Zone1 San Francisco Removed Algebra From Middle School In the Name Of Equity. Guess What Happened?

The main purpose for algebra is to identify students who will go on to courses and/or careers that require advanced math. Probably less than 1 in 1000 students. It is good to stretch your mind, however. My teacher told us that if we remember nothing else to remember how to calculate ratios. He was right.
Algebra is useful for all kinds of things to help one excel in life. For example, even to do one's own taxes, the IRS worksheets involved require using a little algebra. Very useful in many aspects of managing finances.

Interestingly, you don't start needing algebra for managing finances until you have significant money. Wonder if there is a reverse correlation there - if you want to be rich, chances are it might help to know algebra.

Knowing ratios is good, like you said, helps to figure out which choices at the supermarket are better deals (although many supermarkets do the math for you now, and show price per ounce or whatever).

I'd guess that in addition to technical professions like engineering, lots of skilled trade professionals use algebra, and it's probably essential for many who run successful businesses.

Regards,
Jim

I have yet to read all the letters and post cards from kids in 6th and 7th grade, pining away, looking forward to taking Algebra I in eighth grade. I am positive my daughter did not. The twins probably did not and still managed to plow through math and science coursed in college. Personally, I was more the type, my parents looked over what I was signing up for and said, "Oh, heck no, boy! You're taking tough math and science courses all 4 years of high school. You can goof off on your own after age 18 if you have time".
It's normally not mandatory to be taken in 8th grade, but it is an option for kids who want to take an advanced math curriculum which often allows one to get college credit if grades are up to par. I did it, and my kids did it.

Normally, you need algebra I and II, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus, if I recall correctly.

The Black kids in my class did just fine. :)

Other kids choose sports, literature, history, etc., so they take Math 8 and such and get to serve us at restaurants. :)

Regards,
Jim

San Francisco like most school districts in the country hold off algebra until the 9th grade. The percentage of students taking it in 8th grade is 24% and the US Department of Education is pushing to increase that number.

A Leak in the STEM Pipeline: Taking Algebra Early

Just to be clear, your link says most school districts offer it in 8th grade - it says 59% then 70% at the end (I am surprised if only 59%, but the news is full of articles on how terribly our schools are doing). 24% opting to take it is not surprising.

Regards,
Jim

It's normally not mandatory to be taken in 8th grade, but it is an option for kids who want to take an advanced math curriculum which often allows one to get college credit if grades are up to par. I did it, and my kids did it.

Normally, you need algebra I and II, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus, if I recall correctly.

The Black kids in my class did just fine. :)

Other kids choose sports, literature, history, etc., so they take Math 8 and such and get to serve us at restaurants. :)

Regards,
Jim
Advanced classes for the gifted are usually to be found, even if a local Colleges. When I was Cub Master and Webelos Den Leader, I had an 11 year old actual genius joined the den for a year. The kid was taking 1st Semester College Calculus and 1st Semester College physics at one of the local universities. I understand he was still blowing the bell curve for students in those classes. Even if you are the king of lesson plans, scheduling and preparation, try being relevant, educational in one setting to both 5th and 6th graders as well as a young man operating at fresh/soph college science major intellectual level. His dad asked me. His dad was the NeuroSurgeon that put my daughter back together when she broke her neck clean in two on both sides of the 3rd cervical vertebrae, so I did the best I could for all involve in the den. IQ is definitely linked to heredity, and there are opportunities for the gifted.

In a country where each state sets its own educational policies and practices, the United States epitomizes a variegated patchwork of high and low performance rates in the face of nationally-standardized testing. So, while other ‘Top Ten’ or ‘Best and Worst’ lists may serve the supercilious aesthetic of an already-divided nation on the front of mathematics education and achievement, it might be worthwhile to take a closer look at what factors are actually populating these honor rolls.

A score of 521 represents the current benchmark for college readiness in Mathematics on the SATs. Below are the top highest and lowest-performing states based on this mean score.

In 2022, Wisconsin topped the list for students with the highest average SAT scores in Mathematics.

Although Wisconsin lands in first place for the highest SAT Math score at 629 points—108 points higher than the nation’s average—it also had one of the nation’s lowest number of test takers. In 2022, only 2% of Wisconsin’s high school seniors participated in the SATs.

Take a deeper Look.
Last I read, the College Board (which runs the SAT testing) decided to implement extra points based upon DNA ("socio-economic status" or something like that). It was an extra score called the "adversity score."

(paywall)

Basically, Blacks and Hispanics get extra points.

Due to public outcry, they cancelled the plans and implemented an "environmental landscape dashboard") or something like that.

Talk about systemic racism! Looking for any sneaky way they can to unjustly level the playing field based upon factors other than how high the test scores are.

There may be more recent info. I am not up on it.

Last edited:
1. The word "racist" is seldom used correctly.

2. But those "liberal" school boards that have removed algebra from some schools are pursing genuinely racist policies.

3. The boards are saying that certain ethnicities are too stupid to possibly understand math.
It is the true systemic racism. They measure outcomes based upon race, and then they make policies attempting to adjust outcomes based upon what they measure.

They pick and choose where to apply this racism. They apply it in math class, but not on the basketball court.

The policies they implement are based upon the DNA someone was born with, something they have no control over.

We should remove race and ethnicity from every local, state, and federal form, every standardized test, and every college application.

Of course the school board was elected. (Your link was not so relevant.)

Notice that the OP link is about the parents' initiative to override the school board with a referendum. Algebra was removed ten years ago, and parents are fed up.

Regards,
Jim
Hopefully they’ve learned that elections have consequences

Back on Topic.

Removing Algebra, and therefore Geometry too, is complete Bullshit.
With ONE exception, which is, NOT enough students in the school to justify a class of 2,3,4 or 5 students. I get this <<<<<.

I will NEVER understand removing a CORE class because of some BS equity or equality claim.

San Francisco did not remove algebra from middle school.

This sequence delayed the introduction of algebra to high school, allowing for a more gradual progression of math concepts and skills.
Goodness grief.
The goal of this change was to provide a solid foundation in fundamental math skills and conceptual understanding before the introduction of more advanced topics like algebra. The new sequence also aimed to address achievement gaps and provide more equitable access to math education for all students.
Sounds like this nonsense was written by Randi Weingarten or even a "fact checking" website.

Forum List

Back