ever.

As a former Nuclear Weapons Officer in the US Navy, I can assure you that a low yield surface blast Nuclear weapon will leave radioactive contamination downwind from any blast site. There is no such thing as radioactive containment when a blast goes off.

Knowing how totally satanically evil Iran is, I would favor a strong nuclear attack to remove that country from the face of the earth as long as the winds are blowing north to the Turkic republics or east towards Afghanistan.

It is precisely to avoid a scenario such as you describe, in Iran or anywhere else in the region, that action must be taken to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons.

Hi Neubarth, welcome aboard this thread!

Here are a few sites discussing these issues:

Federation of American Scientists :: FAS Public Interest Report - Low-Yield Earth-Penetrating Nuclear Weapons

A dedicated blase made underground will still offer some floating, expanded radioactive elements into the atmosphere, certainly this in unavoidable, but far less than an atmospheric detonation as we saw above Hiroshima.

Nuclear Weapon Radiation Effects

LOL!!! two world class nittwitts meet :cuckoo: :lol: :lol:

LOL!!! two world class nittwitts meet :cuckoo: :lol: :lol:

I didn't realize you had met Chris.

What I am picking up from the article in the initial post for the thread and elsewhere is that Saudi Arabia hasn't exactly given 'permission' for Israel to take care of the Iranian nuclear problem, but that Israeli intelligence has concluded they would secretly welcome such a move. Rational Arabs don't trust Iran's leadership any more than we do.

Somebody earlier said that Iran would never attack Israel with nuclear weapons because it would 'endanger Palestinians too'. I don't think that opinion will hold up under any kind of scrutiny. If anybody thinks Mahmoud Ahmadinejad gives a flying fig about the Palestinians, just track the food, clothing, medicine, and other critical support Iran has provided to the Palestinians. It openly supports Hamas and furnishes plenty of rockets and explosives for suicide bombs, but the tally for that other stuff so far: I beieve zero. Iran also magnanimously takes in a few wounded Hamas soldiers, but accepting Palestinian civilian refugees who need to escape the war zone? I believe the tally on that is also zero.

Iran almost certainly cheers every civilian casualty as such can be used to generate bleeding heart criticism against Israel. You find no Iranian criticism of Hamas for intentionally placing its rocket launchers and ammo dumps in heavily populated civilian areas to ensure that enemy fire will cause collateral damage.

Do you really think the Iranian leadership would care who else got hurt if it could take out the hated Israel with impunity?

Forum List

Back