Santa Barbara Paper Is History

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
One of the only California newspapers that endorsed Donald Trump is gone.
Wendy McCaw is the person responsible for its demise.

"Many residents and former News-Press employees blame McCaw for destroying the goodwill she inherited when she bought the paper"

“It was a professional paper when the New York Times owned it,” said Kevin Young, a retired Santa Barbara real estate broker who subscribed to the News-Press for decades. Young said he grew increasingly disenchanted with the paper as it shrank and as McCaw’s political shadow fell over its opinion and news columns. “It became a nauseating way to start the day for us more left-wing California Democrats,” Young said.

"Many residents and former News-Press employees blame McCaw for destroying the goodwill she inherited when she bought the paper"

“It was a professional paper when the New York Times owned it,” said Kevin Young, a retired Santa Barbara real estate broker who subscribed to the News-Press for decades. Young said he grew increasingly disenchanted with the paper as it shrank and as McCaw’s political shadow fell over its opinion and news columns. “It became a nauseating way to start the day for us more left-wing California Democrats,” Young said.

“It was a professional paper when the New York Times owned it,”
Thats an oxymoron if I've ever seen one.

While surviving off of capitalist comforts.

Most people became disenchanted with the New York Times when they quit using outhouses.

the NYT owned it !!:auiqs.jpg:

When a Trumphumper bought it, it went downhill, then in the toilet.
Really?

“It became a nauseating way to start the day for us more left-wing California Democrats,” Young said.

Sounds like Young is almost as partisan as you are.

But the owner should have had more sense than to back a right leaning newspaper in that area,

I grew up reading the Santa Barbara News Press. From the time I could first read, it seems, it was part of my dally routine, at some point, to work my way through the day's edition of it. I continued to subscribe to it when I moved to Lompoc in the late 1990s, not fining Lompoc's own local paper satisfactory. When I moved to Sacramento, in 2004, it was no longer practical to subscribe to the SBNP. I subscribed, for a while, to the Sacramento Bee, but it just didn't do it for me. There could never, for me, be a substitute for the Santa Barbara News Press, and when I could no longer easily get it, that was pretty much the end of newspaper reading for me.

I grew up reading the Santa Barbara News Press. From the time I could first read, it seems, it was part of my dally routine, at some point, to work my way through the day's edition of it. I continued to subscribe to it when I moved to Lompoc in the late 1990s, not fining Lompoc's own local paper satisfactory. When I moved to Sacramento, in 2004, it was no longer practical to subscribe to the SBNP. I subscribed, for a while, to the Sacramento Bee, but it just didn't do it for me. There could never, for me, be a substitute for the Santa Barbara News Press, and when I could no longer easily get it, that was pretty much the end of newspaper reading for me.
It was a quality newspaper.

The carcass of this paper might be purchased by Gannett, which will strip staff down to the bare minimum and publish pages of ads and national news, turning local reporting into a pablum of restaurant reviews and local sports teams. It's happening all across the country and mainstream Americans are losing that voice that would hold elected officials accountable and report on both the good and the bad a city has to offer.

The carcass of this paper might be purchased by Gannett, which will strip staff down to the bare minimum and publish pages of ads and national news, turning local reporting into a pablum of restaurant reviews and local sports teams. It's happening all across the country and mainstream Americans are losing that voice that would hold elected officials accountable and report on both the good and the bad a city has to offer.
You just described KEYT TV in SB. Owned by Smith Broadcasting.

You just described KEYT TV in SB. Owned by Smith Broadcasting.

In the time I lived there, I think there were only three TV stations that were local. KEYT on VHF-3 was the main one. There was a PBS station, KCET on UHF-28, and at some point, I discovered that there was a station on UHF-24 that seemed to just be the same content as VHF-3.

Craig-McCaw-and-Wendy-Petrak.jpg

Here is Wendy and her ex husband Craig McCaw. His wife got half in the divorce which, at the time, made her the richest woman in California. In 1994 he sold his cell phone company to AT&T.

Here is the Wiki article detailing the timeline of the newspaper's history under Wendy McCaw...

Here is the article about her abuse of employees...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back