Santorum ahead of Romney in Ohio and Michigan

Santorum may tick off a few more wins, and Romney has the bucks to stay afloat until the convention. I assume if Newt leaves (er, if his ego lets him leave), that helps Santorum. Gotta wonder if the chances of a brokered convention are improving.

MAN that would be fun to watch.

Santorum may tick off a few more wins, and Romney has the bucks to stay afloat until the convention. I assume if Newt leaves (er, if his ego lets him leave), that helps Santorum. Gotta wonder if the chances of a brokered convention are improving.

Now Newt will start the heavy on Santorum. I think the Repubilican party will reunite behind Romney, they hate Obama enough.

I am praying every day for a brokered convention.

Anyone but Romney. (and I am hoping that Paul pulls a sneak win with his peeps dominating the delegation composition from most states. But I will be happy with anyone else but Romney)

Gingrich is having problems raising money and he's sinking in the polls. I think that if Rick wins Michigan and Romney whomps Gingirch in Arizona, there will be a lot of pressure on Newt to get out.

I think Gingrich can leave now with his head held high.

Now, Romney has the bucks, but he doesn't have the love of the GOP base.

If you told me back in November, "Joe, We know you hate Romney, but I'll bet you'll be supporting Santorum in March!" I'd have looked at you funny. Rick was running at 4% in the polls and they were carding him at the debates.

Two dynamics going on here.

1) The GOP base really doesn't like Romney and has to be dragged kicking and screaming to support him.

2) Better funded alternatives - Pawlenty, Perry, Cain, Gingrich - have fallen to a combination of Romney sliming them and their own self-destructive actions.

Rick has survived to this point because he's been steady.

Now, yesterday, there was a story that, big surprise, Romney is going to go about sliming Santorum as being pro-Earmarks and a Washington Insider.

I'm still waiting for Romney to give me a reason to vote FOR Romney, not against anyone else. Well, not me, personally, I'll never vote for him. But Republicans in general.

Gingrich is having problems raising money and he's sinking in the polls. I think that if Rick wins Michigan and Romney whomps Gingirch in Arizona, there will be a lot of pressure on Newt to get out.

I think Gingrich can leave now with his head held high.

Now, Romney has the bucks, but he doesn't have the love of the GOP base.

If you told me back in November, "Joe, We know you hate Romney, but I'll bet you'll be supporting Santorum in March!" I'd have looked at you funny. Rick was running at 4% in the polls and they were carding him at the debates.

Two dynamics going on here.

1) The GOP base really doesn't like Romney and has to be dragged kicking and screaming to support him.

2) Better funded alternatives - Pawlenty, Perry, Cain, Gingrich - have fallen to a combination of Romney sliming them and their own self-destructive actions.

Rick has survived to this point because he's been steady.

Now, yesterday, there was a story that, big surprise, Romney is going to go about sliming Santorum as being pro-Earmarks and a Washington Insider.

I'm still waiting for Romney to give me a reason to vote FOR Romney, not against anyone else. Well, not me, personally, I'll never vote for him. But Republicans in general.
The reason is, for republicans, is that he is NOT Obama.

I'm a Republican, and that isn't a good enough reason for me.

As I've said, many times, if hating the guy who is in was enough, we'd be at the end of President Kerry's second term right now. I have no doubt a lot of Republicans hate Obama and some like myself just don't like the guy and don't think he's a very good president.

But you have to vote FOR someone, not against someone. And Romney can barely get Republicans to vote for him. He's only gotten over 50% in one primary, and that was Nevada which was full of his fellow LDS cult members.

I've babbled about this in another thread, but I'm really stunned that professional politicians campaigning for the most important job in the world don't think to employ (or perhaps listen to) speech and public speaking coaches. Here's my point, and let's remember and appreciate the role image plays in politics:

Romney would seem to have a lot going for him. Good looking. Great hair (okay, I'm being serious here). Good speaking voice. Looks presidential. Wads of cash. Large organization (sure as hell should be, considering he's been running for President since the Ed Sullivan show). A close-enough-to-conservative-for-enough-conservative-voters track record (with obvious flaws, but still close enough). That's quite a bit.

But then he gets in front of a crowd and it all falls apart. First, and most obvious, is his never-ending series of inexplicable gaffes. Holy crap, someone should be screaming at him, stop trying to ad lib. It doesn't freakin' work for you. Make a clear point and shut the hell up.

Second, watch his face. His eyebrows goes up, he appears to be pleading like a dog asking for a bone. He completely loses any air of dignity or authority. He's beggin' ya, please buy this crap, I'm not sure I even believe it, but I need you to buy it, 'cause I really wanna be President.

When he's speaking, he needs to calm the hell down, lower his pitch, and get serious. Plus, as JoeB says, Romney is making virtually no effort to inspire people to vote for him. Is there NO ONE in his freakin' campaign seeing this? Seems to me that Republicans are still pining for Reagan, why in hell can't anyone in Romney's campaign see it?

Holy crap, Mitt, calm down, stop begging, man up, start throwing out some inspirational crap. Assuming you do win the nomination, you're going up against a guy who specializes in soaring, simplistic, empty rhetorical flourishes, and you're gonna come off as the kid who's asking for a larger Snickers bar in his trick-or-treat bag. Sheesh, enough already.

The country deserves a decent choice for President. Now, if only a good Independent gets in there for ME...

I've babbled about this in another thread, but I'm really stunned that professional politicians campaigning for the most important job in the world don't think to employ (or perhaps listen to) speech and public speaking coaches. Here's my point, and let's remember and appreciate the role image plays in politics:

Romney would seem to have a lot going for him. Good looking. Great hair (okay, I'm being serious here). Good speaking voice. Looks presidential. Wads of cash. Large organization (sure as hell should be, considering he's been running for President since the Ed Sullivan show). A close-enough-to-conservative-for-enough-conservative-voters track record (with obvious flaws, but still close enough). That's quite a bit.

But then he gets in front of a crowd and it all falls apart. First, and most obvious, is his never-ending series of inexplicable gaffes. Holy crap, someone should be screaming at him, stop trying to ad lib. It doesn't freakin' work for you. Make a clear point and shut the hell up.

Second, watch his face. His eyebrows goes up, he appears to be pleading like a dog asking for a bone. He completely loses any air of dignity or authority. He's beggin' ya, please buy this crap, I'm not sure I even believe it, but I need you to buy it, 'cause I really wanna be President.

When he's speaking, he needs to calm the hell down, lower his pitch, and get serious. Plus, as JoeB says, Romney is making virtually no effort to inspire people to vote for him. Is there NO ONE in his freakin' campaign seeing this? Seems to me that Republicans are still pining for Reagan, why in hell can't anyone in Romney's campaign see it?

Holy crap, Mitt, calm down, stop begging, man up, start throwing out some inspirational crap. Assuming you do win the nomination, you're going up against a guy who specializes in soaring, simplistic, empty rhetorical flourishes, and you're gonna come off as the kid who's asking for a larger Snickers bar in his trick-or-treat bag. Sheesh, enough already.

The country deserves a decent choice for President. Now, if only a good Independent gets in there for ME...

I think part of the problem is what most people consider his strength. His business acumen.

The thing is, in the business world, you usually don't run into a lot of internal dissent. It's a system that rewards sycophancy and discourages discord. The guy who says, "I think we are making a horrible mistake here" is the one who will be cleaning out his desk, even if he's right.

I think part of the problem is what most people consider his strength. His business acumen.

The thing is, in the business world, you usually don't run into a lot of internal dissent. It's a system that rewards sycophancy and discourages discord. The guy who says, "I think we are making a horrible mistake here" is the one who will be cleaning out his desk, even if he's right.

Yeah, good point, forgot about the business angle, and your point is amplified by the current anger against all things big business. He's stuck with this. Seems to me the thing to do is stick his chest out and strongly defend the positive points of big business and hope Obama's populist meme doesn't catch on and more than it already has.

I don't think Romney can beat Obama, and it may not be close.

I had to go three pages deep on these discussion boards to see anyone even talking about Romney. Is he trying to stay below the radar? Are Republicans purposely distracting us with clowns like Santorum, Perry, Bachmann, Newt, Trump & Cain? And talk about birth control? This is classic GOP playbook. Control the conversation.

Oh by the way. Trump was on Jimmy Falon last night and they were playing the game where you give a one word clue to your partner and they are suppose to guess what the secret word is. Trump is not a bright guy. Savy businessman, but not smart. No doubt only reason he is a millionaire because he was born into it. So who cares what he thinks or says?

Anways, I just saw a Romney advertisement here in Michigan. I haven't seen any Santorum advertisements. Yet he's beating Romney? LOL. Santorum can't beat Obama!

And I can't believe Romney's bullshit advertisement where he says he cares about Michigan. We all remember he wanted GM to go bankrupt. Yea Mitt. Rip off our Pensions and destroy all those good paying American jobs just like he learned how to do at Bain Capital.

Not a chance Obama loses. Doesn't matter who they run.

Forum List

Back