Santa story probably fake

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
The heartwarming story of a five year old boy dying in Santa's arms as Santa leaves in tears appears as if it may be fabricated. Press sources were unable to substantiate the hospital, the nurse at the scene or even a 5 year old boy dying in Knoxville

Story of boy who died in Santa's arms begins to unravel - CNN.com

The News Sentinel cannot establish that Schmitt-Matzen's account is inaccurate, but more importantly, ongoing reporting cannot establish that it is accurate," McElroy and Venable wrote. "Therefore, because the story does not meet the newspaper's standards of verification, we are no longer standing by the veracity of Schmitt-Matzen's account."
CNN called all the major hospitals in the Knoxville area that treat children and none could confirm his account. The coroner's office was unable to provide information without a name. A search of obituaries in Tennessee newspapers from the beginning of 2016 for 5-year-old boys did not yield conclusive proof confirming or refuting the account.

I assumed when I read this story that the reporter had done his job, and verified the story with the parents, nurses, doctors, hospital, but apparently he interviewed this man and took him at his word. This reporter should be fired, and the newspaper that ran the story should issue a retraction.

I assumed when I read this story that the reporter had done his job, and verified the story with the parents, nurses, doctors, hospital, but apparently he interviewed this man and took him at his word. This reporter should be fired, and the newspaper that ran the story should issue a retraction.

Its a "feel good" story...but evidently fake

I can't really condemn the guy, he seems to have wanted to create a Christmas legend......but it is exploitative of the public good will and falsely enhances his "Santa cred"

I can't really condemn the guy, he seems to have wanted to create a Christmas legend......but it is exploitative of the public good will and falsely enhances his "Santa cred"
No, we need to hold both accountable because they have perpetrated a fraud on the American public.

The "Santa" should, at the very least, be denied the opportunity to represent Santa Claus again, since he has violated the spirit of Christmas with a bald faced lie.

The reporter should lose his job, because he did not verify this story before turning it into to his editors.

No, we need to hold both accountable because they have perpetrated a fraud on the American public.

The "Santa" should, at the very least, be denied the opportunity to represent Santa Claus again, since he has violated the spirit of Christmas with a bald faced lie.

The reporter should lose his job, because he did not verify this story before turning it into to his editors.

It wasn't just the reporter but the national networks that picked up the story

It is easy enough to check and see if a 5 year old boy died recently

To me, the guy should be put to work at a Children's Hospital. Then he can see up close and personal the kind of thing that he decided to lie about.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

BatBoy3.jpg

Forum List

Back